Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2024-04-14, 9:30am

Default Which colors are layered, veiled, etc. see pic

I'd like to find more rods with a layered construction: colored center and different color outside. Not just clear on the outside or filigrana (clear over color).

I just got some freebies from Frantz as examples: Orange Dreamsicle, an ODD from Vetrofond and a lavender over white that was unlabeled (Mike Mystery bundle).

Last time I asked Mike to identify a free color I got NO response. I guess I should not complain, but for their sake you would think it would benefit them to tell me so I could buy more.

Anyway, if you see a cross-section like those pictured in some colors, I'd be so happy to hear about them. Doesn't have to be white center. Thank you!
Attached Images

Old 2024-04-14, 1:16pm

Vetrofond made a lot of cored colors, but sadly they are no longer making lampwork glass. I don't recall seeing any from Effetre other than filigrana. Lauscha makes some tri color rods, but they are also only making a minimum amount of glass. You can check Flame Dame to see if she has any in stock.
Old 2024-04-14, 1:18pm
Slogan Challenged...

Vetrofond did it a lot. There is also candy corn and tomato soup, both yummy underated colors. That purple might be eff blueberry swirl. Or one of those strange Eff mixed cane that always turn out muddy for me. See how it melts and show us the bead, we could probably guess better then.

You know, to work these, you should melt about half an inch or so and then fold it over itself so it swirls. This helps the center color come up.

Some really good ones otherwise include Effetre Carribean Sea. I keep meaning to stock up more of that! Effetre cool colors Kiwi and Laguna if you can find them. Also I liked the Sunset ones.

The Avorios are already marbled, I really like them. But you can make them yourself too. Sometimes i do that.

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Last edited by KJohn; 2024-04-15 at 1:44pm.
Old 2024-04-14, 1:28pm

Frantz told me a few years ago the only cool color they would order in the future is Fossil, so Kiwi, Laguna, Carribean Sea. Looks like they still have some Carribean Sea and Sunset so if those are some you like, you should get them now. Sometimes you can find some of the old Vetrofond stuff on Facebook destash pages, and there was one seller on Etsy that had some a while back. Not sure he still does though
Old 2024-04-14, 4:07pm

Thanks for the info. I am actually a glassblower working with 104. While the norm in Italy, it is pretty unheard of anywhere else. I just love the colors though and am thoroughly enjoying Ivory and all it's crazy reactions.

I have a Midrange Plus for cane application and fuming. The 104 glass works so much longer that I can spend time outside the glory doing embellishments. Still getting the hang of it but it certainly hasn't disappointed.

KJohn...I just bought some Avorios but was intrigued to hear you make them yourself. Care to share a little how-to? I dare say the amount of silver ivory stringer and other cane that I can make at one time might make the lampworkers blush. LOL
Attached Images

Last edited by danieljanse; 2024-04-14 at 4:13pm.
Old 2024-04-15, 6:19am
J R Hooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieljanse View Post
...I am actually a glassblower working with 104.
Oh wow, that's awesome.

Old 2024-04-15, 11:25am
dances with ideas...

Those vessels(?) are cool -- sort of ancient looking! How big are they?

Vetrofond made many layered colors, as others mentioned. You could easily make some custom colors yourself by encasing a rod or cylinder with a second color.

As for marbling, Melanie Graham made a video about mixing colors years ago. For instance, Effetre black + white will give pastel purples. I tried mixing and it seemed to take a really long time to get to a consistent color. But early in the mixing process you get a marbled appearance.

Melanie has a ton of info on her blog about how various colors interact with one another. http://melanie-graham.blogspot.com/

Old 2024-04-15, 11:40am

Hi...that vase is about 6" tall and wide...stout little guy! I have actually been making most of them taller (8-10") but that one was a bit of a whim. They do look like heavily fossilized rock layers. The reactions of silver and the ivory are stunning. Silver Ivory twisties give that neat fossil-bug look. LOL

I have found that blog already! Also Laura Sparling's blog. Thank you...another great asset for working with 104 glass is the community. Do you folks know how much more open you are about techniques than glassblowers??? I'm soaking it up as fast as I can.

Now if I was just better in front of the torch.
Old 2024-04-15, 1:47pm
Slogan Challenged...

Thats a beautiful piece! I would love to see more. You can post in the gallery if you want to, newbies & intermediates. It's not limited to beads.

and everything is practice. You are doing great

Avorios, just mix the two colors. I usually start by striping color onto an ivory rod. Nice thicker swipes since the ivory can swallow everything up so easily. And like Roberta said, don't overmix to keep the marbled look. Have fun!

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2024-04-15, 5:13pm

Your vases are beautiful and silvered ivory is one of my favorite effects.
Old 2024-04-16, 9:59am

Thanks for the invite. I posted some more vase pics in the gallery. I went looking on FlameDame for some interesting Lausha and Vetrofond and ended up with $150 worth of stuff in my cart. How does that happen? LOL

Mike Frantz helped me order some large diameter color rods from Effetre which should arrive in May. They only offered a small selection but perhaps that just depends on when you ask. As described, they are similar in size to what I am used to from the German suppliers for 96 glass (30mm diameter). These are great for making cane or adding a colored core to my work.

In any event, I was so glad that Ivory in frit or powder form worked in a similar manner to rod. When layered over white, it is hard to tell that it isn't a solid color.