No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-04-03, 8:02am
old person/new member

Default cutting sheet metals with scroll saw

Has anyone ever tried cutting sterling, copper or brass sheet with a scroll saw? I have a delta scroll saw that is perfect for making very very fine cuts and I am pretty sure you can get metal cutting blades for it.

Any one try this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-04-03, 9:41am

I found that my scroll saw had a bit too much vibration for good sheet metal cutting. I use a jewelers saw for any precision work. It's a little slower but the accuracy is there.

http://www.ottofrei.com/store/home.p...32|Y|1024|768|

Robert
Old 2009-04-03, 10:36am
No Problem!

If your scroll saw has variable speed and you use the fine metal cutting blades, you should be able to make some nice cuts..the metals you mentioned are on the soft side so that makes it that much easier...can't say I've cut much metal on my scroll saw though.
The variable speed makes all the difference for certain projects.

(Beau & Shani)

Old 2009-04-03, 11:07am

Default Hmmm,

Yeah,

Cutting on a scroll saw kinda sucks. If you get VERY good blades then it's not too bad but unfortunately they are waaaay more expensive than 'jeweler saw blades'. Depending on the metal, they can break just as often and this is especially true if you don't have a saw that you can 'slow right down' (variable speed).

I would certainly agree that the Jeweler's saw with 'good blades' is the way to go. You can cut just about any gauge with those things but it does tend to take a bit more time and more muscle. The cost is really inexpensive though and setup is easy. This is certainly the way to go if you don't have 'a lot' of pieces to do.

Alternatively,

You may want to look into 'water jet' or laser cutting of your material(s). I would only look into this if you have a 'number' of shapes and cuts that you want to make as I believe there is a setup fee at most places. You can get ANYTHING cut (sheet glass, metal, concrete, acrylic, whatever...) at these places and the exactness is truly mind boggling. All you normally have to do is provide a .DXF or similar image (free converters are available) and they will set it up and cut out your shapes. I've done up to 4' x 8' sheets of 24oz and 48oz copper and the finished product was 'perfect'. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how much it DID cost as the billing was done through the client but 'the client' seemed VERY happy as to the price she was billed.

As we all know, the economy kinda sucks right now so there may be places willing to take on small jobs at a decent price in order to keep their people busy. It might be worth a look and of course, doesn't cost anything but time in order to do so....

Cheers,

/Jman...
Old 2009-04-04, 6:00am
old person/new member

Thanks you guys! I'm going to give it a try since I have the saw. I haven't used it in years but I do kind of remember it vibrating.