Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-02-03, 10:44pm

Default Best clear to etch?

I've made some valentine hearts with a clear (104) that I've tried to etch and the result has been less than stellar ... kind of unetched in places and others overetched. I'm using the etching crystals (old stock but etches well generally) that I know etch really well (too well)?

So ... which is the best clear to etch - I want a smooth creamy all over etch. Not a rough bumpy etch! What are your tips?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-07-23, 5:02pm
Angie09

While doing a search to find the best 104 clear to etch, I came across only this one thread that no one answered. It seems to me I've seen somewhere that there is a preferable one but can't remember or find it now. Love to know what works best for you. Thanks!
Old 2012-07-25, 9:00am
Glass-aholic

I always thought that the smooth vs rough etch depended on your etching method.

Cream vs liquid
Acid type and age
Acid vs sandblast

Unless there are a few glasses that don't etch.. I didnt think clears fell into this catagory (in soft glass)

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2012-07-25, 12:22pm
Dix Harrison

And what about tumbling?
Old 2012-07-26, 12:04am

The problem with tumbling is that beads need to be flat smooth and rounded for an even smooth etch. Heart shapes (and other shapes with bumps or raised dots) don't etch in the crevices.

Old 2012-07-26, 2:16am
Cave Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadiesJewels View Post
The problem with tumbling is that beads need to be flat smooth and rounded for an even smooth etch. Heart shapes (and other shapes with bumps or raised dots) don't etch in the crevices.
Your solution might be too strong.

A much weaker solution with a longer soak time could possibly help.

Old 2012-07-26, 2:16am

I know Bullseye are harder to etch then Effetre glass. But I don't know if it make much difference which brand of clear is better.

I usually just lengthen the time glass in the etching solution or etch again if it looks patchy. Also, different transparent colour needs different etching time. I etched a few beads recently and I remember I had to re-do aqua and light green while amethyst was fine.

Old 2012-07-26, 3:37pm
Melts glass~makes jewelry

Absolutely right on the transparents. Opaques etch great in the normal 3-4 minutes but some transparents wont etch at all!