Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Closed Thread

Old 2010-06-07, 9:23am
Melting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fine Folly Glassworks View Post
I visited your website - you sure do beautiful work! I have encased the dark transparent rose with Devardi clear a number of times and had no problems, but I haven't encased with dark transparent rose.

Out of curiosity - what was the 3rd color and Maker of it? Have you tried making the bead with all Devardi - including the encasing? And were the cracks starting at the mandrel or around the beads?
Thank you!! I used two different colors as the third on both beads. The first was effetre black and the second was vetro pale avacado. I don't have enough devardi colors to try all devardi in the bead; I only bought 4 colors to try out. I don't have any white and the dk rose is the only transparent I bought. In fact, the dk rose is the only one I've even tried so far.

On bead one there was a crack down the mandrel line, but it didn't crack through (surface crack) and the cracks webbed out at one area. On the other it cracked across about 1/4" from the end of the bead and that entire portion just fell right off once I pulled it off the mandrel. I supposed it was possible they were thermal, except I KNEW I kept them warm enough. I very rarely have a bead crack from getting too cool, but it was a new combination of techniques for me, so anything is possible. To ensure it wasn't thermal I made another one exactly the same way with the same amount of heat, etc., but used a CiM transparent in place of the dark rose and it came out beautifully with no cracking whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blong2001 View Post
Theresa. I had trouble encasing Effetre white with the rose too! I made about 10 beads with it and 1/2 broke. I have just put the others to the side and waiting to see if they eventually break too. If I am only torching for a short time I put my beads in the blanket and do not turn on the kiln. These were mostly the ones that broke. But I do not think they were thermal. Any more details that you can give us?
Not really except that all my beads go straight into the kiln (plus what I wrote above).

Quote:
Originally Posted by evvybuns View Post
Thank you for bringing this up, because I was thinking about posting on the same problem.

This weekend I made a simple twisty using transparent dark rose with four stripes of Effetre intense black stringer. I used the twisty over Effetre pastels light violet, light turquoise, and dark turquoise. When I pulled them out of the kiln, the transparent rose twisty was cracked on all three beads. More cracks developed during the day. Argh! The dark rose on light violet was especially yummy looking.

Yesterday I played around with a rose twisty on Devardi opaques and semi-opaques. So far I see no cracks. I also made a twisty using Devardi black with the rose.

A friend told me that she tried encasing transparent dark rose with Devardi clear, and her beads cracked.

I'll post again if anything develops concerning the beads I made yesterday.
That's really frustrating! Maybe it is a compatibility problem with effetre under the devardi dark transparents. I know I was really disappointed because the whole reason I bought the dk rose was to use over effetre white. I love pink and have been looking for a nice dark transparent pink, and the dk rose was exactly what I was hoping for. I was really thrilled with the color in the beads I made and so disappointed they cracked.

I'm going to be out of town for a week so I can't go out and test.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2010-06-07, 10:46am
Hot Glass Neophyte

I emailed Devardi and they do offer a true opaque white, but are so low on it Natasha said that she has them in the variety sets of white rods. They should be getting more in.

We need to make test beads to see what encases and what doesn't play nice. Wish we had a list somehow! I know the layers of dark transparent rose petals I have been making with the Devardi clear and Lipstick Pink DO play nice together... and I plan to make up that encasing sandwich - that's an interesting idea. Wonder why it would work?

Old 2010-06-07, 2:19pm

I think it works because it makes the outer layer and inner layer expand and contract at the same rate. Plus, there's probably less of the problematic color, too.

I've got way cool handmade bags for sale in the Garage Sale area for a buck each!
Old 2010-06-07, 3:47pm
Bigger, longer, and uncut

Ack! Most of the beads I made yesterday with a Devardi base and transparent dark rose twisty are showing incompatibility cracks.

Old 2010-06-07, 7:56pm

these are beads I made with a base of tan and various devardi transparents including dk trans rose. These are huge focals....40mm by 50 mm

these are a medium size crystal 15 mm made with a press in the same colors

This is the same colors and every bit as large as the above focals but you can see the incompatability cracks towards the center and bottom of the bead. I've lost a few of these large focals and I don't understand why some of them are coming out great...and I'm losing some.

I'll post another bead that I used the opaque pink for as a base, encased partially in dk rose stringer that came out fine. I have to try to clean up the picture if I can, I have a huge shiny mark on it, I think because of the flash.
Great beads everybody, I've been MIA too. I froze my tucus off all winter, and if I'm not on the torch, I'm outside.
Old 2010-06-08, 5:16am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Poor Holly freezing for your art! You'll be a popsicle if you aren't careful - a Hollypop maybe I love that first focal - amazingly pretty combo! Your color combos are so neat. You go girl! We've missed you.

Last night I made some test beads on the Devardi Clear, Devardi Opaque White and effetre white and then the Devardi Dark Transparent Rose. Happily I had no cracking. I didn't layer with other company's colors except the effetre white.

I'm still pretty basic in my bead making, so I mainly wanted to be sure Devardi works well with itself on these colors.

The first bead is effetre white covered with Devardi Clear. I put a dot on it to know the difference. The next bead is Devardi White covered with Devardi Clear, and on the right I made the sandwich we just talked about - with Devardi White encased between Transparent Dark Rose. I worked it hot and got some air bubbles, but it did fine on Devardi White. You can see both ends, I left one open to show the layers.

I also experimented and blew the Dark Transparent Rose on a hole mandrel. First time, and it's a pretty effect. Next I will do one and decorate it and blow. The hollows are pretty anyway - but blown a bit and they get more light-grabbing!

By the way, I emailed and Natasha and she said they had a run on Opaque White and it should be in the next shipment. It's very nice to work with, smooth and soft.

Old 2010-06-08, 5:59am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassGalore View Post
I'm still very 'shard challenged', but when I tried blowing with the Devardi glass it was very difficult because the glass is so stiff. It must be possible though because lots of blown glass is made of boro which is even stiffer... so PPP I guess!

Love seeing all the color experimentation being done here. Great info!

Lisa, I wanted to tell you that after I got the hollow shaped and then glowing I left it above the heat as I blew, since a hollow cools so easy. It made all the difference!

I also found that you can spot heat and blow and the hot spot expands - to make a triangle or squared round puffy (if that makes sense)! I have to play with them some more. Show what you make if you take it up again!

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2010-06-08 at 12:07pm.
Old 2010-06-08, 6:18am

I also tried the Effetre white with the dark rose over it . I had no problems. I also put a couple other Devardi colors over it. No problem with any of them. I put the vetro white on different shelf so I will not grab it!
I also tried the new batch of the Effetre super clear. It is wonderful! I encased several Devardi's last night too. No problems at all! If I get myself together today I will post pics of the experiments.
Have a great day!
Old 2010-06-08, 7:00am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default Dark Transparent Rose

I asked Natasha about the troubles with the Dark Transparent Rose for our more advanced people. She sent this info on the glass and a test bead picture for us. I sure appreciate a company that cares and responds like Devardi.

"This is Devardi Tr. Dark Rose over Devardi Opaque White. Two things users need to watch for.

1. Be careful not to overheat the glass. This is the worst enemy of Devardi Glass.

2. When I'm done, I clean the bead with a blast of high oxygen flame. This not only evens the heat of the bead, but also the oxygen burns off any carbon impurities that may have entered the glass while making it. This cleaning on the Rose is important. Since I started doing these two things many months back, I never lose a rose bead."

Old 2010-06-08, 10:58am

Thanks for the information! I will play tonight and let you know my results tomorrow.
Old 2010-06-08, 5:42pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Well I had some fun with a hollow today! I encased the Light Baby Blue and then went to town decorating it. It's all Devardi glass. I encased the Goldstone Adventurine before I pulled it into a stringer too.

Old 2010-06-09, 6:50am
If the Wooden Shoes Fit??

Good Morning everyone...
Sorry I have been MIA... My DH took a bad fall at work last week and broke his right knee and tore tendons... He had surgery to repair it, and I have been spending most of my time with him at the hospital...

WOW everyone,, Great beads and information.. Thank you..

I did manage to take an hour or two to torch, (sanity time), this is what I managed to make.. The look in this fish's eyes is about how I felt when I heard about DH's injury.. (fear and shock).. Forgot to put lips on this fish..
Colors used:: D165-Opaque High Density Black, D101- Opaque Yellow Orange, and an assortment of stringers for the eyes..
Attached Images

Big Hugs, We all need them...
Old 2010-06-09, 8:19am
Remember to keep smiling

Holly wonderful focal beads. Love the colors. You certainly have a knack with color combinations. I am sorry to hear you are having trouble with the DK Rose incomparability. I have used the DK Rose & moretti pastel white numerous times with success. I do have a problem with the DK Rose and air bubbles especially when I pull stringers & use it with dots……ugh.

Houkje sorry to hear about your husband I hope he is mending well. Your little fish brought a smile to my face. I find torching helps to relieve stress for me also……Love to smash, pull, shove, stretch that glass when I’m frustrated…..lol

Kristina love your hollow great job with the stringer control.

SRA#P109
Old 2010-06-09, 10:19am

Kristina-your hollow is beautiful! Stringer control is outstanding work! I just love that color blue!

Houkje-your fish is cute! Hope you DH heals up quickly!

I played with lots of Devardi colors under and over moretti last night. I did not have any problems at all. I will make a list of colors and post the list.
Old 2010-06-09, 12:12pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Thank you on the hollow! I may do more beads with the pattern and colors. I love the foo-foo designs!

Houkje - I'm so sorry about your DH, when does he get to come home? Poor Sweetie. Your fish is outstanding! I love the color combo!
Old 2010-06-09, 5:00pm

Thanks for the comps Paula and Kristine.

Paula, the big focals were used on a base of devardi tan, I thought I'd really be asking for trouble if I tried anything that size with a moretti base. Glad to hear you can pull it off.... I too have been pulling the dk rose rods down and trying to eliminate some of the fizz, some rods work better than others. OMG girl, love the little octupus....cute !!

I still can't figure out what's going haywire on my large focals I posted. The one with the opaque pink base that I was going to try to get a better picture of broke 3 days after coming out of the kiln......agh. Today I put in 8 hours and made the same color combinations again. I don't know if it's the gold luster frit causing problems or one of the transparents. I ALSO made the same design beads today using different colors of 96 coe glass AND the gold luster frit. I'll know in the morning when everything comes out of the kiln and if I figure anything out, I'll be sure to post!
Old 2010-06-09, 5:34pm

Cute fish! Hope the DH heals quickly!

I remade the beads that broke (the dk transparent purple over white) today on a base of Devardi SO white. They are in the kiln, i wanted to see if they worked better than with the moretti white. I also made a hollow but when I post pictures you can't laugh lol. Its more oval with pointy ends but it is a bead and it is hollow lol. I think I need to put the two discs closer together. Didn't help that I have been queasy and sick to my stomach all day either.

Old 2010-06-10, 5:42am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Holly - I hope you work out your focal misery! No fun to have that happen.

Sonja - I can't wait to see what you made!

Here is what i have been playing with. I posted this on the Newbies & NRFPT page as well. I tried to do a few more of the light blue combos. I think I like round more than flat for their shape... what do you all think? The leaves are the new Frog Green and I really like the color for leaves and how it holds up in the fire. This SEMI-Opaque Light Baby Blue holds up beautifully too, just like the Lipstick. I am so hard on the glass in the flame...

And I have been interested in the goldstone sparkle glass in cobalt as well as gold. It can be encased and pulled into stringers and then used to make a border or a design. The center SOPink one gave me an idea to make a bead with that blue raked into a pattern around a center scene... if I could only pull that off! The cobalt goldstone is so dramatic. I love it. Thats the Misty on the left, and Transparent Forest Green with the raked (encased stringer) goldstone on the right. It works beautifully in the flame too.

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2010-06-12 at 7:03am.
Old 2010-06-10, 8:01am
If the Wooden Shoes Fit??

Good Morning to all...

Paula, Bethany, Kristina, Holly, & Sonja:: Thank you for the well wishes and kind thoughts for Mont (DH)... He will be 12 weeks in a leg brace with no bending and the 6 to 12 months in Physio... He is thinking about playing with my glass, since he won't be able to stand at the coal forge and heat metal (he is a blacksmith).. I think that will be great...
Thank you for the complements on my shocked fish..

Sonja:: Love the olive green organic beads, those are to die for... so rich looking.. Need pics of the new beads...

Paula:: Always love all your critters, but that cheshire bunny is just to cute...

Holly:: Fabulous focal beads.. My fav. is the first pic... Your color sense is so keen... Always spot on... Sorry to hear about broken bead after 3 days...

Kristina:: OMG.. Such talent.. Stringer control is to be envied.. Great eye for color... Your beads are always such great inspiration for us all..

I know that I have missed some others, I am sorry... All the information and eye candy that is posted here has been a inspiration for me, and I thank you all...

Big Hugs, We all need them...
Old 2010-06-10, 1:48pm
Remember to keep smiling

Keristina they are yummy love the goldstone beads.

SRA#P109
Old 2010-06-11, 6:20am
Hot Glass Neophyte

I worked on smaller beads last night in this pattern, and I wanted to share the color combination because some people have asked about it. If any of you want to make it up be sure to share what you do! If I can help I sure will.

The base color is SEMI-opaque Light Baby Blue. It is very stiff but holds up nicely in the flame and doesn't devit. The leaves are done in Frog Green, and the petals and tint are the Lipstick and Dark Transparent Rose. I encased their Adventurine Goldstone Rod with clear stringers and then pulled Goldstone stringers to use.

I used a dental pic to drag the ends of the goldstone stringer and leaves to a point in the flame. It makes a more flowing design I think. If I can help anyone just let me know!

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2010-06-12 at 7:02am.
Old 2010-06-11, 6:29am

Kristina-your work (as always) is outstanding! Thank you for sharing it! Since my torching is now limited I really enjoy looking at others beautiful work and yours are always beautiful!
Old 2010-06-11, 6:32am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Oh Bethany, that made my morning. Thank you!
Old 2010-06-11, 7:03pm
Remember to keep smiling

Here is a couple of little frogs. Emerald green and a mystery color for the face and belly. I really like how smooth it was to work with. The rod reminded me of a SOP because it had a transparent color of sorts and if you looked at the end of the rod it looks to have a ring of color in the middle. Does it look familiar to anyone?

Name:  061110frog1.JPG
Views: 1186
Size:  48.8 KB

SRA#P109
Old 2010-06-12, 5:59am
Hot Glass Neophyte

They are DARLING frogs Paula - you just keep getting more detailed and wonderful! I love them!

And I need to make a correction - the blue glass base is SEMI-Opaque Lt. Baby Blue. not the Opaque... sorry!

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2010-06-12 at 7:06am.
Old 2010-06-12, 7:00am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Hey Everyone, someone in the Newbie section asked about doing the raked blue bead, so I posted this in that section. And since it's our beloved Devardi glass I wanted to put it here too.

I am practicing making steps for tutorials, so please forgive me if it's muddled! I hope this is of use to someone

This bead is made by using the Cobalt Stringer to make a continuing wide S looping back and forth all the way around the bead. When the ends meet touch them together to stick and then melt the looping in pretty much.

Then while it's still in the flame I use a Dental Pick to delicately rake the center toward me. I barely stick the pick-tip in a glowing loop and begin to turn the bead away from me, so that the pick stays at the top of the bead but the glass rotating up and away from me is glowing from the flame and then being raked into a thin circle in the middle as I turn the mandrel.

Just as I reach the starting point I lift the pic to release the teeny amount I am raking as I turn. Then I melt the bead round again. The gentler and lighter you rake the less you mis-shape the bead. You only want to catch the very surface to rake with. The pic stays in the bead until you lift off to release it at the end.

When it's back in basic round I put little dots of the Cobalt Stringer every loop or so and then melt them in a bit so they aren't sharp.

Hope that helps! If it's clear as mud to anyone just let me know and I'll try to clarify!

Some asked about the pink, so I'll tell here - it was done by raking the ends of Cobalt Stringer dots out to a point. I ran a very thin Cobalt Stringer around the center of the bead and then put dots on both sides of it but staggering them.

Then I melted them in and took the dental pic and raked their points and remelted a bit. You rake down toward the center line to make a more natural leaf shape by the way - not sideways... at least thats what I like.

Hope this helps someone out there!
Old 2010-06-12, 8:05am

Paula-your frogs are so cute!
Kristina-beautiful! Your tuts will be great!
Old 2010-06-12, 8:18am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Thank you sweet Bethany! I think I like making tuts as much as beads! Must be the old editor in me!

Here's a pic of some necklaces I just worked up with recent beads. I need to get them shot on cords or chains and post them in my etsy at some point.

Are any of you stringing yours and making jewelry?

Old 2010-06-12, 8:37am
Forever P~P~P :0)

OMG Kristina... you are doing so good. Pretty soon we'all may have to bump ya up to the big girl gallery! Awesome work everyone!!

Sandy
No hurry ~ no worries ~ unless its hot & drippy..!

Hot Head & big BBQ tank of propane!

awesome banner by Knatty Dreadz!! WE MISS YOU!
Old 2010-06-12, 8:39am
Remember to keep smiling

Bethany & Kristina - Thank you for the compliments. You guys are awesome.

Kristina - they look great. I am so impatient when it comes to having to make jewelery, I don't know why maybe it has to do with my aging eyes but I rather be torching...lol
I have been priniting out all you little tuts maybe one day I will actually get to meet you in person and you will sign my Kristina book....You are so awesome to share all your little tips with us.

SRA#P109
Closed Thread

Tags
devardi