Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-12-02, 2:55pm

Default Magnetic tool bar

Is there a magnetic tool bar that will attach via magnet to a hood AND hold tools as well? In other words a dual sided magnetic tool bar, I don't really want to drill holes in my hood. Or is that even possible?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-12-02, 3:18pm
a pox upon an idiot :..

I have the ones you use for holding knives, they work pretty well. Make sure you don't get them near your digital controller if you have one on your kiln!
Old 2008-12-02, 3:22pm

I have something like this http://www.toolking.com/grip-on-tools_67444.aspx
that I got at a local tool warehouse place. It sticks to my hood fine but it's a tray and not a strip.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-12-02, 5:53pm

You could get a regular magnetic tool holding strip and glue a couple of rare earth magnets to the back. That would hold it pretty well on your hood. Screws would work better if you are going to hang heavy stuff on it, but the RE magnets wold work for a lot of stuff.

Robert
Old 2008-12-02, 6:05pm

Check Harbor Freight thats where I got mine .
Janet
Old 2008-12-02, 6:10pm

I bought a dozen 1" rare earth pot magnets that I got cheap. I have them stuck to a metal cabinet next to me and I hang a lot of tools from them. No holes, no drama and they carry a heap of weight! Pot magnets have a hole in the middle so if you really want to, you can also put a hook in the hole to hang non-iron tools from them as well.

Cheers
Kym
Old 2008-12-02, 6:12pm
Calendar Girl

I got mine from IKEA. And I drilled holes in the hood. Wasn't too difficult, you just need the right kind of drill bit.

Old 2008-12-03, 9:23pm

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I appreciate it!

Old 2008-12-04, 12:19am

Hello,

You can get them at Sears in the tool department, I also have one that is made for Lowe's by Kolbal Tools http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...-KB&lpage=none

I have found that the one from Lowe's hold heavier tools good.

Robin

Old 2008-12-04, 2:16am
Calendar Girl

Here's the ones I got:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00136621

As you can see from my photo, they are quite strong.

Old 2008-12-04, 4:57am
boro color bender

If you use rare earth magnets on your tools, you can actually magnetize your tools. Sounds weird, but i had some powerful magnets Abe from NS gave me when I was out there. I put them in my box of tools to travel home and we were playing with them on my work station. Lets just say that a magnetized pair of tweezers don't always come up alone when you grab them off the table... sometimes they bring a dental pick friend or a little buddy named Peter Tweezers.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2008-12-04, 5:32am

DUCT TAPE!!!

I bought 2 of the magnetic "guy" tool strips and duct taped them to the upright legs to my ventillation unit. My "unit" is legs I had brazed to a stove ventillation hood and bolted to the table. Works very nice!

A girl with duct tape, WD40 and bungee cords can't go wrong in this world.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2008-12-04, 5:37am
Detail G-Mama!

Here is a table top version that Al Janelle uses and sells from Blue Moon

Old 2008-12-04, 7:18am
Cherine Perrin Glass

This is what I use, it's much bigger than the photo shows. I love it because it sticks to the hood really really well.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=98081

My Etsy shop: https://
face="Verdana">Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/CherinePerrinLampwork/
Old 2008-12-04, 1:10pm
Formerly Deesigned Beads

Lol Mr Smiley, you seem to have a lot of friendly tools hankging about your workspace!

Old 2008-12-04, 10:35pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue in Maine View Post
DUCT TAPE!!!

I bought 2 of the magnetic "guy" tool strips and duct taped them to the upright legs to my ventillation unit. My "unit" is legs I had brazed to a stove ventillation hood and bolted to the table. Works very nice!

A girl with duct tape, WD40 and bungee cords can't go wrong in this world.

Sue
LOL! All of you come up with many answers and solutions quickly. I go to the hardware or mechanic shop and they look at me like I am growing feet from my nose!

Old 2008-12-10, 5:24pm

I have a magnetic knife bar laying on my bench, not attached to anything. It holds the tools I use most with their handles toward me, and the ones I use rarely with their handles pointed away. This way they don't interfere with each other, I get twice as many tools on the bar, and they stay in one area of the bench out of my way.

Of course, with Smiley's trick, they would stay in one area of the bench all by themselves!!

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2008-12-11, 5:05am
offically down under

For the life of me I can't remember who made it, but it was a handy dipped mandrel holder on a lazy susan. It was such a simple design. The attached a box to a base. They put rice in the box to hold the dipped mandrels. On the outside of the box, on all four sides, were magnetic strips which held the tools. On the bottom, where the box was attached, was a tray for little bits. It looked so convenient -especially on the lazy susan.