Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2008-02-03, 6:39am

Default Metals for Fuming?

Hey I was just wondering what anyone's experiences are for fuming with metals other than gold and silver. Has anyone tried white gold or platium? Copper? Palladium?

Burning a tanked Phantom
Old 2008-02-03, 9:12am

I found copper fuming to be ugly. You also need really top notch ventilation if you are going to fume with copper. I have tried palladium, but it didn't do that much for me. Can't afford platinum.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-02-03, 1:37pm
No Problem!

Never tried it but I just read something the other day about fuming with platinum. Maybe after I buy the things I actually need.
Gold is expensive enough..it's like spraying money on your art..better look good at that price.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Beau & Shani)

Old 2008-02-03, 2:19pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvingBeau View Post
Never tried it but I just read something the other day about fuming with platinum. Maybe after I buy the things I actually need.
Gold is expensive enough..it's like spraying money on your art..better look good at that price.
Pick up some placer gold from the Sacramento/Tahoe area. You can get a gram for about $40.00. I have been fuming with my one gram baggie for a year now, and it is only half gone.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2008-02-03, 3:36pm
No Problem!

Great thanks Eric, I'll have to check that out. That's my neck o' the woods.

(Beau & Shani)

Old 2008-02-03, 6:52pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvingBeau View Post
Great thanks Eric, I'll have to check that out. That's my neck o' the woods.
Here is where I got mine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-GRAM-OF-PLACER...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 2008-02-03, 7:14pm
No Problem!

Nice Thanks!

(Beau & Shani)

Old 2008-02-04, 6:45pm
Lampworker

i tried platinum a while ago...it created a rainbow of colors when i got it to come out right. the problem was it burns off really eaisly and its very difficult to get glass to stick to it.
Old 2008-02-04, 8:51pm

how much is platinum?

Burning a tanked Phantom
Old 2008-02-05, 1:55am
Don't be a zombie...

i tried platinum a few years back myself with similar results...hard to work but when it seems to choose to work it's awesome.
Old 2008-02-05, 5:27am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadymilkman23 View Post
how much is platinum?
$1780 per ounce - over twice the price of gold.

Old 2008-02-05, 5:39am

I'd bet a gram would last for a long time though...and that would work out to about 58 bucks.
Old 2008-02-05, 6:34am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
i tried platinum a few years back myself with similar results...hard to work but when it seems to choose to work it's awesome.
From my jewelry class I know that it melts at a very high temperature. Did you fume with a oxy, neutral, or reducing flame? Also did you any issues with your fuming rod melting? A friend of mine is going to send me a couple of prongs from an old platinum ring so I am going to be trying it out in the next couple of weeks. Thanks!

Old 2008-02-05, 1:44pm
Don't be a zombie...

It's been so long ago I can't honestly say what I did anymore...I know I used the #3 tip of a carlisleCC...great help I am eh? It can be really nice I know that.