No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-01-28, 10:39am
Bead Maniac

Default Dumbest thing you have done while Torching

I was just wondering if any one else out there does really dumb things while working ,excluding burns, I could tell really stupid stories on burning.

Ok here is mine about 2001 I bought a new kiln called the Big Blue and you could open the top to peek in . I was working all day in my gallery and people would come in and watch me so I'd open it up to show the contents. Clueless to the fact my pyrometer fell out so the temp just kept rising. I was so excited I had been so productive it ws full . Next day I open it up with the expectations of at least 60 beads , uh huh a big glass blob ....So lesson learned that Pyrometer has beed wired on and checked.

I have many more stories .....but I'll spare myself the embarassment...

So how about you ? Susan

Free tutorial coming soon to my website.....

My blog.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2014-01-28, 10:57am
Salt Box Beads

I made this really cool frit tray that could hold four or more blends. Yep, It was aluminum and light weight and I accidently hit it and the whole thing flipped over! What a mess, Glass was everywhere.

Now my trays are flat bottom and heavy brass or graphite so the most I could do it push them rather than flip the whole thing over. Another lesson learned. WHY do we all have to learn the hard way???
Old 2014-01-28, 11:08am

I did this one just this past Saturday. Laurie and I were going out for lunch, I was ready to go but she had to shower so I went to my torch to try and Idea I had. I was wearing for the first time a new Pullover she bought me for Christmas, I went to put the bead under the table to make sure the glow was gone and on the way down I hit the pullover making big burn marks on the front of it.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2014-01-28, 11:14am

Left the gate open. Came back to find 8 goats in my shop, including the one standing on my bench. Broken glass and goat poop everywhere.
Old 2014-01-28, 11:53am

My marble fell off the punty. I caught it between my thighs.
Old 2014-01-28, 12:04pm
Bead Maniac

Ok you have me beat with the goats Hahahah

My blog.

Old 2014-01-28, 12:30pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcyon View Post
Left the gate open. Came back to find 8 goats in my shop, including the one standing on my bench. Broken glass and goat poop everywhere.
We definitely need a picture of that! (The goat at the bench, I mean. The poop, not so much.)

Old 2014-01-28, 12:49pm
Remember to keep smiling

Baah! Haah! couldn't resist that. Too funny.

SRA#P109
Old 2014-01-28, 1:16pm
Torching since 2004

Unpacking my cardboard tubes that contained my glass in shipping half way across the country, I was having a hard time getting them out. Brilliant thought "just angle toward the floor and give it a good thump on the end". Well that worked and despite the glass being wrapped and wrapped again it all came out at once and fell 2 feet to the floor and I lost about 4 pounds of DH or should I say it is sitting in a box to try and make frit from it.

Old 2014-01-28, 4:11pm
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcyon View Post
Well.....We've ALL done that one. Bwahahahaha! (Not really).

Old 2014-01-28, 4:49pm
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by wojobeada View Post
My marble fell off the punty. I caught it between my thighs.

Oh did this bring back memories! My mom was driving her new Datsun and I was 16 or 17 and we had dressed up and were headed to the movies. Yes, you dressed up to go the movies back then...

She dropped her cigarette, caught it between her knees and had two big holes in her nylons and two big red blisters showcased in her nylon holes!! I laughed so hard I couldn't breathe. We still laugh over that one.

Hopefully you are too. It just seems to be a natural reflex
Old 2014-01-28, 8:16pm
Bead Maniac

HahahahahH these are all so funny my friend Patti reminded me today about a rat running across her torch table ...I'm waiting for her to tell the story...

I just completed my first tutorial it's On m Website for free ...
Clio magic ....check it out I'd love some feed back....

My blog.

Old 2014-01-28, 8:53pm

Showing my daughter how to make a bead, reached for a rod....yup right in front of the flame...yup major burn...yup played it cool...burned like ____ to this day she won't come near the torch.

Lanford BeadWorks
Old 2014-01-28, 9:29pm

So, the cat wanted to be scratched, and......

Barbara
Old 2014-01-28, 10:25pm
Loving learning

Things where I didn't get burned? Just little stuff mostly.

Putting a rod of hot glass down on a printed tutorial.

Using a dowel rod to hold a push pin to wind glass on it (way to short to keep the dowel away from the flame).

Leaving the oxycon on a bit to light the flame "easier" ~ fireball anyone?
Old 2014-01-29, 4:21am
lurking on LE since 2005

I work in a closed off garage. The carbon monoxide had built up enough that I was nearly passing out, but just had to finish that last bead, head starts nodding off....luckily, I didn't burn my forehead or DIE... pure oxygen is something of a "cure" for that, and I did spend some time breathing that in afterwards. Now, I pay much more attention to those "signs"
**I use ventilation NOW, normally I just keep the screen door open.

J-55

Check out my Encasing and HOLLOW tri-color Tutorials in my Etsy shop-and my NEW encased, layered, feathered bead!

Last edited by Charmaine; 2014-01-30 at 8:59am.
Old 2014-01-29, 6:07am
Naysayer

the goats :O

Well I was perusing the gallery, this thread was bumped http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...highlight=salt

I was like oh wow I have to try this! So I add (a lot of) salt to a spray bottle and try it out. Little did I know at the time how much of an area the spray was going (my whole torch area). Ok well we all know what salt does to brass over time? Well I sped up that process to a couple of days. Almost all of my brass tools are patina green, stainless tools are rust To this day I'm still finding rods with salt on them.
..oh and it didn't do a thing to the glass.
Old 2014-01-29, 6:56am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmaine View Post
I work in a closed off garage. The carbon monoxide had built up enough that I was nearly passing out, but just had to finish that last bead, head starts nodding off....luckily, I didn't burn my forehead or DIE... pure oxygen is something of a "cure" for that, and I did spend some time breathing that in afterwards. Now, I pay much more attention to those "signs"
you dont use any sort of ventilation?
Old 2014-01-29, 8:46am
Shelarious

All I have to say is make sure that your lids are on tight when you shake up a giant bottle of brand-new bead release because that stuff flies.

Old 2014-01-29, 10:10am

I thought it would be fine to walk into my studio barefoot, after all I had just vaccumed!
Old 2014-01-29, 6:09pm
honorary bead lady

First this wasn't me, but don't forget to sweep with a brush not your hand

Old 2014-01-29, 6:22pm
Loving learning

O.
M.
G.
!!!!
Old 2014-01-29, 6:26pm

Well that's an interesting choice for the finger OUCH!!!!!

Lanford BeadWorks
Old 2014-01-29, 11:55pm

When I first started melting glass, I wanted to make paperweights. Realizing that it would be awhile and require a bigger torch before I could make a paperweight, I bought a pyramid shaped mold so I could make a glass paperweight for my desk. Read about 3 sentences on the internet about how it was done, then confidently painted the mold with kiln wash and filled with boro scraps and frit. Popped that puppy in my little kiln and cranked her up. At somewhere around 3 hours, I peeked in and although it was really bright inside, I could see that the boro was beginning to melt (a little around the edges). At six hours, a bit more was melted but still almost the same shape as when I started. At nine hours, I could tell it was getting to be fluid. At 10 hours, it was about the same as 9 hours. At 11 hours, it was finally all melted, but had not evened out in the mold. I could still see swirls of cooler glass. At 12 hours, I was getting really tired. I hadn't started this adventure until about 2:00 in the afternoon........ at 13 hours, it still looked like it did at 11 hours. By 12 hours, I had figured out to put my didys on when I peeked in the kiln. Now I could see that I really was not making progress. At 15 hours, I called it quits and turned the kiln OFF. No ramp down, nada.

Next day, go out and lo and behold, the glass was melted and the glass had evened out to close to smooth. So I flipped that mold over expecting my new paperweight to slide out. Nope. NOT. BUDGING. So I soak, and I soak and I soak. Nope. Nada. Then I try an itty bitty drill bit....if I could just find a way to get a grip on that puppy-I could pull it out of the mold. I even tried heating up a rod to molten and attaching it to the bottom of the pyramid. No go.

So it sat on my shelf taunting me for about a year. I'd look up and there it would be snickering at me. Finally I had enough and decided that the mold was useless with glass stuck in it so I got me a hammer. Neither the mold or the paperweight survived but the paperweight no longer taunts me.

All my children have paws
Proud Member of "YOU PEOPLE" 9.13.11

Last edited by SerendipityArtGlass; 2014-01-29 at 11:57pm.
Old 2014-01-30, 1:33pm
Must..have..more...glass

Probably wasted most of a tank of propane and needlessly replaced hoses because I was too lazy to do a proper job of checking for the propane leak. Finally found it after my spouse gave me an ultimatum--find the leak or no more working on the torch. And yes, I know it probably wasn't safe even though the tank was outside any structure.

Last edited by Winter Fire; 2014-01-30 at 6:23pm.
Old 2014-01-30, 3:05pm

Yep, that's mine, too - I had *just* taken the lid off, put the lid back on and for some reason didn't screw it on tight, got distracted for a second, and then shook the crap out of the bottle. Lid flew off, and bead release went everywhere - including in my hair. That was *not* a fun day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshelle View Post
All I have to say is make sure that your lids are on tight when you shake up a giant bottle of brand-new bead release because that stuff flies.

Old 2014-01-30, 6:38pm
Wonder-wench

thought I would be smart and warm up my murrini by putting them in one of the holes on a marble mold and setting it just inside the kiln bead door. I didn't take into account that the handle was made of wood. Now my mold has a lovely black char on the handle.

Old 2014-01-30, 9:28pm
Bead Maniac

Hahaha ouch .....great stories..

My blog.

Old 2014-02-05, 3:04am

I licked my graphite paddle to make the silver foil stick.
Forgetting that I had only just used it to marver the bead.
I burned my lip and sizzled my tongue.

Custard...it's just like hot icecream!
Old 2014-02-05, 10:43am
Glass-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshelle View Post
Ditto! I'm still finding blue sludge around!!!! And it's been a year! Oh and I did it more than once, more than two times that week....

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.: