Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-07-17, 11:22am
It's about having fun!

Default I think I invented a tool That doesn't exist..

It puts a very decent hole in hot glass, wham, one easy step! I modified something I found at the dollar store! It really works! I've looked around and do not see any tool like it! What do I do with this? I mean, would it be wrong to try to make a buck? I have alot of doctor bills.....
(Posted in the bathroom, thought I'd ask here too)
Thank you! Joni
Old 2011-07-17, 11:54am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Hey I'd be interested! I always have a problem with the tweezers to make holes and tungsten picks don't work for me either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-07-17, 12:17pm

I would be interested too... I'm not Crazy about the Peter tweezers I bought.
Old 2011-07-17, 12:19pm
grama punky - class junky

me three

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-07-17, 12:25pm
Flame Dames Rule!

The Peters tweezers aren't for making holes in glass, just for marking equal points on both sides of a bead (like targeting where fish eyes should be).

I'd like to see your tool too, I have a heck of a time making holes, especially in button shanks.

*sharon*

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2011-07-17, 12:32pm
Gimme that silver glass!

I'd be interested and imho there is nothing wrong with trying to make a living out of something you came up with .

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2011-07-17, 12:39pm
It's about having fun!

Thank you! I was so dang frustrated with this! I had learned to make off mandrel hearts but couldn't get a hole in them and the loop deal freaked me out, I tried the tweezer deal, well made my own, nope.. ah I still remember how frustrated I was, then when I figured it out, ahhhhhhhhhh I was so excited, with no one to tell that really got it! I'll try to post some pictures, that I have trouble with, the sizing! I'd like to see someone take my tool and make it professional, it really works!
Thank you! Joni
Old 2011-07-17, 12:58pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonP View Post
The Peters tweezers aren't for making holes in glass, just for marking equal points on both sides of a bead (like targeting where fish eyes should be).

I'd like to see your tool too, I have a heck of a time making holes, especially in button shanks.

*sharon*
Thanks Sharon. I did not realize that.

Becky

Last edited by beadmama; 2011-07-17 at 1:10pm.
Old 2011-07-17, 1:10pm
It's about having fun!

Going to try to upload a few pictures, the sizing thing kills me.
Thank you! Joni
Old 2011-07-17, 1:14pm
Angie09

I'm a graphic designer and would be happy to size them for you ... it would literally take a couple of minutes. If you want, you can send them to me at:

angie@gdetails.com

I'll size them and send them right back.
Old 2011-07-17, 2:28pm
It's about having fun!

Thank you Angie, I have been trying, talking about frustration! I just sent you an email, it wouldn't let me type anything! lol I hate computer crap! I should try a better pic, but this is the one I snapped. Thanks again!
Thank you! Joni
Old 2011-07-17, 2:28pm
Loving learning

You can also get a free program, called Irfanview, that resizes quite easily.
Just resize the image, and then for the web make the quality no more than about 80% to keep your kb size down. (I've tried them at higher and even with the same dimensions it just is too big.)
Old 2011-07-17, 2:34pm
Angie09

Here's the pic from Joni showing the holes in the glass hearts .... need to know how to easily do this!!!

Old 2011-07-17, 2:42pm
Nikki Haverstock

My biggest issue with hearts is making the hole. If it was reasonable I would buy one.
Old 2011-07-17, 2:45pm
It's about having fun!

Thanks so much Angie! That's very kind of you, I appreciate it! I just need to sit down and figure the dang picture thing out! I will, I miss so much not being able to participate because I can't figure it out! I hate computer crap!
Thank you! Joni
Old 2011-07-17, 2:47pm
It's about having fun!

Thank you Eileen I will give it a shot!!!!
Thank you! Joni
Old 2011-07-17, 3:43pm
Burnt Wood Beads

I would be interested in buying one. Or maybe even you can make a tutorial on how to make your own and use it???

Julie

Old 2011-07-17, 4:51pm
It's about having fun!

The tutorial idea is interesting!
Thank you! Joni
Old 2011-07-17, 5:05pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

I think you might make more money by
offering a 5 or 10 $ tutorial on how to
modify the tool, AND offer the tool itself
to those who don't want to do it themselves.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2011-07-17, 5:38pm
Senior Moment

[quote=SharonP;3627574]The Peters tweezers aren't for making holes in glass, just for marking equal points on both sides of a bead (like targeting where fish eyes should be).QUOTE]

I have used the Peter's Tweezers to make holes successfully for years. I also have used other tools, but Peter's makes great holes for me

Old 2011-07-17, 6:59pm

I bought a tool on lampwork that was inexpensive and works well. If I can figure out who I bought it from I will post it. It looks like reformed needle nose pliers.
Old 2011-07-17, 7:14pm
Uh-oh means it's too late

This sounds very interesting and most definitely worth checking out! I can't wait to see what you decide to do. The holes look great so I am definitely intrigued!

Old 2011-07-17, 7:25pm
just another tool fool...

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofswords View Post
I bought a tool on lampwork that was inexpensive and works well. If I can figure out who I bought it from I will post it. It looks like reformed needle nose pliers.
The pliers you're talking about sound like the ones that Jodie of Ruskin Designs. Hers are awesome for making holes!

Click banner for my Etsy:

Old 2011-07-17, 8:02pm
Must Torch...

OMG I need to be able to make nice consistent holes...I will buy one!!! The tutorial idea is great too I just don't have the time....send me an invoice for the tool and I will be happy to pay it!!!!

Old 2011-07-17, 8:44pm
It's about having fun!

Spooky how's it going in Iowa? I moved from Mason City here to Az, I sure get home sick once in awhile! I'll be sure to let people know when I figure it out!!!
Thank you! Joni
Old 2011-07-17, 9:58pm
Must Torch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonibird View Post
Spooky how's it going in Iowa? I moved from Mason City here to Az, I sure get home sick once in awhile! I'll be sure to let people know when I figure it out!!!
OMG so HOT right now!!!! I will have to look around to find the perfect thing but i will be happy to send ya some Iowa memories!!

Old 2011-07-17, 11:40pm

Maria: That is exactly what they are and I love them for making my bails. here's the link for anyone wanting to check them out. http://www.etsy.com/shop/RuskinDesigns
Old 2011-07-18, 5:37am
Resident hippie

I hope you do well with this Joni. Medical bills suck.
Selling a tut on how to modify something from the dollar store sounds great.
I hope we have the same thing this side of the Atlantic. . .

ETA oh and Joni - I don't know about Irfanview, I'm sure it would work. The free program I downloaded is called Gimp and I use that to change the size of my pics so they go easily into the image uploader here.
Pm me if you'd like my route from camera to thread.

Have FUN!!!!! It's not about perfection..... Leslie - [not so] Crazy Woman

Last edited by Beadanna; 2011-07-18 at 5:40am.
Old 2011-07-18, 6:17am
It's about having fun!

Thank you Anna!
Thank you! Joni
Old 2011-07-19, 5:52am
And silence is golden

Bail Biters are available through various sources. If your idea is different from the ones out there, then I would say that you invented it! I like the idea of including a tutorial....or instructions for that matter.

Bail Biter

Tags
hole in glass, tool