Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-12-31, 9:07am

Default Resource for COE 104 color reactions

I did a few searches through old threads and didn't turn up anything significant...

I'm relatively new to flameworking and find that I sometimes get color reactions when I didn't intend them...so I'm wondering if there are any good websites or tutorials/books out there that would explain which things react with each other.

Obviously colors are changing all the time and new ones are being added, but I'm guessing there are some general principles that might help me

If it matters, I'm working on a HH and using primarily Vetrofond and Effetre glass, with frit from Glass Diversions.

Any info or advice would be appreciated

Thank you!
Dawn
Old 2009-12-31, 9:22am
Lampworkaholic!

Corina wrote the book, with a little help from her friends:

http://www.frantzartglass.com/index....oducts_id=2026

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-12-31, 9:23am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

And here is an awesome little webpage that will help you A LOT!! and best of all, it's free.

http://users.zoominternet.net/~beadg...ce_effects.jpg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-12-31, 9:24am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

if you need to make that page bigger to read it better, hold down the control key and hit your plus sign/equal sign key

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-12-31, 9:26am
Will work for glass...

I don't know of any specific resources...most of my knowledge comes from experimenting! I do know that a HH sometimes results in more intense reactions due to the high fuel environment of the flame. You can pick up information here and there, but a few of the most notable are: Ivory tends to react with many colors, and by "react," I mean it will often show a dark line along the edge when you decorate a base bead of ivory with another opaque color, such as turquiouse, yellow, transparent aqua, really almost anything. Rubino is also reactive, and this can sometimes be wasteful because it is quite fussy and can cause your whole creation to turn an ugly brown or grey, especially if you use it with ivory or any silver laden glass (many of the frits you are using have a high metal content because they are made from furnace glass). If you are interested in knowing more about frit, I strongly recommend the book written by Val Cox, who has a great book encompassing just about everything you would ever want to know about frit. Rubino is one of my favorite glasses, and if you want to know about some of the more beautiful ways it can be combined with other glass colors, try using the tutorial "think pink" by Sarah Hornik, that is a WONDERFUL guide to color, especially with Effetre. I also really like the color information on Kandace Seeber's website, she has a few good tut's on there. It would probably be a good resource if someone decided to make a list of color reactions using 104 COE...I saw one for the boro glasses but I haven't really seen one for 104.
Old 2009-12-31, 9:46am

Thanks for the quick feedback! The Corina book sounds like what I want, and in the right price range. The frit book looks awesome but probably more than I need for now Gotta prioritize the spending you know!
Old 2009-12-31, 1:31pm

I also found this e-book listed:

Reactions in Glass E-Book for Beginning Glass Lampwork Artists by sFd

for $5 that's not so bad.
Old 2009-12-31, 1:42pm
I like to melt things

I'm blogging about colour reactions on my blog, and Dwyn Tomlinson also has a lot of good information on her blog.

Mine is here: http://melanie-graham.blogspot.com/
Dwyn's is here: http://dragonjools.blogspot.com/

There is also lots of good information here: http://www.listen-up.org/kitty/beads/frit.htm

-
-
Old 2009-12-31, 1:59pm
one day at a time

I'm going to rate this thread, because this would be a good place to put all the resources together.

Thanks for starting this thread, and to all that contribute to it!
Old 2010-01-01, 6:58am
Jamaican Me Crazy

Im new too, and what I have found out is what reaction some people get, doesnt mean you will get it too. Im on a HH as well and I keep a log. What color, what reaction as well as shop temp and humidity. If your like me you prob have some sampler packs that came unlabeled, I just label my own with numbers just to keep up with them. Just exsperiment and keep records.

Pete aka worlds worst spelker
Old 2010-01-01, 8:26am

Thank you for the tip Squid!
Old 2010-01-01, 9:10pm
Will work for glass...

I agree with WoodyWood...Just putting two colors of glass together will not always yield the same results. Also affecting the outcome are how hot the temperature of the flame, the temperature of the base glass when the "adornments" or whatever other glass is applied, how long the glass is worked while making the bead, whether or not the bead is "garaged" or "batch" annealed, many others. The best way to do it I suppose would be to keep a journal and document the different factors (not just glass colors but also these other factors) and log the outcomes you like.
Old 2010-01-31, 6:29pm
Formerly Kellyhorton

Default great info

thanks so much for sharing all of this!!!

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK

In the '60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Old 2014-05-10, 12:11pm
Practicing perfect

Bump!

Old 2014-05-13, 12:15am
Phill

Thanks for the bump. I think I would have missed this if you had not bumped it.