No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-02-23, 6:05pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

Default Oxy Con: quick fix to threaded connector

Once upon a time I agreed to demo/teach some 45 min. mini classes in lampworking at the high school. Little did I know that they had almost nothing. By almost nothing I mean they had one mapp gas torch..nothing else. So I packed up most of my studio and hauled it to the high school, including my beloved oxy con. It's one of the souped up ones from ABR made by Extreme Oxygen.

As I was packing up to secure all my gear for tomorrow I went to unscrew my green oxy hose from the plastic threaded doohickey where the oxy comes out. It broke. Sheared right off. (*gasp* knots in tummy, whimper, moan)

I called a friend, Allen Morris, who is also a genius. (No really, he is. Working on his PhD, degree in Physics, etc, etc.) He looked over my baby, er, I mean the oxy con and told me what I needed to do, in theory, and sent me to either Home Depot (no help) or the as an alternate suggested I talk to the gentlemen at Garland Oxygen Supply in Garland, TX. The guys at GOS figured out the correct fitting, applied teflon tape for me and just GAVE me the fitting. I have promised to make them a batch of brownies and they looked very happy at that idea.

OK so the pictures are:
how the doohickey looks when it's not broke, right side connects to oxy hose
the broken doohickey
the new BRASS doohickey sticking out of the front of the oxy con, it wobbles a bit but that does not effect functionality
looking through the access hatch in back with the filter removed so you can see the top of the brass fitting poking into the clear plastic hose.
Attached Images

Last edited by FosterFire; 2010-02-23 at 6:12pm.
Old 2010-02-25, 7:53am

Thumbs up Great info,Thank you so much

Robin glad you got your baby fixed! I can feel your pain and that happened to me after a demo. I have been trying to get it fixed locally but no one will do it w/o a prescription. My choice for fixing it is to ship it out of state and that is way to expensive right now.
My oxygen concentrator is broken in the same place but has a brass fitting that now spins freely..... Someone at our glass guild suggested I fix it the same way you did. I will give it a try
MarieAnn
Old 2010-02-26, 8:13am
SCIENCE Teacher!

Please post back here and let us know how it goes for you.
Old 2010-03-04, 2:53pm

Hi Robbin,
I will post after I have hubby help me get the darn cover off.
Can't seem to do it myself because I cannot get the hose disconnected it just spins and spins....grrrrr
Old 2010-03-04, 3:52pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

As illustrated in FosterFire's pics there are 2 pieces you need to do this repair.
1. a hose barb to female pipe (NPT) adapter that will push into the clear plastic hose rather tightly. Most are 1/4" or 3/16" size hose barb and 1/4" pipe
2. a 1/4" male Pipe to "B" male (welding hose thread) adapter. I would be very supprised if any local welding supply did not have these in stock.

I know Lowes and Home Depot around here has the first item. The secomd is a specialty thing from welding shops... in most cases. Cost maybe $5.00 total

PJ