No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-11-05, 8:44pm

Default fading color on etched beads?

Hi there,

I just had a customer contact me wondering about some etched beads she purchased from me a couple of months ago. She said she made herself a bracelet and noticed the colors of the beads had faded, were not as vibrant and sharp after wearing it often. She just recently bought a similar set from me and is hesitant to make and sell a piece with them if the color is going to fade again and was wondering if there was anything to treat them with to prevent fading. (I suggested oil.)
I was just wondering if anyone else has ever seen or heard of etched beads fading.

Lisa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-11-05, 9:30pm
Sheila Davis Designs

I've never heard of that....but I don't know what to tell you regarding the customer. Might be her imagination.

Old 2013-11-05, 10:11pm
Glass-aholic

I agree, glass does not really loose it's color. It's possible that their 'luster' or glow has faded because of dirt... The rough surface will collect crap over time. Maybe suggest a cleaning with glass cleaner and a toothbrush, and erasure her that the color is solid, and can not be worn off as it is not painted etc, (and possibly offer to make a sample 'fresh' bead to compare to the older ones? Maybe have her send you a pic as well. Maybe this can help pinpoint the answer...??? Good luck, at least she wants to order more!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2013-11-06, 8:34am

Thanks for the input, Girls! I told her to try cleaning them with oil, like almond or coconut.

Old 2013-11-06, 8:39am
Sheila Davis Designs

Mineral oil works great, it's odorless. When I went to the grocery store to get some, I didn't know what it was used for so I couldn't find it. Turns out it's a laxative! So now you have a double duty oil!

Old 2013-11-06, 8:58am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila D. View Post
Mineral oil works great, it's odorless. When I went to the grocery store to get some, I didn't know what it was used for so I couldn't find it. Turns out it's a laxative! So now you have a double duty oil!
Baby oil is mineral oil and usually much cheaper than the stuff found in the pharmaceutical aisle.

(Lol. If you drink enough of any oil, it will have laxative affects!)

Old 2013-11-06, 11:08am

I wonder if she is spraying her hair while she is wearing jewlery? That is a really good way of making dirt magnets!

Barbara
Old 2013-11-07, 3:18am

Etched glass is porous so if it is not protected, dirt and grease will fill the cracks and turn it a little dull. The usual way to prevent that from happening is to rub it with oil once the beads are finished and cleaned.

There is also a kind of sealant that is used by fusing people but I am not sure what is in it, it may just be some kind of mineral oil in a dispersion. Of course, the oil rubs off with time so you need to clean the beads from time to time and re-oil them. I usually include a little note in my packages on How to care for you etched beads so that my customers are aware if it.

On a side note, oil does make the glass attract dust but on jewelry it is not too much of a problem because it wears off. I remember once talking with a glass museum director at an opening, where large installations of etched pieces were presented. She immediately said it must be a pain to clean as the etched pieces are always oiled and any dust grain would be seen immediately under the powerful lighting.

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2013-11-07, 6:48am
Angie09

Dawn dish soap and warm water! Cleans anything!!!
Old 2013-11-07, 10:09am

Anne, thank you for your detailed response. I'll pass the info on to my customer. I never really thought about etched beads needing special care. Then again, I don't really wear my own beads.

Thanks all!

Old 2013-11-07, 11:07am

When I etch my beads, I also neutralize them after etching. Did you dip them in baking soda water to neutralize the beads? I etched beads and then rinsed the beads. A few days later I was reading about etching and how the beads keep etching unless you dip them in a base or acid?.. not sure which is which......sorry.....it is an acid/base thing... so I got the beads and put some baking soda in a little water and dropped the beads in it.... I was shocked to see them fizz up.... The beads had been cleaned, etched and washed. But there was still etching left in the porous portion of the beads.

This might be why they are still fading?

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2013-11-07, 1:17pm
one day at a time

The color in glass does not fade. Paint fades, plastic fades, fabric fades, but not glass. I think they are probably just dirty and a good soak in warm soapy water with Dawn will clean them up.