No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-11-27, 7:30pm
Colors outside the lines

Question Thoughts on this workbench?

I'm just getting started and am trying to find a nice reasonably priced workbench for a studio in my 2-car garage. Please take a look at this one and tell me what you think. I like that the depth is 30" as it will be facing a wall. Any advise or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/gcs/...emKey=30036934

Leah
Old 2006-11-27, 8:07pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Typically they are a stout work bench that will probably do exactly what you expect from it.... You will need to place something flame resistant on surface below torch to keep hot glass from destroying bench top...

Might be kind of cool to have two of the optional drawers added on... One on each side of torch....

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2006-11-27 at 8:10pm.
Old 2006-11-27, 9:33pm
PyronamixK

What Dale said. As for a flame resistant surface, hardibacker board is a good choice. I would put a piece of it on the wall to protect it from the torch flame, too.
Old 2006-11-27, 10:44pm
Procrastinate Now!!

Hey Thanks Leah!! Evidently no one looks in the Studio anymore.

Those who restrain desire do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained.
Old 2006-11-27, 11:13pm

that looks perfect! it would also give you a foot rest when torching if you are going to sit at a taller stool type chair. Doesnt seem like a bad deal either.
and of course the flame resistant stuff mentioned above. I use sheet steel and screw it down to my table

Old 2006-11-28, 1:43am

It looks great but you might need to work out what your work posture will be. The bottom shelf/bar means that you won't be able to push your chair underneath the table, which means that you may be in an unconfortable slumped forward posture to work for any length of time.

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2006-11-28, 6:40am
Who me?

Hmmmm. I have a restaurant prep table the bottom shelf is 4 inches from the floor and comes all the way across. Pulling the chair under the table is not an issue for me since I use the creation station and have it to rest my elbows on. This table look ideal to me. It's a little cheaper that the stainless steel top prep table. Think I paid about $120 locally.
Old 2006-11-28, 6:46am
Shine your bright side!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Londez View Post
It looks great but you might need to work out what your work posture will be. The bottom shelf/bar means that you won't be able to push your chair underneath the table, which means that you may be in an unconfortable slumped forward posture to work for any length of time.
The bottom shelf is only on the back half of the bench and does not interfere with sitting close to the bench. It provides a nice foot rest.

I think the bench is perfect and would love to have one.

Website!
"When you discover your mission, you will feel its demand. It will fill you with enthusiasm and a burning desire to get to work on it." - W. Clement Stone
Old 2006-11-28, 9:21am
Missing presumed fed

Looks great. Love the fact that the height is adjustable. As Dale said, obviously you'll have to cover the top with something. If it weren't for that, it would be perfect.
Old 2006-11-28, 11:16am
Procrastinate Now!!

Hey Leah, I'm thinking that if we bought the pegboard attachment too, that would be a perfect thing to attach the ventilation hood to. (covering up the holes of course)

Last edited by sadiesmom; 2006-11-28 at 11:33am.
Old 2006-11-28, 11:27am
Does it come in Purple???

Hey Leah - that looks like a nice table. Have you checked out Sams Club? They have some sort of stainless steel workbench right now but I'm not sure how deep it is. I can check for you the next time I go. I checked their website and they don't have what I'm talking about.

I haven't talked to you in a while - I was hoping you were already set up.

~~

Bloodletting, mayhem and massacre first thing in the morning is the best way to start the day
Old 2006-11-28, 9:46pm
Colors outside the lines

Denise, I was thinking along those same lines myself. I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and order one.

Jodie, I've been having to work 2 weeks of every month in my company's Iowa office for the past 2 months. Look's like this will continue another couple of weeks. I haven't been to Sams lately so I'm not sure what they have for work benches. I'll give you a call in the next few days and if you have some time, I could sure use some help getting everything hooked up!

Leah
Old 2006-11-28, 10:46pm
da General

Ikea has one with stainless steel top - you can order a matching "backsplash" too. Just another option:

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/store...umber=80059652
Old 2006-11-29, 9:45pm
Colors outside the lines

Thanks all for your comments and suggestions!

Leah
Old 2006-12-06, 1:36pm
Procrastinate Now!!

Leah...

Have you gotten a bench yet??

Old 2006-12-06, 6:44pm
Colors outside the lines

No, I haven't ordered it yet---how about you? I've got a crazy travel schedule (my REAL job) and will be out of town several times in the next 2 weeks. I want to have it delivered between Xmas and New Year's if possible as I know I'll be home then and can get some help putting it together. I'm definitely getting one, though.

Leah
Old 2006-12-07, 1:53pm
Procrastinate Now!!

The check I have been waiting for finally cleared, and I got the go ahead from hubby to buy one, so I'm going to order mine today. Merry Christmas to me... WHEEE!!!

Old 2006-12-07, 1:55pm

I like the stoutness of the bench and covering the top should be simple.

Barb
Old 2006-12-08, 4:40pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
Ikea has one with stainless steel top - you can order a matching "backsplash" too. Just another option:

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/store...umber=80059652

I have this one and I love it. I stand while I torch and it's the right height. It would be good with an adjustable chair also. The backsplash was in the box with it. I was thinking about using it as a tool organizer. You have the option of attaching it or not.

Old 2008-05-05, 1:19am
Old to LE, new to torch

Just bookmarking