LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-07-14, 11:57am
Resident Luny

Default those of you with auralens glasses....

I'm getting a pair for myself, and relegating my old pair to "visitor in the studio" status. I still am thinking about goosenecks, shields, etc....but until I sort that out, having two pair of glasses isn't a bad thing. My parents want to watch me do some glass stuff and I only have my one pair...

Which frames do you guys like and why? I don't care if I look sexy due to frame shape (we all know AUR92 ITSELF is just damn sexy...)...so if the safety line is best, most eyecover, most comfort, that's fine.

Thanks for your opinions in advance!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- artisan lampwork beads, jewelry, and a little bit of rock n' roll.

Be kind to one another. The world needs it more than ever.
Old 2005-07-14, 12:27pm
Safety ALWAYS

Quote:
we all know AUR92 ITSELF is just damn sexy...
Old 2005-07-14, 12:54pm
needs to light the torch.

I sent in an old pair of my regular frames and had Auralens put in prescription AUR92 lenses and I am SO happy with them!!!

I bought a pair of small "Downtown" glasses and I like them a lot but they are kinda tight on my head... the tightness is great though because they don't slide off my face LOL

Old 2005-07-14, 1:13pm

They have some nice frames and lenses that can be made into prescriptions. Yes it is nice and I don't know about sexy just cool.
Old 2005-07-14, 1:41pm
Crispy Critter

Now that I figured out the right position, I really like my shield. No hot glass shards flying up my nose! But it's not too portable, so that's a minor pain.

Old 2005-07-14, 2:55pm
Resident Luny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Leslie
They have some nice frames and lenses that can be made into prescriptions. Yes it is nice and I don't know about sexy just cool.
yes but do you have a particular frame you would reccomend? =)

- artisan lampwork beads, jewelry, and a little bit of rock n' roll.

Be kind to one another. The world needs it more than ever.
Old 2005-07-19, 11:06pm

I tried on Jon's (Sonje/moonlight creation's son) pair of "downtown" frames & I loved them...that's my "dream pair" I know when I do break down & order them I'll end up wearing them "out in public" as sunglasses--they're very cool!
(and yes, I do have the "non-sexy" econo frame didy's now--tho since I torch at night I usually swap to just good quality safety lenses)

Mike--I've got a Q for you--I've got a LOT of "Rx-able" sunglasses (really--used to manage a sunglass shop--need I say more?)--what's the max base curve frame that you can put non-Rx lenses into? Thinking maybe if I don't go with the "downtown", maybe converting one of my uh, "excess" might be an option....
~Lyn

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies

Last edited by lunamoonshadow; 2005-07-19 at 11:11pm.
Old 2005-07-20, 4:43am
Safety ALWAYS

Lyn - we just started doing "8 Base" plano lenses over the past couple of month - the ONLY restriction is that we need a sample lens from the frame (you can supply the original sunglass lens), AND if the lens is thick, for example, the AGW series, it will need to be back-beveled to allow the lens to sit properly in the eyewire groove.
Old 2005-07-20, 6:44am
Button Queen

I'm an anal Virgo, so I chose a frame using a very scientific method. I took my eyeglasses that fit real well into an eyeglass place (DOC I think) and had them find the size numbers from the frame. I then went to the Auralens website and found a frame with similar numbers.

I am VERY happy with them. They fit great! And comfort was my main concern.

Barbara
Old 2005-07-20, 7:06am
Safety ALWAYS

Barbara - that is EXACTLY what we recommend people do! Good for you!
Old 2005-07-20, 7:06am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

I am so frikkin happy I don;t have proper eyewear yet, but just got a mail from auralens that they can put lenses in a frame provided by me, and it so happends to be I found the most outragious Dame Edna frame with rinestones AND its pink!!!

Old 2005-07-20, 7:18am
can't stop the signal

Suzanne -

when you get them i think a picture will be in order

judy
Old 2005-07-20, 7:35am
traumaqueen

ow yes I will definetly send in a picture,I am so exited!!!

Old 2005-07-20, 7:38am
Safety ALWAYS

oh...my...ghod...
Old 2005-07-20, 7:44am
traumaqueen

This is just tooooooooooooooooooo cool! I can't wait for you guys to do this little number

Old 2005-07-20, 7:46am
traumaqueen

this is the frame... only it's pink

are you up for a challenge?

Old 2005-07-20, 8:01am
Safety ALWAYS

uh, no. (runs from the room screaming)

You have GOT to be kidding.

You ARE kidding, right?
Old 2005-07-20, 9:13am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAurelius
uh, no. (runs from the room screaming)

You have GOT to be kidding.

You ARE kidding, right?

Just in case she is NOT kidding, Mike,
this pair just HAS to appear in your site.
just to show everyone how far you are willing to go for your clients.

also, i'm sure each one of your staff will want to "check" this pair for themselves, maybe even take a photo...

this pair is great for attracting attention in fairs,
but i'd like to be there when suzanne explains her insurance people
that these glasses are essential pro's equipment...
the look on their faces will be a worth a photo for sure.
Old 2005-07-20, 10:01am
traumaqueen

No I am dead serious. I really am sending you this pair to put lenses in!! I just mailed with one of your people, and received the adress. It is possible right?? I want a pair of lenses wich is so ugly its good. I want it to be so tacky that people will refere to me as the fruitcake with the funky glasses, and yes you have to make a picture for your website

I am honoust to god truly serious

Old 2005-07-20, 10:08am
traumaqueen

oh mike... you probably going to have two of these coming in... someone else LOVES my idea and wants the same thing

Old 2005-07-20, 10:11am
traumaqueen

there has been a slight change of design though...this is THE ONE

I love love love it

Old 2005-07-20, 10:42am
Safety ALWAYS

Well, you'll certainly beat Sharon Peters hands down for the most incredibly silly frames in the world...

good ghod
Old 2005-07-20, 12:11pm

Cool! Most of my frames are base 6 (or less ) All have the original lenses....now...to pick the ones I most want to turn to "lampwork gear" ....decisions decisions.....hmmmm....Thinking I might do my favorite the original oakley wire OO's @ the end of the summer--they just suffered a horrible scratching accident (my own stupid fault) & I don't think I really want to do the whole "replacement lens" routine--plus the lens in them was an "accident" (wrong irridium, not a color sold for that frame, "few-of" kind of deal, ya know?) Those are totally flat....Then again I've got 3 pair (don't ask!) of the same frame of Reptiles (with diferent color lenses in each though!) & one is "de-laminating" @ the corners...maybe instead of sending it in for the warrantee replacement I should convert that one....(are you laughing yet Mike??)
Sad thing is last year I sold like a dozen (or so) pairs on e-greed to pay my health insurance, & gifted another dozen or so as x-mas gifts (new, never worn of course!)--most of them were contest prizes, etc! (and then there were the "employee shopping days....) Sure makes more sense to "convert" than to buy another frame tho!!!
~Lyn

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2005-07-20, 12:35pm
Safety ALWAYS

I'm rolling on the floor, actually...ahem.

Yeah, if the shape of the frame itself is the slightest bit "goofy", I absolutely have to have the original lenses so I can trace the lenses themselves.

I've got a digital 3-D tracing machine that is tied into a CNC 3-axis edger - a wonderful toy that paid for itself about 6 months after we got it. The only drawback is that the tracer is set up for "conventional" frames, certainly NOT "unconventional" ones.

Standard prescription frames have what's called a "4 base" curve. If you look down at the eyewire of the frame from on top, you will see a slight curve of the eyewire. This curve is specifically set so that the majority of lenses that are inserted will fit with little or no problem. Most edgers default to a 4 base curve automatically.

The problems arise with sunglass frames. The current 'fad' is the highly curved frames, they have an 8 base curve, so, we have to first match the lens curve, then the curve of the frame. It get exciting at times (rolling my eyes) and you'd learn all sorts of new words when we occasionally mess up and forget to make the 8 base setting on the edger.

If I were you, Lyn, I'd keep the good ones, send me the one with the delaminating lens (polarized, I assume) for new lens insertion.
Old 2005-07-20, 1:13pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanne
there has been a slight change of design though...this is THE ONE

I love love love it
I am having utter paroxysms at the fabulousness... wow envy envy envy!

Old 2005-07-20, 1:16pm
sunscreen me baby

Do I get to see the sexy Auralenses at the Gathering? Huh?

~

Old 2005-07-20, 1:26pm
Safety ALWAYS

Oh yeah...I'll be there along with a couple of my buddies, sporting my new chameleon look ROFL!!
Old 2005-07-20, 8:53pm

Yup Mike, you guessed correctly--polarized...rose tint too...base 6 if I remember correctly & 9 freaking layers in the lens...delaminating at the edges of course! Not a scratch on 'em either....
Those purty pink ones are looking awfully fun though.....(and have you seen the thread over at the "blue" forum? Tink has some very interesting frames she's been coveting for "conversion", lol!)
~Lyn

Old 2005-07-20, 9:13pm
Administrator

I NEED those frames!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 2005-07-20, 10:24pm
traumaqueen

see mike.... I am not as crazy as you thought... there are a lot more galls who really NEED this