Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-02-19, 11:54am

Default "Oops" or "Noooo" beads

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, or is in a thread all ready that I did not see. If so tell me. I am new to LE and spend a lot of time here so help me out here. We all have the "Oops" or "Noooo" (or for some "!@#") beads. So my question is how do I use them?? Some I make for the xmas tree, or use for frit. But how do you use them?

Thank
Old 2011-02-19, 11:59am
Nikki Haverstock

I have heard people mention frit before and I had concern with that. It already has bead release and I am not sure if it is possible to really remove it all.

I was thinking of using ugly beads to put on a board to demo each color and color combination.

I also carry around ugly beads just to have something to play with.
Old 2011-02-19, 12:06pm
addicted to dichro

They become part of the gravel in my fish tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-02-19, 12:31pm
honorary bead lady

String them on copper wire and hang them from the trees/ house
Old 2011-02-19, 2:22pm
He can do the origami

I have mounds and mountains and jars and cans filled with garbage beads and pendants that will never see the light of day. Most of what I produce now that i KNOW is garbage never makes it to the kiln. But I have a ton of old beads and other glass items that are an absolute abomination and that is all they will ever be.
Old 2011-02-19, 2:55pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyjw View Post
They become part of the gravel in my fish tank.
If I did this, I wouldn't have room for any fish!
Old 2011-02-19, 3:00pm
offically down under

Beads that are technically decent beads but too ugly to sell, I donate to our local Beads of Courage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-02-19, 3:01pm
sunscreen me baby

If they are structurally sound enough you should send them to Beads Of Courage. I send them all my not quite right beads.

Here's the link for how: http://www.beadsofcourage.org/pages/glassbeads.htm

~

Old 2011-02-19, 3:01pm
Cat herder

I read somewhere (may have been here, may have been elsewhere) about keeping a bowl of the "factory seconds" on hand at shows and craft fairs. When a parent comes looking at your stuff, and their kid looks like they don't want to be there, you pull out the bowl and tell the kid they can pick one out for free. Keeps the kid entertained so the parent can spend more time looking at and buying your stuff.

No fancy signature yet.
Old 2011-02-19, 4:18pm

I do that too, the kids love it.

But honestly even the beads I think are not all that special,so long as they are sound I put them out for sale in a bowl for a bit cheaper.

There's always someone who will pick that bead over all the other pretty ones...go figure.

Custard...it's just like hot icecream!
Old 2011-02-19, 4:26pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

I agree, I had the most terrible luck with trying to strike Terranova 2.1 and I made the ugliest silver glass bead in the history!!! It was butt ugly, not even a mother of the bead could have loved it. And my friend chose that one over all the cool pretty ones, (and I had bunch of really pretty ones made just for her to pick up, cause ofcourse I wanted her to use one of the pretty ones) Well, she fell in love with the bead that looked like I had wound up half frozen cat puke on a mandrel. I sincerely apologize the description, but thats the closest I can come up with! So go ahead and sell them, unless you think it is more about the certain image than getting more glass. I just want glass right now

ETA: I would not sell something Id think would end up breaking or otherwise has questionable elements, but it really is true that the beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I wont list on my website anything I think is just too ugly to sell, but if someone likes them and wants to buy from my beadbox... Im just glad it found a forever home somewhere else than in my beadbox!

Last edited by Pia Kaven; 2011-02-19 at 4:51pm.
Old 2011-02-19, 4:41pm

"One mans trash is another mans treasure" don't exactly know where that quote came from but it is absolutely true when it comes to glass. Many, many times I have made a piece and been disapointed with the way it turned out. I put them out for sale when I do shows and they are usually the ones that sell first. That being said I do still have a large bowl of pieces that rank as trash but I still keep for no other reason then because I made them.
Old 2011-02-19, 4:48pm
Nikki Haverstock

My husband always likes my Oops beads. He thinks they are interesting. Of course he has no use for beads of any kind so it does me no good.
Old 2011-02-19, 4:51pm
Cheesehead Packer lover

I sprinkle them in my neighbors yard for her little boy. He thinks they are "treasures"

Cherie
Sisters Beads
If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague
Old 2011-02-19, 4:55pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadgal View Post
I sprinkle them in my neighbors yard for her little boy. He thinks they are "treasures"
This is awesome! I wish our neighbors youngest was a tad older, she is less than 2 and would probably swallow all my beads...
Old 2011-02-19, 6:37pm
glass is sooo...me!

Look for a gumball machine at the next garage sale and put your ugly beads in it. I have had the same gumball machine in my den for 13 years and it is soo pretty once it starts filling up.
Karen
Old 2011-02-19, 6:42pm
Lampworkaholic!

My oops beads are ceremoniously returned to nature in the lake at the end of our street. The cracked ones, the ones with bad ends and the really hideous ones. If they are just wonky or I'm not crazy about the color combination, they go in the Beads of Courage bowl.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-02-19, 7:21pm

Exactly! As long as the holes don't have sharp edges and are well annealed then I've sent mine off to Beads of Courage as well.

Duane

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammydownunder View Post
Beads that are technically decent beads but too ugly to sell, I donate to our local Beads of Courage.

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2011-02-19, 8:49pm

We have a gravel path through our yard which is now a bead path. Grandkids love it. I finally had to limit them to two beads a visit to take home. Now they both have a bowl of them in their bedrooms. Friends love to see them on the path too.
Old 2011-02-20, 5:05am

Tammy is there beads of courage in Australia? Why did I not know about this? Do you have the details?

Old 2011-02-20, 8:46am
Crispy Critter

I gave a bunch of my fuglies to an art teacher for a school project. She and the kids were making mosaic tiles and stuck my beads in, along with the shards.

Old 2011-02-20, 8:47am
Crispy Critter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfield View Post
Look for a gumball machine at the next garage sale and put your ugly beads in it. I have had the same gumball machine in my den for 13 years and it is soo pretty once it starts filling up.
Karen
That is a brilliant idea!

Old 2011-02-20, 9:11am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Sometimes I string mine with strong fishline and wire and make whimsical sculptures for the trees in my yard. I may not like the beads close up but from a distance sparkling in the sun they make me happy.

Old 2011-02-20, 12:46pm
Life is change. Love it

I sell them at shows for $20.00 a teeny bag. The bowl is usually pretty much empty after a three day show.

Old 2011-02-20, 2:09pm
offically down under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabitha View Post
Tammy is there beads of courage in Australia? Why did I not know about this? Do you have the details?
The Bravery program is at Westmead Childrens Hospital. I'm not sure if any other state has a similar program.

http://www.cureourkids.com.au/

Cure Our Kids
Atten: Meg Eastley
PO Box 7278, Warringah Mall, Brookvale NSW 2100

Old 2011-02-20, 11:32pm

Some of my early ones are embedded in a Mosaic wall in a friends back yard ... My mother in England sold small baggies of them (color sorted) and paid for a lunch out for old age pensioners (who are on limited income).

Some of them (better but off center and tests) go to Beads of Courage, and then there are some I sell as seconds ... I call them "Beadus Imperfectus" and have them in a basket at shows at a fraction of the original price.

Cracked or bad ends ... in the trash.

Old 2011-09-13, 6:39pm

Yes but what do you do with the ugly eyeballs? Halloween is coming and I pan to serve them up to trick or treaters in a backlit glass bowl of alien green jello.
Old 2011-09-13, 6:44pm
Glass Addict

As long as the beads are sound (no chips or cracks) and I don't want to sell them through my shop... I donate them to the Beads of Courage program.

http://www.beadsofcourage.org/

Cancer patient kids get a handmade bead for every procedure they go through while battling cancer. A VERY worthwhile cause

Old 2011-09-13, 6:58pm

I'm still learning so a lot of my beads are not right. I donated them to our relay for life team that my store, Macys, sponsored.
They sold them for a dollar each and I was amazed at how many women swarmed in and bought them.

Lanford BeadWorks
Old 2011-09-13, 7:46pm

If your cracks in your beads are end to end you can finish splitting them and melt thim down for cabs. I've made a couple pendants with them and they turn out pretty cool.

"Whether you believe that you can or believe that you can't, you're probably right." Henry Ford

Last edited by PiP; 2011-09-13 at 7:47pm. Reason: fat fingers....