LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-07-07, 3:48pm

Question Tell me your favorite BEAD RELEASE (suggestions for soft and boro)

Please tell me your favorite bead release and why. I'm looking for suggestions for soft glass and for boro work too.

THANK YOU!
Old 2012-07-07, 4:01pm
I'm meeeeelting

My favorite for most of my soft glass endeavors is dip-n-go sludge. Beads come off easily but it has good hold. For things that will involve a lot of heating and cooling, I like fusion mixed with a little foster fire. I find with a lot of heat and cool cyclesthe bead sometimes comes loose of the dip-n-go (the bead release isn't broken but the bead is moving).

Foot Pedal Tutorial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-07-07, 4:08pm

Fusion for both.
1. It's never failed me and it gets humid here. Some don't hold up too well to that.
2. Flame dry or air dry. I've used mandrels that have been dipped for a year (at least) and it's fine.
3. Mandrel clean-up. I just lightly rub the mandrels together in a bucket of water to get whatever release remains after taking the beads off. No more scrubbing, ever.
There are a few downsides that I haven't found to be such a problem that I'd switch.
1. Sometimes it can be hard to remove the bead from the mandrel, especially those that have been formed with gravity away fromthe original footprint. Not always though.
2. Fusion really makes BeadReamers wear out quickly.

Also I occasionally use Foster Fire Smooth n Tuff for some things, cabs, buttons and the like.

Old 2012-07-07, 4:42pm
"Sinners have soul too"

50/50 mix of Fusion and Alice's or Foster Fire.
Holds tight, releases easy. I use it for my own bead making and for the workshops.

Old 2012-07-07, 10:48pm

Thank you very much for the input, very helpful.
Old 2012-07-08, 1:10am

I like the Fusion and Foster Fire 50/50 mix too. But I love Reenie's Mama G's. Hope she can start selling it again at some point.

Old 2012-07-08, 3:06am
what's a senior moment ?

Bucket of Mud - hands down works GREAT for both soft and hard glass.
Holds like cement.
Cleans out of the bead great.
Sometimes hard to remove the bead so have your vise grips handy. No biggie.
Uses tap water to thin if needed.
Takes lots of torture.
I've dipped mandrels in January and they're still perfectly fine to use 6 plus months later.
Flame or air dry with no problem.

Old 2012-07-08, 3:20am
Resident hippie

BoM for me too though I don't use boro.

Have FUN!!!!! It's not about perfection..... Leslie - [not so] Crazy Woman

Old 2012-07-08, 4:52am
sunscreen me baby

I used to love Bucket of Mud. But then the supply became unpredictable so I switched to fusion after trying it at a friends. Love it more. I use it for both boro and soft.

Rebecca gave you all the info on why I love it and the only drawback I know of.

~

Old 2012-07-08, 5:55am
Hobby Junkie

Fusion. I have Alice's but haven't tried it yet.

Old 2012-07-08, 7:06am
SCIENCE Teacher!

FosterFire! I made it back when there weren't so many choices, about 11-12 years ago. Then my sister who also makes beads wanted some. Then she bragged to our bead group and I started passing it out in pickle jars (Vlassic Kosher Deli Dill actually). You can guess the rest.

I will have samples at the Gathering. In fact, Amy the owner/creator of Zoozii's presses will be having goody bags for the first 250 purchases which will include FosterFire samples.

My advice is to try as many as you can. Some people love my releases, some don't. My recommendation for those who don't is Fusion, available at Frantz. The 3 main types of release are clay based (mine, Bucket of Mud, Howaco's, Kragg Mudd), clay/graphite mixes (Sludge series from Arrow Springs) and Fusion. Ask your friends to bring some to your next bead meeting and try a bunch of them.
Old 2012-07-08, 2:38pm
Lampworkaholic!

ABR bead release is the best bead release I have found. I also like Arrow Springs Sludge, the Blue Sludge is perfect for Boro. I used to mix Blue Sludge and Krag Mudd for soft glass.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-07-08, 2:43pm

Soft glass here - Fusion or a Foster Fire/Fusion mix are great, and Mama G's is great.

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2012-07-08, 5:25pm

Sludge for me, preferably blue. Classic only, don't like the dip 'n go... Soft glass.
Old 2012-07-08, 9:24pm
Formerly "HillyBeads"

I love Foster Fire Smooth and Tuff. It holds through all the tugging and pulling I can dish out, and then the beads come off the mandrels easy. With the release I was using before I switched, I had to use vice grips and do a lot of work to get the beads off the mandrels. I only use soft glass.

Old 2012-07-08, 10:53pm
Angel's Mom

I LOVE Mama GS. It holds when you want it to, and comes off when you want it to. Like freakin magic. And it smooth...comes out of the hole pretty easily.

Life is short. Melt glass!
Old 2012-07-09, 5:21am

Thanks so much everyone -great info!
Old 2012-07-09, 7:18am
randomly active member

Fusion. That stuff is like the energizer bunny. It just keeps going.

I took a 2 year break from lampworking after my second child. When I started back up I just grabbed those mandrels I had dipped over 2 years earlier and used them (cause I was too lazy to clean them and re-dip them). Worked perfect.

During that 2 year hiatus my bead release pretty much dried up too. Just added a bunch of water to it and swooshed it around with some vigor and good as new again. Love it.
.:.

Old 2012-07-09, 12:44pm
Artistically Absorbed

I use a mix of 50/50 Super Blue Sludge and Foster Fire. I use it for both soft and boro. It is incredibly tough (it takes a beating) and very smooth so it can be a thin application and get the job done.
-Echo

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64