LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2007-10-22, 8:05pm
Master Procrastinator

Default Spooled beads with discs???

Does anyone know what I'm talking about. I don't have a link or a photo cause I sure don't know how it's done myself....You know those beads that look like empty spools of thread? I've seen where they have disc beads suspended from the spooled bead. Does anyone know how this is done? I have my thoughts, but would love to hear from someone who knows this technique.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-10-22, 8:22pm
burnin' glass just becuz

It's in the Cindy Jenkins Beads of Glass book. from what i can remember: essentially, build the BHBs/rings in advance, clean and reheat them in the kiln.

then build a barrel with a lip on one end. the barrel has to be small enuf for the rings to slide easily and the lip has to be large enuf to keep them from falling off. take the rings out of the kiln and heat them (carefully!) in the upper end of the flame. keep the barrel warm but not sticky.

when the rings are sufficiently heated quickly slip them onto the barrel and build the lip on the other side to hold them in place. trick is to now finish the barrel without melting/distorting the rings or overheating and having the whole thing stick together ...or having everything explode.

sounds easy, huh? ;-D

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2007-10-23, 8:53am

Take a look at the beautiful beads of www.jillsymons.com she does that style. It is mysterious. Jeri
Old 2007-10-23, 1:17pm
Master Procrastinator

YES! That's exactly what I mean! Funny thing is that I have that book too! I guess it's time to take the ol' books out & study them again ! Thanks for the link to that awesome site Jeri. Hers weren't the beads I meant specifically, but great eye candy nonetheless.

Old 2007-10-23, 1:32pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

I was always entranced by Jill's spool beads, and enjoyed making them myself for a while. My short attention span doesn't allow for much work that is so painstaking

Also Available in
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

Old 2007-10-23, 2:09pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Those are really neat, wow. Talk about 'cher heat control.....

Old 2007-10-24, 9:27pm

http://www.kimmiles.com