No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-06-21, 5:10am
High Maintenance

Default What do I do with this?

I just bought a lampworking kit this weekend and recieved a bag of these in it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=7317786419

How does one use these? They are so short I can't imagine being able to use them without scorching my fingers.

Thank you,
Heather
Old 2005-06-21, 5:24am
The Grand Foobah

Hi Heather, you probably know that these are Millefiori, you can use it as a design element in your beads. You want to preheat them and then using tweezers or the molten end of a rod attach them to your bead. This is the only example I have of beads with Millefiori, it was some from Beth Olson and looked like a turtle.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Foofaraw is a style. An attitude. A fresh glimmer of fun. Foofaraw is unique.
Old 2005-06-21, 4:25pm
Irish Eyes A Smiling

Try doing a google search on millifiori or perhaps someone here can make a tutorial....I've just played with them and have nothing that has turned out. I know enough to be dangerous with them....make a base bead....spot heat where the milifiori is to go - pick up milifiori with hot bead or tweezer and gently push into spot heated portion of base bead but don't alter the shape (that's the tricky part) then encase. The milifiori will not be flush with the base bead is my understanding but the encasement will make it all smooth and wonderful...in theory! Good luck!

Old 2005-06-22, 6:31am
Back from the Dark Side

Using millifiori is tricky! You want to warm the millifiori before you stick it into the bead, otherwise it will crack. Make your base bead. Grab a piece of millifiori with tweezers and begin to heat it slowly...flashing it in the flame until it begins to glow at the edges. Heat the spot on your bead, while keeping the millifiori warm, then gently push it into the hot spot. Slowly heat the millifiori that is now stuck in the bead. It helps to have a marver or flat bladed shaping tool to gently press to the surface of the cane. It kind of shocks it and helps it from distoring as long as you don't press too hard. When it is getting close to being melted in, put a good sized dot of clear on top to magnifiy it, melt it in a little more, and finish your bead.

It also helps to have the millifiori sliced really thin...1/16 to 1/8 inch thick. Alot of the ones that I have received are 1/4 in thick and a bear to cut in half.

~
~
~
Steal List - 48, 50, 60, 32, and 29 for now
Old 2005-06-26, 5:15am
Boro newb

I know some folks have tricks for these such as using hot plates etc. to get them warm before attaching them.
Old 2005-06-26, 8:41am
koregon

well I would say if you got those in a beginners kit, and you are just learning...and new...put them away and concentrate on making a good donut style bead...get used to your flame and glass...and not worry about using your millies quite yet

Old 2014-08-25, 7:20am

I love working with millefiori but would never attempt to do so as a beginner. I believe one needs to master encasing first or at least putting dots onto a bead. Just my humble opinion.
Old 2014-08-25, 11:08am

Just warm several, put them on your bead, and let them melt in. Run a clear stringer through them, or let gravity take over and have fun with them!

Barbara
Old 2014-08-25, 11:12pm
Naysayer

I don't mean to sound rude, just curious, BarbaraD why are you boosting all these old threads?
Old 2014-08-26, 7:41am
Fried Cat

Seriously! I was thinking "holy crap! Square One Beads doesn't know millefiori????" My brain refused to process it.

Then I looked at the date.
Old 2014-08-26, 7:58am
A True Woofer

Holy thread resurrection Batman!

Old 2014-08-28, 9:56am

I have done that too by accident (resurrected an old thread) I get looking through topics and find something interesting. I respond only to find out it was waaaaayyyyyy old. Oops!! Maybe thats what happened here

and also ......
Old 2014-08-28, 11:33am
Slogan Challenged...

lol, neat to see how folks started out!

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2014-08-28, 11:28pm
Naysayer

lol no, it was a lot of threads, if it were one I would've not wondered. One even had Jodel posting in it haha.
Old 2014-08-30, 6:29am

Just a wild guess here, but since the board seems to be dying down a bit lately, (I saw a big thank you post in an old sticky so) she's trying to generate interest and participation again (?)

-D

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-