No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-07-09, 10:03am
Will work for glass...

Default Boro or soft? Please respond

Hi, my friend requested that I make her a "doughnut bead" (large disk shaped bead) for her daughter to use as a "teething necklace" for a baby. Apparently this is a popular idea since babies are often pulling at their moms' necklaces and putting them in their mouths, the glass doughnut is safe for teething and more attractive than wearing a clip-on teether. I've never heard of this but I figured it would be best to use boro since my impression is that boro is more stable and less likely to break.

Well, needless to say my boro skills are pretty limited! I am far more skilled with soft glass and the result would be much more aesthetically pleasing if I use soft glass.

What do you think? The last thing I would want is for my glass to break in a baby's mouth!

Opinions?

Thanks, Alison
Old 2012-07-09, 10:06am
Oh my!

I think the last thing I would put in a baby's mouth is a glass anything. Just my opinion.
Old 2012-07-09, 10:08am
GlassDocNC

Whatever you make, make it REALLY BIG so there is no choking hazard.

(I don't think I'd undertake this particular project myself.)

Take life with a grain of salt.....a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila.
Old 2012-07-09, 10:39am

Keep in mind that the other thing babies like to do best with things like that is bash them on other things - tables, ground, heads.... if a bead should chip or crack, it would be a disaster waiting to happen. And you will get the blame.

(If I were going to do something like this, which I wouldn't, I would use clear boro. No sense adding all sorts of lovely things like cadmium and copper and such to the other hazards.)
Old 2012-07-09, 12:41pm
The Andrea Half

t sounds like a lovely, eco-friendly idea. However, I would definitely add my voice to the "DO NOT do this" chorus. Big companies may have liability coverage that you do not, and a minuscule flaw in the teething bead could mean personal and emotional disaster for your friend, her baby, and for you.

If you do go ahead with the project, I would definitely go with clear boro, large enough that the baby cannot swallow it even if it gets off its chain or ring, and have your bead tested for stress before you give it to your friend. And, friend or not, I would consider having her sign a legal waiver acknowledging the potential hazards and clearing you from any liability.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-07-09, 1:23pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourTailsLampwork View Post
t sounds like a lovely, eco-friendly idea. However, I would definitely add my voice to the "DO NOT do this" chorus. Big companies may have liability coverage that you do not, and a minuscule flaw in the teething bead could mean personal and emotional disaster for your friend, her baby, and for you.

If you do go ahead with the project, I would definitely go with clear boro, large enough that the baby cannot swallow it even if it gets off its chain or ring, and have your bead tested for stress before you give it to your friend. And, friend or not, I would consider having her sign a legal waiver acknowledging the potential hazards and clearing you from any liability.
This.

Oh and, I would just mention as an old fuddy duddy who raised two kids 18 months apart there is no freakin' way I would ever put glass in a baby's mouth. Not only this, pacifiers are made of rubber that gives for a reason. You might ask her friend if she's considered what glass will do to the baby's developing teeth. Just a thought.

Yeesh. I'm sorry but my kids always came first. If they're trying to eat the necklace then either constantly take it away from them or....um....table the fashion for a year or two in favor of actually keeping the child safe.

To me that's a no brainer but I'm sure it makes me unpopular as Hell with new moms. Whatever. Children should come before fashion.

Old 2012-07-09, 1:45pm

Personally, there's no way I would do that out of any glass. No way!

Karin said babies like to bash on things. I've been bashed in the nose by my own babies. Of course they didn't mean it, but it stings. Now imagine a big glass ring in the babies fist, bashing mom in the mouth or nose. Or they miss mom and bash themselves in the mouth or the nose.
I don't see pleasant things from this idea.

Old 2012-07-09, 1:47pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

Nope. I wouldn't do it.
Old 2012-07-09, 4:39pm
Naysayer

Yeah, no. Also are you talking about on a BHB mandrel right? The edges are never really totally smooth, you know what I mean? The 'hole' of the donut.

You could do it off mandrel so it's smooth, but that's just still scary, sometimes the most stable pieces can mysteriously break.
Old 2012-07-09, 4:47pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Adding my voice to the others. I would never give a baby something
glass to chew on. Even boro. It may be strong enough to stand up to
chewing, but I've never met the kid that didn't slam the crap out of
their chewies. Even if they were on mom's neck.

I would politely decline.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2012-07-09, 6:27pm
Wow. Just Wow.

I say No, no, no.
Old 2012-07-09, 6:38pm

Cool concept but not a safe one. I would not so this.

"Whether you believe that you can or believe that you can't, you're probably right." Henry Ford
Old 2012-07-10, 4:10am
Run Free Sweet Boy

oh hell no.... no glass and babies.. its common sense,, and the liability would be insane. nope wouldnt touch that one with a 10 ft pole

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2012-07-10, 5:42am
Ready to hit the road

I've got to say, it may be a popular thing, but it's also a stupid thing. I just can't fathom giving a glass object to a baby to put in his/her mouth.

Old 2012-07-10, 5:53am
Who me?

I vote for the no glass teething rings. My friends daughter makes these wonderful safe natural teething rings that seem to be all the rage right now.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/BrightLifeT...on_id=10949393
Old 2012-07-11, 7:16pm
Living out Loud

I am a licensed social worker and this is the XXXXXXXX ##### that I have ever heard of in my life. This is how children end up in the ER or worse with injuries that defy the imagination. If you do make it I hope that Children's Protective Services finds out and locks your ass up. I cannot imagine anyone with half of a brain even thinking that this is something to give to a teething child. First of all as everyone has said glass breaks. In addition to breaking the glass that we use has additives in it that would certainly leech into the child's system. The parent is not thinking clearly, teething is normal, put up with it or don't have children. If I sound angry, guess what I am.

The good thing is that at least you did ask for some information and I hope that we have made it clear that this is something that no one should do to an innocent child.

Last edited by lampworker1; 2012-07-11 at 7:28pm. Reason: spelling
Old 2012-07-11, 7:25pm
Hobby Junkie

I'd say no to the glass!!!! Someone gave me a rubber teething necklace when I had Bean. It was a green rubber disc (that looks like jade) on a cord. Bean refused to chew it.

Old 2012-07-11, 7:33pm

Wow! Can't believe anyone would even consider giving a glass teething ring to an infant. Maybe let him play with some razor blades next....

Angela Kane

-One of a kind boro frit blends!
Old 2012-07-12, 4:16am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by lampworker1 View Post
I am a licensed social worker and this is the XXXXXXXX ##### that I have ever heard of in my life. This is how children end up in the ER or worse with injuries that defy the imagination. If you do make it I hope that Children's Protective Services finds out and locks your ass up. I cannot imagine anyone with half of a brain even thinking that this is something to give to a teething child. First of all as everyone has said glass breaks. In addition to breaking the glass that we use has additives in it that would certainly leech into the child's system. The parent is not thinking clearly, teething is normal, put up with it or don't have children. If I sound angry, guess what I am.

The good thing is that at least you did ask for some information and I hope that we have made it clear that this is something that no one should do to an innocent child.
What she said.

Old 2012-07-12, 4:38am

might as well wash the childs hair with battery acid too.
Old 2012-07-12, 5:41am

Whoa! Quit being so nasty. She was uncomfortable about it, she asked, and she got an answer. She agreed with it. It's all good.

Facebook:

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:
Old 2012-07-13, 1:27am

If the child does sprout a tooth, he or she could break the tooth on the glass. I though that was why they made them rubbery to begin with. What is this mom thinking? Oh dear, have you had enough of all the "no-no-nos" yet? =)

Old 2012-07-13, 5:32am
Ready to hit the road

It just boggles my mind that it's a 'popular' thing, so that means more than one mom has done it or thought about it.

Old 2012-07-13, 5:33am

lol @ the OP hasn't even posted back yet.
Old 2012-07-13, 6:13am
~ a.k.a. Sharlee22 ~

I have a 14 months old daughter.... and I would NEVER EVER put anything in glass in her mouth!
That is a very bad idea....

Old 2012-07-13, 8:54am
Fire Monkey

Teething rings used to be made of glass, silver, coral and other hard materials so it's not really an unusual request.
I'm kind of surprised at the tone of some of the responses. I'm not surprised the OP didn't come back to her thread. I'm not sure I would either.

Old 2012-07-13, 10:37am

No I would not make a glass teething ring.
Old 2012-07-13, 5:24pm
Ready to hit the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly View Post
Teething rings used to be made of glass, silver, coral and other hard materials so it's not really an unusual request.
They also used to make water pipes out of lead.

Old 2012-07-13, 7:17pm
Fire Monkey

I'm hardly advocating for glass teething rings. I'm just saying they aren't unusual. They still make the rings from glass, sterling, mother of pearl and other hard materials. I'd rather use a natural material than plastic because they keep finding harmful stuff in plastics made for babies. Luckily, my kid is old enough not to need that kind of thing
It's nothing to be mean about, especially to someone asking for opinions.

Last edited by Holly; 2012-07-13 at 7:30pm.
Old 2012-07-13, 10:24pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by betsymn View Post
They also used to make water pipes out of lead.
they still do

i wouldnt do it, there's not need to bash the OP though, she's just asking

i think these are really unsafe and every time i see them i cringe

http://www.etsy.com/listing/81342801...facet=pacifier

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy