Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-03-17, 6:16am
Authentic WI Cheesehead

Default Etching Solution

Hi Gang!

Anyone have a good source for etching solution?

Thanks a bunch!
Old 2013-03-17, 6:28am
I ate a big red candle!

I really like the etching crystals from Arrow Springs. I won't ever go back to the etching cream from Michaels

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My fledgling etsy shop

Old 2013-03-17, 6:31am
Authentic WI Cheesehead

Thanks Heather for your post!

Never heard or tried the crystals...good idea tho - wouldn't dry out or get too thick.
Old 2013-03-17, 7:39am
honorary bead lady

Just please read this thread...

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=227416
Old 2013-03-17, 8:01am
hyperT

Hydrofluoric Acid, a weak solution will etch glass and YOU. Do not breath fumes! A strong solution will polish glass and destroy your health or kill you eventually. HF also has an bad habit of penetrating your skin then spreading out underneath your skin. Needless to say it is difficult to flush out.

Ammonium bifluride will give an etched appearance. It doesn't actually etch the glass but adheres to it so hard it wont come off. It leaves a crystaline like surface on the glass.

My advice safety wise is get a rock tumbler and use play sand or grinding compounds and water. The sand for a coarser etch the compounds for a satin etch.
You can get a cheap one at Hobby Lobby about 35 bucks.

Be safe not sorry.

Last edited by hyperT; 2013-03-17 at 8:12am.
Old 2013-03-17, 8:45am
addicted to dichro

Etching solutions should definitely be used with caution but if you want to avoid scary chemicals you better not be using 99% of the products they sell at Walmart or anywhere else. Most of us use horrid chemicals to clean our selves, clothes and homes daily.

Old 2013-03-17, 9:11am
Authentic WI Cheesehead

Wouldn't mind giving the tumbling a try - what kind of grinding compound to give the "satin etch" look?

Thanks!
Old 2013-03-17, 6:07pm
hyperT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail Kops View Post
Wouldn't mind giving the tumbling a try - what kind of grinding compound to give the "satin etch" look?

Thanks!
The higher the number of the grade the finer the compound is. In other words 1200 is finer then 800. Anything above 800 will give you a more satin etch. Check around for some local rock shops or lapidary shops they can advise you and show you samples and they have the compounds.
Old 2013-03-22, 5:44am
Echo's Mother

See the March 2013 of the Soda Lime Times.
Old 2013-03-22, 8:56am

A few shops on etsy and ebay sell media often in different grades.
I find it helpful to have seperate barrels or drums for each grit and a colandar to help screan out what i'm tumbling.
The media can cause lung problems over time so avoid breathing the dust by useing a mask and ventalation wet tumbling will also help to control dust, if your setup/media lets you.
I use walnut for a lot of my metal work so wet tumbling is not an option.

Old 2013-03-27, 7:54am
SCIENCE Teacher!

Ditto on the rock tumbler.
Old 2013-04-02, 1:38am
Authentic WI Cheesehead

Went to buy the silicon carbide 1000 grit from Kingsley, but they are out of stock. Wrote them, but never got a response.

Wanted to share this link with those of you looking for some. I ordered some of this yesterday and I didn't think the price was bad at all.

http://www.panadyneabrasives.com/Sil...&categoryId=-1

They have black and green. The article said that the green was a higher quality so ordered that - hope it works the same.

Thanks all for your kind help!

P.S. Their customer service, Meredith Regul, went out of her way to process the order (special shipping instructions). She rocks!
Old 2013-04-05, 8:02pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

I ordered 1000 aluminum oxide from Rockshed.com. Last time I checked, ABR Imagery and Frantz have the liquid etching solution just in case you don't have time for the beads to tumble.

Patsy

Ebay:
Old 2013-04-07, 3:29am

Tumbling is best for smooth rounded beads, but if your beads have bumps or knobbles they would need to be etched chemically (or sandblasted if you have the equipment)... In the past I've found the Arrow Springs Crystals to be the best etching chemical.

Old 2013-04-07, 4:20am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyjw View Post
Etching solutions should definitely be used with caution but if you want to avoid scary chemicals you better not be using 99% of the products they sell at Walmart or anywhere else. Most of us use horrid chemicals to clean our selves, clothes and homes daily.
I doubt there's few as nasty as HFA

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy