Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-09-20, 1:48am

Default Liquid Etchall white residue

This has probably been answered before but i can't seem to find the info.

What is the white residue that sometimes appears on beads after they are liquid etched?

I etch my beads then rinse them and usually leave them to soak for a while. I then let them air dry.
Sometimes a white residue forms on certain colours, not all of them, that can be easily wiped off, but what is it??

I doubt it's from the etching liquid itself as its been washed off, so it has to be from the glass? is it toxic? what is it ?

Any help would be great

Regis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Magma Beads .
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-09-20, 3:42am
one day at a time

Scrub it off using a toothbrush and toothpaste, not soap. Soap is too slippery and the bead might slip out of your fingers and go rolling off onto the floor. (ask me how I know) It also helps to have the bead on a mandrel in your hand while you are cleaning.

I have no idea what the residue is, and it can be even worse when you neutralize with baking soda. Although, recently I read that it is best to neutralize with lime. Powdered garden lime, not the fruit.
Old 2013-09-20, 4:13am
sunscreen me baby

~

Last edited by SuzyQ; 2013-09-20 at 4:28pm. Reason: incorrect info
Old 2013-09-20, 4:59am

Go to the grocery store and buy a box of Washing Soda (NOT Baking Soda) - it's in with the laundry stuff and cost about $1. Rinse your beads and soak them in a solution of the the washing soda (about a tbsp in a cup of water) for about 15 minutes, then rinse again. You are retaining just enough HF in the surface of the glass to continue the etching process at a very slow rate and you're getting residual etched silica on the surface.

Robert
Old 2013-09-20, 6:19am

I take mine out of the etch and put in water with baking soda in it to neutralize the acid. Then I rinse off with water then tumble them, the tumbler will rub off the white.

-D

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2013-09-20, 7:04am
one day at a time

I can't remember where I read it on here, but it has been determined that we should be using lime instead of baking soda to neutralize? Because supposedly the baking soda is not as effective as we would like to think.
Old 2013-09-20, 7:34am

I use lots of baking soda in water to neutralize, then soap and a toothbrush to scrub off the residue. Has worked for me for over a decade.

Old 2013-09-20, 10:10am

Washing soda is more effective than baking soda (though this does work) and easier to deal with than lime. Fats don't neutralize acid, so milk is not a very effective way to get rid of HF.

Robert
Old 2013-09-20, 10:25am
sunscreen me baby

That certainly makes sense. I read the tip somewhere years ago and after trying it once I loved the silky feeling so kept on doing it. Of course I rarely etch. I prefer to tumble.

~

Old 2013-09-20, 1:01pm

Thank you all for the input, Robert you are saying what is left is residual silica? Thats what i was wondering, what is the white stuff
Is it toxic? Can it come in contact with your skin?
Thanks

Magma Beads .

Old 2013-09-20, 1:06pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandice View Post
I use lots of baking soda in water to neutralize, then soap and a toothbrush to scrub off the residue. Has worked for me for over a decade.
Me too.

Old 2013-09-20, 2:47pm
honorary bead lady

Just because...

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=227416
Old 2013-09-20, 6:11pm

Most of the residue is silica. Read the Glass Bead article referenced at the end of the thread that David had referenced above and it'll all be clear.

Robert
Old 2013-09-20, 8:24pm
Sheila Davis Designs

I just bought some mineral oil and polished some...it took off all the residue and left a satiny finish. I soak mine in washing soda too after etching.

Old 2013-09-21, 1:56am

Thanks guys

So is Silica toxic? i haven't been able to find the right info regarding it.

Magma Beads .

Old 2013-09-21, 5:49am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by houptdavid View Post
Thanks. Since the day I read that thread I have taken all of the etched beads out of my shop until I do some more research myself. I don't want to go back to etching until I am 100% sure that lime neutralizes it completely.
Old 2013-09-21, 7:14am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magma View Post
Thanks guys

So is Silica toxic? i haven't been able to find the right info regarding it.
Silica is not directly toxic. It does, however, cause lung problems if you breath in minute particles of it. It's best to be sure that any residual acid is neutralized and then remove the silica dust from the surface of the bead. If you don't neutralize the acid you will have the white deposits return over time, especially in a humid environment.

Robert
Old 2013-09-21, 5:24pm
offically down under

Regis, Woolies has washing soda in both a powder and crystal form located in the laundry detergent aisle.

Old 2013-09-22, 1:24am
one day at a time

Wow. Am I the only one concerned about this?? Who else has read that thread and is having doubts about the safety of such products?

This kind of reminds me of the attitude of the locals before hurricane Andrew hit. No one was taking it seriously except those who had been through the storms in the '60s. Many people didn't even bother to board up their windows. Then they were surprised when a cat. 5 really shook up their world.

I know we all love the glowing loveliness of etched beads, but safety comes first. If there is enough info out there and it is all giving the same warnings, then I think it is best to pay attention.
Old 2013-09-22, 4:26pm

Thanks Robert and Tammy

Lisi, i think there is a lot of misinformation in that thread, i've been using it for 6 years i think now, very regularly and never had any problems.

I read someone saying that if you get it on you run to the hospital. Well the first few times i used it i got it on my fingers. I rinsed it off like the bottle says and that was that. 6 years later i'm still here and still have my fingers.

I've been using gloves for the last 4 years and never had any problems.

Etched beads are just beautiful, you cannot get the same look by tumbling or blasting. Just wear gloves and don't drink it and you'll be fine.

Magma Beads .

Old 2013-09-23, 2:57pm
offically down under

Diluted etch-all is the only thing I have found will take off the scum on turquoise and copper green. Just a quick dip and a wipe it on a wet sponge and the lovely colors pop.

Old 2013-09-23, 7:59pm
Glass-aholic

Tammy try the cheapest toilet bowl cleaner you can find. It's odd but that does the trick for me when it comes to those colors. it has to be the cheap kind though, idk if the off brand uses a substitute chemical that differs from name brand ones or if it's just different. Which ever, the cheeper it is the better it works....

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2013-09-24, 12:32pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammydownunder View Post
Diluted etch-all is the only thing I have found will take off the scum on turquoise and copper green. Just a quick dip and a wipe it on a wet sponge and the lovely colors pop.
Tammy where do you get etch-all from here?

Old 2013-09-24, 3:11pm
offically down under

Order it from Arrow Springs as you can bring it in in small quantities. The Aussie vendors have to list it and go through hoops to bring it in so they have given up. Make sure that if you order it from AS, that you tell them to put it in the smallest box as possible in order to keep the postage down. I got stung for massive shipping when they did the old put it in a box and then another box trick. I deliberately didn't order glass so I didn't have to have a large box and it came in a box that they use to ship glass in.

Old 2013-09-24, 5:38pm

Thanks Tammy - I bought some while I was at Arrow Springs last time I was there. It'll be good for a while, but was wondering what everyone did (or didn't). They only had a small one at the time.

I hate expensive shipping with a passion

Old 2013-09-26, 3:29pm

You can get it from Bead Glass here in Australia, that's where i'm getting mine from.

http://beadglass.com.au/catalogue/beadglass.htm

Magma Beads .