AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Old 2005-09-29, 9:21pm

Unhappy Bethleham Piranha? Nope, a Bead Burner

Well, my torch arrived, two days ago. I finally got the oxygen tank secured to my house and the regulators, hoses, etc. all in place. Torched for a couple of hours tonight. Can't say yet if I love it or just like it. It's different.

Funny thing, I didn't receive ANY instructions - not a paper of any kind with it. I looked The Piranha up on Internet to find out that I should have received a wire for cleaning it every three days. Fine, I intend to call the place I bought it. I certainly want to keep it clean, and would like to have instructions.

Well, I was just looking a picture of one on Internet and they didn't send me a Piranha, they sent a Bead Burner. Now can someone tell me the difference . . . I've got to decide whether to keep it or not. I can't find any information on the Bead Burner tonight. . will keep looking. Just thought someone might know? I want the one I ordered . . but if there's not much difference?? . . . . it'd be a pain to have to disconnect (how will I EVER get those hoses off?) and pack and send it back.
Old 2005-09-29, 9:26pm
CA Queen Bitch

I'd want what I ordered too!!!! I am not sure about the bead burner, but i have a Baracuda, which is the prianah with an extra otter ring, and I just love it!!!
Hope it get it resolved soon! let us know?
~Suzy~

Being unstable and bitchy is all part of my mystique.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Peek A Boo!
Old 2005-09-29, 9:27pm
CA Queen Bitch

P.S. I haven't had to clean my cuda yet, there is no build up in it and it runs really clean. I've had it for months.

~Suzy~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Peek A Boo!
Old 2005-09-29, 9:29pm
<--- Time traveler

I heard a rumor - and it's just a third- or fourth-hand rumor at that - that the Piranhas are being redesigned a bit. Maybe yours is a new design? Just a thought.

Courtney
Old 2005-09-29, 9:40pm
Administrator

I believe the Piranha and the bead burner are one in the same. On Frantz's site it is listed as the Piranha Bead Burner

Old 2005-09-29, 9:50pm

The torch that I received is NOT the same as the one pictured on the site where I ordered it. They called it a Piranha. The torch I received IS pictured on another site and is identified as a Bead Burner. Betcha the Bead Burner is just last year's model of the Piranha. It's probably a perfectly good torch . . I read it was. . . but I just want the one I ordered. pout.

Hey, I will say "THANK YOU" for the quick replies! I love this place!
Old 2005-09-29, 10:44pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

If I am correct, the bead burner is the older model of the Pirhana, contact the suppliers and just tell them you want the pirhana and not the beadburner.

Old 2005-09-29, 11:16pm

Well, I'm going to try to return it. . too bad I didn't realize the mistake right away. Now I've used it and they may well be within their rights to refuse to take it back. . I'm such a dummy sometimes. I don't know if I have the energy to throw a hissy over it. Maybe I'll be rested and fiesty in the morning.
Old 2005-09-30, 12:24am
Fire Borne

I would think they would want to replace it for you rather than risk any bad publicity. But if for some reason they refuse to, don't be too upset. I bought someone's old Beth bead burner as a back up to my Piranha. The Piranha was off to the manufacturer having a knob fixed when they were initially having that problem and thought a back up torch was a good idea. The repaired Piranha is still in it's box and I've been using the Beth since. It's virtually the same torch, at least that's my understanding. If I'm wrong, someone please tell me.

pat
Old 2005-09-30, 12:34am
<--- Time traveler

The Bead Burner and the Piranha are essentially the same torch; the part that looks like a heat sink is different. One site I was on earlier (Winship) actually had the Bead Burner priced substantially higher than the Piranha. Maybe the Piranha is supposed to be a litle hotter?

Courtney
Old 2005-09-30, 3:51am

The Bethlehem Bead Burner is the precursor of the Piranha. They are essentially the same torch except for the cooling fins. The Bead Burner was priced higher due to the manufacturing process.

The main thing that I am concerned about (as a bethlehem distributor) is the misrepresentation of the company you purchased from. It may be an honest mistake if the burner came pre-boxed. If you are unhappy with the mix-up, they should have no problems exchanging your torch for the correct one.

I think that what a lot of people are talking about a redesign of the Piranha is actually a new torch that Bethlehem is working on. To my knowledge, the Piranha will not be changed.
Old 2005-09-30, 6:50am
CA Queen Bitch

Here is a link for you to see just what you got?
~Suzy~
http://www.bethlehemburners.com/piran.htm

Peek A Boo!
Old 2005-09-30, 8:26am

Is this a holiday? Have tried repeatedly to call Arrow Springs. No answer. Sheesh!

I was reading about the Piranha from the above link and the part where it says "To test your burner for proper performance, just simply turn off the oxygen flow, then re-open the oxygen very quickly. If there is a loud bang, then pre-mixing is occurring and the burner should be returned." I was trying to adjust the flame, I probably turned the oxy off, and then on.

WELL! it happened. . and I'll just tell ya, it scared the bejesus out of me. My husband didn't hear it and just sort of brushed it off. I relit it and it seemed to be okay. Soooo, if those people ever answer their phone, I'm afraid I should return the burner. I do have flashback arresters on the hose so was not too worried about it exploding. dang!

Thanks for all your input.

edited to say: oops, I see they are not open yet. They are in California, I'm in Texas.

Last edited by splynda; 2005-09-30 at 8:37am.
Old 2005-09-30, 8:39am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by splynda
Is this a holiday? Have tried repeatedly to call Arrow Springs. No answer. Sheesh!

I was reading about the Piranha from the above link and the part where it says "To test your burner for proper performance, just simply turn off the oxygen flow, then re-open the oxygen very quickly. If there is a loud bang, then pre-mixing is occurring and the burner should be returned."
aah.... That will happen with almost any torch (more prone with premix).... its a bit of misconception that there may be a problem with torch, its a characteristic of any torch...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2005-09-30 at 8:47am.
Old 2005-09-30, 8:45am
<--- Time traveler

Yes, I have done that with my Lynx before when the oxy pressure was higher than I expected.

Courtney
Old 2005-09-30, 9:08am

Well, if it happens occasionally, I guess I can live with it. Seems like one question leads to another.

I bought my hoses from the place my tanks came from. When the torch came, the fittings on the hoses didn't fit the torch. I noticed in a catalog (Delphi) that when you order their hoses (1/4"), they have no fittings and the hoses are attached to the torch with clamps. But, I was worried about not having flashback arresters, so went clear across town, took my hoses and torch and the man at the Welding shop put flashback arresters on each hose, then I guess he cut 2 pieces of other hoses. He connected the pieces to the flashback arresters with the connectors on the cut pieces. Then he advised to attach the cut ends of the short hoses (they are about 3") to the torch with clamps. I did this. Is this safe?
Old 2005-09-30, 9:23am

Here's a link - to see the torch and set up of the flashback arresters.
http://www.splynda/torch.jpg

Welp, there is it below. Think Yew.

Last edited by splynda; 2005-09-30 at 9:29am. Reason: trying to get picture in there
Old 2005-09-30, 9:26am
<--- Time traveler

http://www.splynda.com/torch.jpg
Old 2005-09-30, 9:51am
Gentleman of Leisure

That is the "general procedure", looks ok to me.... Some people do not like the "worm" type clamp you have used. They favor the style that has a screw and nut that pulls on two ears that tighten the band around hose. I don't see much performance difference in clamp styles.

The only thing that bothers me in your picture is way you have hose clamped at lower portion of table.. With the possibility of motion in the hose at that point the edge of clamp will act as a knife blade and eventually cut into hose... I would not use metallic clamp there, a plastic wire tie or a piece of cord or some sort of tape (plastic electrical) may be better. This type of metal clamp were not actually designed to be used that way.

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2005-09-30 at 10:04am.
Old 2005-09-30, 9:56am
Safety ALWAYS

For "commercial" use, the worm gear type of clamp is banned and must not be used. The hose must be clamped in place with a fixed, unremovable clamp. This is usually a two ear style clamp. Any clamp that can be loosened by screw or nut is not allowed.

I tend to follow the commercial/industrial codes on this. In the long run, it's safer, the hose doesn't get cut or chewed up.

Putting "stub" hoses on the torch which then connect to the hose/QD's/Flashback arrestors is the best way to handle torches that have barb fittings.

More and more torch companies are making available torches that have "B" fittings on the torch itself. IMO this is the best way to order your torch. Then you don't have to mess with hose clamps at all.

Edit to add: Just looked at the picture. Yes, you have a "Bead Burner". If you wanted a Piranha, you should get in touch with your supplier and ask for what you ordered.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2005-09-30, 10:38am

Default A Happy Ending

Well, People, I've talked to Craig at Arrow Springs - for 30 minutes! What a great guy. No problem with replacing the Bead Burner, others in their warehouse were also labeled wrong. Anyway, I sure appreciate all the information.

I knew that the hoses were not secured very well. . . but wanted to get torching asap. I will take care of that little problem. I need a new table!

Thanks again for the help and if any of you need to troubleshoot your crochet, I'm your girl!
Old 2005-09-30, 11:47am
<--- Time traveler

Here's something I did to take care of the hoses running under the table: I bought a u-shaped door handle (barn door style) and screwed it to the underside of the table, several feet away from where I sit. The hoses run through there before coming up to the torch. The hoses aren't tight in there, but just the friction between the rubber and metal is enough to keep the hoses out of my way and away from sparks, etc.

Courtney

Last edited by cghipp; 2005-09-30 at 2:04pm.
Old 2005-09-30, 1:52pm

That's a good tip, Courtney. Thank you. That would help a lot.

I read Corina's opinion on the Piranha and just my working with the Bead Burner, which is the same shape, same base . . it is sort of hard to keep the bead at the proper place in the flame, it's too far away. I think I need a new custom-made torching work bench. No use to get that though, until I get a studio. My garage is not suitable, and my backyard is too small for a shed .... so, I guess I need a new house, first. To get a new house, I'd probably have to get a new husband. All, because, I just want to make a few beads. I'm torching on my covered patio at this time, and, yes, it's been hot this summer, and will be cold this winter , has been and will be windy . . . but, there ARE a lot of good weather days at this time of year! Woo Hoo!