No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-08-07, 9:52am
Pincel de Fuego

Default Hollow beads, can it be done?

I've finally gotten to a point where I'm starting to get happy about hollow beads. And I had this idea about putting tiny seashells in them. Do you think it can be done?
If I insert them before closing up the hollow bead? I'm thinking of just experimenting but I wanted to share my crazy idea with you first.
Like, I know that even if they stick to the glass they'll cool down at a different rate and separate... But I wonder what will happen once they enter the heat? If the glass is too molten they'll melt into it and then crack it? Hehehe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
Old 2015-08-07, 10:37am
I fart diamonds

You can always try your idea to see if it works but I don't think it will. (Too hot.)

1. You can make it on a larger mandrel, then cap the ends
2. You can make a vessel and cork it.
3. Boro tubing.

Old 2015-08-07, 10:38am
professional gimme fiver

I second what Shawnette said, and I would use a larger mandrel and then put a bead reducing cap on it (if you want to be able to string it or something like that).

Although, that being said, I would definitely try to put it in before closing up the hollow bead, because ..... because..... I'd have to try it! Just to see!

Old 2015-08-07, 12:11pm
Pincel de Fuego

I want to try it but I'm afraid of wasting the glass 😂

/
/
Old 2015-08-07, 12:31pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabiLoraine View Post
I want to try it but I'm afraid of wasting the glass 😂
Experiments aren't wasteful. If you never try anything new, how will you discover things that no one else thinks is possible?

Old 2015-08-07, 1:03pm
lurking on LE since 2005

just want to chime in that it's really hard to make small hollows on big hole mandrels. my guess is that there's too much hot mandrel and not enough room for the glass to expand..? don't get discouraged but know going in that it's going to be a pain.

J-55

Check out my Encasing and HOLLOW tri-color Tutorials in my Etsy shop-and my NEW encased, layered, feathered bead!

Old 2015-08-07, 1:45pm
Pincel de Fuego

This is why I love you? I'll do it with recycled glass. Lol

/
/
Old 2015-08-07, 2:06pm
Pincel de Fuego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmaine View Post
just want to chime in that it's really hard to make small hollows on big hole mandrels. my guess is that there's too much hot mandrel and not enough room for the glass to expand..? don't get discouraged but know going in that it's going to be a pain.

This is totally true. I'm really not that good at hollows. Not sure why I'm even looking to challenge myself at this point, lol!

/
/
Old 2015-08-07, 2:57pm
Phill

If you use a single color of glass and it does not work you can always recover any undamaged glass and remelt the resulting frit.

I do like the idea of larger big hole beads and coring and capping the bead.
Heck, you could even add a small amount of beach sand before you core and cap it.
Old 2015-08-07, 7:01pm
Borovangelist

If the shells don't burn in the flame, they'll burn in your kiln. They'll definitely crack the glass if they're embedded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
Experiments aren't wasteful. If you never try anything new, how will you discover things that no one else thinks is possible?
Exactly. Folks told me I couldn't use copper mesh inside boro. Guess what I did?

|
|
Old 2015-08-08, 3:59am
A True Woofer

I made a bunch of trade beads for the gathering last year that were hollow beads filled with various things and I used bead caps and a copper core. I used a 3/16" mandrel so the hole was big enough to stuff things into and the core and the bead caps kept it all inside. If the shells are tiny enough I don't see why this method wouldn't work.

Old 2015-08-12, 11:15am
HotFlash Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaGirlBT View Post
I made a bunch of trade beads for the gathering last year that were hollow beads filled with various things and I used bead caps and a copper core. I used a 3/16" mandrel so the hole was big enough to stuff things into and the core and the bead caps kept it all inside. If the shells are tiny enough I don't see why this method wouldn't work.

I've done this before as well. I was happy with mine, but yours are gorgeous!!!

Be Curious. Not judgmental.
Old 2015-08-13, 3:48am
A True Woofer

Thanks, Sheri!

Old 2015-08-13, 5:21pm
Storm Queen

Yep, what Ellen did. I did the same but filled them with glitter. A total pita btw. I just wanted to master it and prove I could do it.