No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-05-31, 1:39am
one day at a time

Default Airsep NewLife

I just got an Airsep NewLife oxygen concentrator. My sister gave it to me last night. Not the Elite, it just says NewLife. It was my mom's for medical use, and I forgot all about it. So did my sister. (considering the circumstances of the past couple of years of our lives, I was forced to forget a LOT of things)

After the fire, my sister took it to a friend's house to store when she was moving our mother's things out of her bedroom. This machine was in the part of the house that didn't burn in the fire, but she said it had a little bit of soot on the outside of it. We are sure that the heat blast did not reach this room, only the smoke. Because of a couple of things in that room that were intact - the glycerin soaps and the beeswax candles that were on a dresser. If it got hot in that room, those things would have melted. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. Also, the firemen did not soak this part of the house, so we know the concentrator did not get wet. When my mother moved to the nursing home after her stay in the hospital, they did not want her to bring her own concentrator or nebulizer. Because they had been exposed to the smoke. I can understand that.

Actually, I don't see how it took in any of the smoke, because my mother would have shut it off. Right before she switched to the portable tank when they were rushing out of the house. My sister says she is 100% sure that the electricity was off by then. All the lights were off in the main long hallway leading away from the bedroom, and the kitchen overhead, so the power was definitely off. So, even if my mom left this machine in the on position, that means that smoke could not have cycled into it. I'm just guessing.

Of course, I won't really know anything until I inspect the inside of it. I have never owned a regular concentrator so I don't know the first thing about taking care of one. I have a generator that is completely maintenance free. I guess I am afraid to turn it on because it's been in storage since Feb 2011. Stored in a garage, but dry, well ventilated, and very neatly kept garage. Which is good, but isn't that a long time?

When I open it up, what do I look for? What do I need to maintain/replace on it regularly? I do not want to plug it in until it's inspected. My mom did smoke in the same room, but she always turned it off. I'm thinking cigarette smoke build-up could be still be possible. I thought I read a thread recently about a concentrator with nicotine build-up in the internal hoses.

I don't know where to start, and I would really appreciate the help. Thanks!

Last edited by Lisi; 2013-05-31 at 2:01am.
Old 2013-05-31, 3:04am

where to start?
turn it on! check for flow...check that the lpm knob actually makes a difference when turned. listen to the compressor. does it sound normal? test the o2 purity if you're able. if you're unable, maybe connect it to a minor and see if it's good burnable oxy.

probably wouldn't hurt to install new hoses, definitely replace the filters.
Old 2013-05-31, 5:01am
I fart diamonds

There's a filter on the back that needs to be washed and an internal filter that needs to be changed every 25k hours (the hour meter is on the front of the machine). If it turns on and powers your torch, I wouldn't worry about opening it up, other than to change that inline filter when needed. (It's just a screw on each side panel.) They're probably one of the least complex machines I've worked on. Here's a manual (All of the Newlife models are pretty much the same):

http://www.frankshospitalworkshop.co...ice_manual.pdf

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-05-31, 2:11pm
one day at a time

Thanks to both of you!