Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Beads of Courage > Beads of Courage

Beads of Courage -- Discussion for all things Beads of Courage; the only not-for-profit, arts-in-medicine program putting to use the talents of glass beadmakers to uplift children dealing with life threatening illnesses, their families and the people who care for them. Families, clinicians and artists alike are welcome to join in! (Thank you to Lampwork Etc. for supporting Beads of Courage and helping to foster communication!) PHOTOS OF INDIVIDUALS OR CHILDREN ONLY ALLOWED WITH THEIR SPECIFIC CONSENT.

Old 2010-03-23, 9:57am
Obsessed Blogger

Default We need Pigs. LOTS of pigs.

Hi everyone.

I'm finally recuperated from this weekend's Bead Inspired fundraiser for Beads of Courage. I'm home with so many ideas, so inspired by getting to spend time with some of our member kids and families and raring to go.

My first mission is Pigs. While spending time with one of our board members who is a nurse practitioner (I apologize if I got your title wrong) I got to learn about a boy that she has been working with. Dylan.

The short story is that his prognosis is not good. Limited time.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Because of allergens, he cannot have pets and he has been lobbying his mother to get him a real pig! One that doesn't have hair and that he could tolerate. Needless to say, that's a mighty big order.

I thought we could inundate him with pig beads though. Normally, we don't want to inundate kids with too many Act of Courage beads because it can tend to water down the program and be less meaningful. (That doesn't mean to withhold them, but to use them as intended in the program).

I think this is a special circumstance though. On top of all of that, Dylan especially LOVEs little notes that come to him with beads. My friend tells me that, while receiving a treatment he will read the notes of encouragement over and over. Isn't that sweet?

From his picture, I would say that he is under 10 years old. I will be receiving a picture of Dylan that I will post here when it arrives.

So, can you whip up some type of pig beads and write a little note with each for Dylan?

You can send finished pigs to:

Beads of Courage, Inc.
5301 S Houghton Road
Tucson AZ 85747

They will forward them to his medical staff who will get GREAT joy in presenting him with pig beads and personal notes of encouragement!

Thank you for the heart that you show for these kids. You really ARE making a difference!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
::
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-03-23, 9:59am

I have a spare lampworking one on my site, if he'd be cool with a pig with sunglasses...
I normally don't send sculptural because of fragile bits - ears - so let me know if you think he's ok?

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2010-03-23, 10:15am
Hobby Junkie

Pigs it is! I'll torch a few this weekend and mail them!

Old 2010-03-23, 10:35am
Smile, it's contagious!

Hmm... not sure if I can make pigs or not. I'll be glad to give it a go though.

Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Old 2010-03-23, 10:38am
Obsessed Blogger

Nikki, maybe you could put a little note saying that your piggie isn't meant for a strand because he is delicate...that maybe he could display it somewhere?

Old 2010-03-23, 10:39am
Obsessed Blogger

Ha ha ha Gelly! I was hoping you'd see this.

I know your big piggie grins will make him smile! Mine does...I keep it near me when I'm torching.

Old 2010-03-23, 10:46am
Hobby Junkie

I think we ALL need Gelly to send us a pig!!!!

Old 2010-03-23, 10:53am

Just happen to have a small pig, noticed it on Sunday when I was trying to clean the bead station. Will bag it up w/ a homemade card and mail it out tomorrow. (Come to think of it, I might as well bag up a bunch that I have been meaning to mail to BOA since before my son died in May, haven't done much since then, but now is the time)

Sharon

Old 2010-03-23, 11:10am

I will try to make some pigs, but out of practice making figure beads. He will get a good laugh out of them anyway.
Old 2010-03-23, 11:26am
I'm meeeeelting

Our ISGB chapter is having a beads of courage bead-making day on Saturday. I'll put the word out.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2010-03-23, 12:06pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

oh wish I had known on sunday,, we had a guild open torch day, But I am up and running right now, will try one tomorrow.

Candice

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2010-03-23, 12:21pm

flying pigs ok? Is it ok if they are a little more delicate, not strandable?
Old 2010-03-23, 12:33pm
FreeAssociatesVeryFreely

i do also make flying pigs, tilet the ears back and goin the wingtips together so they are beadable, wearable...will hit the torches this morn....uuummm, this afternoon....thanks for the link..

Old 2010-03-23, 3:50pm
Obsessed Blogger

You all are giving me goosebumps!

If you're sending pigs with legs or other 'delicate bits' please just put on your note that it isn't intended for his strand but more for display somewhere.

Here's Dylan:

What a cutie!!!!

Old 2010-03-23, 3:59pm
Obsessed Blogger

And yes. Flying pigs are good! I'd say any pig is good. No bacon or chops though, please.
) Pig faces could be cute too.

Old 2010-03-23, 4:02pm

Quote:
Hmm... not sure if I can make pigs or not. I'll be glad to give it a go though.
Gelly, you were the first person that I thought of after reading this!!!!

Leslie
Frit Happens...
Old 2010-03-23, 4:39pm

Packing mine tonight to ship out... He'll be in with the rest of the month's supply, sent a bit early.

~:
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2010-03-23, 4:59pm

I'll try to get torching tomorrow
Old 2010-03-23, 5:35pm

I have just packaged up a box of beads for BOC. Inside is a blown pig vessel for Dylan. It can't go on his string of beads as it has no hole but it will stand on its own.

This motivated me to box up the orphans I've been making and collecting for BOC and get them mailed! It should go in the mail tomorrow.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2010-03-23, 7:03pm
I think I could be a bead

Tomorrow will be pig day!

Old 2010-03-24, 6:22am
Maybeads

I just heard about this thread. I've got one pig in a cape (my version of a flying pig), and I've got time today to make more piggies.

Old 2010-03-24, 9:03am
I think I could be a bead

I've got a piggie in the kiln right now! I'll make more if he comes out good.

Old 2010-03-24, 9:25am
Eight Miles Wide

Quote:
I think we ALL need Gelly to send us a pig!!!!
I have a one-eared pig from Gelly. Keep it on my dresser so I see it every day!

I've never made a pig, so I will give it a try this weekend!

Old 2010-03-24, 2:00pm

Lori,

My blown pig vessel was mailed today. Since it has no hole, it can't be strung but it will stand by itself, being a vessel.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2010-03-25, 6:49am
StudioMarcy

Aw, he is a cutie. Pigs it is!

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2010-03-25, 9:20am
Obsessed Blogger

I told Nancy, his lovely nurse, that this kid is going to be in Pig Heaven!

How wonderful that she (and you) will be able to help brighten his days with the wonderful things that you all are making for him.

Don't forget the notes! He loves the notes!

Bless you all for the work you're doing!

Old 2010-03-25, 1:12pm

The Austin Fireflies are doing pigs this Saturday night during open torch!
Old 2010-03-25, 1:56pm
Leda

Thumbs up Tutorial Available?

I want to participate! Is there a tutorial on piggie-making out there anywhere?

Thx!

Leda
Old 2010-03-25, 2:40pm
Obsessed Blogger

You go Fireflies !!

Maybe even do some Pigs in Space for the Shuttle launch!

Old 2010-03-25, 3:20pm
StudioMarcy

Leda, I made a tutorial (handwrote and drew one) for the Fireflies this morning. Do you have a fax? if not, I'll try to find a way to scan it.

Marcy

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy