Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-03-21, 8:17am
DaveK

Default Murrine, Effete, where to get 104.

I had a class on making simple murrine using 104 and have made some Boro sig murrine. I am ready to go back and try it again with soft glass. I know the experts source their glass from many different sources and mix the colors to get the shades they are looking for, but I am looking for a sample pack or at least a list to buy for 104 COE specifically with murrine in mind.

What brand and from what source would be a good sampling of wiziwig murrine colors.

TIA Dave
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2014-03-21, 8:46am

Hi Dave

Thatīs a bit difficult, what kind of murrini do you want to make? Pictures like fish and frogs and faces or more some like the 3D flowermurrini or more the effectmurrini that are melted in?

for pictural murrini I would advice you to use
Reichenbach deep black cause it is really black and does no webbing
For white Cim peace or coconutmilk, cause they are both white and donīt vanish, like moretti white, thatīs important for flowermurrini!
for yellow and orange you can use all moretticollors eccept you want to make flowerpetals on 3D flowers then I advice you to take citron yellow, coral, or apricot cause they are dense! but very soft.
Blues are all good as far as I know but I donīt use much blue.
For faces Iīm not sure but I would try some of the new cim colors cause they look so good like skin...
for green you should always cover greens in transparent green cause it always runs away, by pictural murrini is it always good to cover them in clear so they stay longer in shape.
clear I would use moretti 006.
And for the molten in effectmurrini black dens from moretti because of itīs webeffect and opal yellow from moretti cause it spreads very beautiful.

hope I have helped you
greets Sandra

my blog
Old 2014-03-21, 8:49am
DaveK

Thanks Sandra so who do you get yours from? Is there a website that sells most of what you mentioned?
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2014-03-21, 8:55am
DaveK

Just looking to replicate oil paint.
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2014-03-21, 9:18am
Shelarious

Hi KA, I think you should take a look at what Steve Boehme is doing - http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showt...murrini-a-week

Check out his latest: http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showt...311#post787311

Old 2014-03-21, 9:20am

Sorry Dave
Iīm from germany and I think it would be better to find an american shop to buy all stuff,
but maybe Frantz art glass he has almost everything
http://www.frantzartglass.com/index....c41d49083e3f7d

Greets Sandra

my blog
Old 2014-03-21, 9:25am

Frantz
Art glass house
Art glass east
Mountain glass arts
Howaco

All good sources. Howaco sells by the rod if you want that.
Old 2014-03-21, 9:26am
DaveK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshelle View Post
Hi KA, I think you should take a look at what Steve Boehme is doing - http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showt...murrini-a-week

Check out his latest: http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showt...311#post787311

I have been following this thread. Thanks tho
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2014-03-21, 9:32am

Hi Dave. If you want a white or black that are dense I recommend CiM's Peace and Hades. Peace will also get a separation line in certain applications, in case you want to avoid that. It would be great for the background of a signature cane, though.

Old 2014-03-21, 4:12pm
Shelarious

I use only peace & tuxedo in my sig canes.

Old 2014-03-21, 4:26pm
honorary bead lady

Dave Glasscraft would be local to you
Old 2014-03-21, 4:59pm
DaveK

Quote:
Originally Posted by houptdavid View Post
Dave Glasscraft would be local to you

I was just in there yesterday and they said they are closing out all their 104. Moving it to CO.
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2014-03-22, 12:04am
Slogan Challenged...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra View Post
Hi Dave

Thatīs a bit difficult, what kind of murrini do you want to make? Pictures like fish and frogs and faces or more some like the 3D flowermurrini or more the effectmurrini that are melted in?

for pictural murrini I would advice you to use
For white Cim peace or coconutmilk, cause they are both white and donīt vanish, like moretti white, thatīs important for flowermurrini!
for yellow and orange you can use all moretticollors eccept you want to make flowerpetals on 3D flowers then I advice you to take citron yellow, coral, or apricot cause they are dense! but very soft.
Blues are all good as far as I know but I donīt use much blue.
For faces Iīm not sure but I would try some of the new cim colors cause they look so good like skin...
for green you should always cover greens in transparent green cause it always runs away, by pictural murrini is it always good to cover them in clear so they stay longer in shape.
clear I would use moretti 006.
And for the molten in effectmurrini black dens from moretti because of itīs webeffect and opal yellow from moretti cause it spreads very beautiful.

hope I have helped you
greets Sandra
Sandra, thanks for sharing all that info!

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2014-03-22, 6:16am
DaveK

Default Murrine, Effete, where to get 104.

Yes, thank you... again. (TIA means "Thanks In Advance")☺

P.S. The reason I ask is, so many colors only work on the surface. Also, with Boro anyway, the crayon or wiziwig colors bubble quite easily. Also interested in what colors mix with other colors well, or conversely are reactive. Coming from a fusing background there is a extensive list of colors that react with each other. I just want to avoid those and any other pitfalls.

Again, TIA
You can call me Dave 🎨

Last edited by KA; 2014-03-22 at 7:16am.
Old 2014-03-22, 2:07pm
Sucks at being nice

Avoid any of the CIM that are opal like.
Be careful with greens. They tend to "swallow" other pastel colors if not encased or right next to black.
I have heard certain dark yellows and corals can cause cracking. I stick to lemon yellow and haven't had any issues.
Spend the extra money for a really good clear. I prefer Aether because is "soft" and melts easily. Makes it easier to fill nooks and crannies. Also, after all the work on a gather the last thing you want is scum in your clear. I save the scummy stuff for capping the ends.
I don't know of any obviously bubbly colors. Alabasters and opalinos don't work well for murrini and they are typically the trouble colors in 104.

Old 2014-03-22, 2:23pm

104 opaques generally don't have bubbling problems - dark transparent blues and turquoises can do if they get too hot.

Cadmium opaque colours can have problems if they are direct on the mandrel and then encased, but I think that's less likely to be a problem in murrini. It varies, too. CiM's yellows and oranges tend to be fine encased, and Effetre pastel yellow (aka buttercream) and orange have been fine for me.

Reactions: ivory and copper colours like turquoise will give a brown line.

A lot of the opaque greens are streaky as well as being spreading - they'll get darker lines around where you've applied more glass.

If you want sharp fine lines, yep, go with Reichenbach dense black. It is the densest and least reactive. CiM Hades will web when superheated. Standard Effetre black is fine for larger areas, but you can tell it's purple based when thin.

|
|
|
|
Old 2014-03-22, 3:08pm
Storm Queen

Double Helix came out with the black and white glass that they use in their murrini. I bought the black...they don't have up for sale right now. I haven't had a chance to try it. I just bought the white...they still have that for sale.

Old 2014-03-22, 10:09pm

I like Howaco to order from, you can buy by the rod if you want to try some colors to see how they work for your application.

Caroline
Old 2014-03-23, 6:36am
DaveK

All good info. Thanks everyone.
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2014-03-23, 7:32am

My last sig milli was made with ivory and med red effetre. I also made one with turquoise blue and dark Ivory. I liked the reactions in the colors you just have to be clever on how you use them.

colors never to use in a murrini
cim sage
any coral
dont mix lousha colors with effetre at all. checked everytime
dont put opalinos by cadmium reds
effetre periwinkle and red check when touching

good luck with murrini making its a blast

Old 2014-03-24, 3:00am
Shelarious

MrSmeeth, you are my hero btw

Old 2014-03-24, 7:34am
DaveK

So to recap

Good for making murrine:
For white Cim peace or coconutmilk
Clear: moretti 006 or Aether
CiM's Peace and Hades
peace & tuxedo
lemon yellow
buttercream

Bad for making murrine:
moretti white
Avoid any of the CIM that are opal like.
I have heard certain dark yellows and corals can cause cracking.
Alabasters and opalinos don't work well for murrini and they are typically the trouble colors in 104.
cim sage
any coral

Things to watch:
CiM Hades will web when superheated. Standard Effetre black is fine for larger areas, but you can tell it's purple based when thin.
dont mix lousha colors with effetre at all. checked everytime
dont put opalinos by cadmium reds
effetre periwinkle and red check when touching
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2014-03-24, 8:28am
Loving learning

OK, I'm feeling confused, what is "check" in this instance?
Old 2014-03-24, 8:31am
DaveK

Good question. I always assume it was surface bubbling. Please correct me if I am wrong.
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2014-03-24, 8:51am
dances with ideas...

I thought it meant an incompatibility crack?

Old 2014-03-24, 9:17am
Loving learning

Well now I feel better, and am glad I asked. I almost didn't.
Old 2014-03-24, 11:08am
It's all about the color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
It's more than just the Ivory. It's colors that have Sulfur in them: yellows, reds, etc. They're the ones listed in this chart as Special Colors.
http://www.chrisfisherart.com/Morett...ic%20Chart.htm

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)