Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-02-18, 8:59am

Default Help with Luna and Aion

Hi you wonderfully intelligent, supremely helpful people! I was wondering if anyone could give me a bit of help with Luna and Aion Double Helix glass. I am working on a HH with bulk propane and no matter what I do I cant get any results out of them. Please treat me like the newbie that I am and explain all of the details to me. I have read the instructions of work hot cool and reheat, but nothing seems to happen (perhaps I missed the "do the hokey pokey, and turn yourself around" bit). Thanks in advance!!!!

Joanne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 20% off for LE members!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[size="3"]Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday. - Dale Carnegie
Old 2009-02-18, 9:46am
Likes to melt stuff...

One thing that helps with aion is to put it over a dark color - I find that blues especially make it pop. It also does some lovely things over psyche when reduced.

The problem with a HH and some of the DH glasses is that while you can deny your flame of oxygen, you can't increase it's presence effectively. I find that the ability to play with the oxygen levels is key in making Luna sing.
Old 2009-02-18, 11:16am
Lampworkaholic!

Try Aion over darm amethyst or dark topaz transparents. Cover the air holes in the HH woth an oven mitt and you should be able to reduce - just bathe the bead in the propane rich flame for a second or two.

Striking Luna 2 will be a challenge on a HH. It's tricky enough on a mixed fuel torch.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-02-18, 2:36pm
da General

Joanne,

You have gotten some great suggestion on using Aion over a dark transparent base. Here is what I wrote up for the Third Silver Exchange that may be of interest to you:
--------------------------

• wind a football (American football! lol!) shape of Medium (or Dark) Amethyst
• completely encase Amethyst core with Aion 2
• let bead cool until the glow is gone, start warm up your clear (I use Diamond Clear
• reduce Aion 2 in a reduction flame (my yellow candles are about 2" and my bead is another inch or so above the tip of the yellow candles)
• let cool and reduce again
• go back to a neutral flame, keeping the bead warm by flashing it at the tip of the flame quickly in and out without "erasing" the reduction, melt Clear
• encase completely in Clear by keeping the bead beneath the flame as not to erase the reduction
• shape bead and press
• flame polish out chill marks
• pop in kiln (don't look at your bead too long or it will crack like mine down the mandrel line! lol!)

----------------------

Steph Bonniwell and I did a tutorial on Striking Silver Glass using Luna 2, the link is on my siggy line. Unfortunately it's a lot more difficult to strike silver glass using a HH for it is usually not hot enough to get the glass white hot/droopy.

Also, do you have Luna which is milky translucent in rod form or Luna 2 which is creamy translucent? Luna 2 is a lot easier to strike than the original Luna.

Hope this helps!

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-02-18, 2:48pm

Hayley, thanks so much for the help! I will give it a try as soon as the children go to bed tonight, and i will post you the bead(s). And as for which Luna i have... hmm... will have to go study the rods...

Thanks everyone for your help! I really appreciate it!

Joanne

[size="3"]Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday. - Dale Carnegie
Old 2009-02-18, 4:10pm

Good luck!! I can't wait to see your results.
Old 2009-02-26, 12:23am

sorry about the silence... i have tried and tried, and i got a tiny bit of reaction from the aion, and absolutely non from luna. I am thinking that my torch (hh on bulk propane) is not getting hot enough. So... i will hold onto the glass and will try again when i have upgraded my torch.

I just wanted to say thank you again to everyone that took the time to type to me. This site is fab and i love the fact that everyone helps each other out. So, thanks!

Old 2009-02-26, 10:29am
Likes to melt stuff...

Upgrading your torch will make all the reactive glasses so much fun to play with!

In the meantime, one glass that I have had pretty good success in getting a reaction on a HH is DH's Triton. Hopefully that will give you something fun to play with until then.
Old 2009-02-26, 3:39pm

Deirdre - i will be upgrading my torch as soon as i can convince DH I have just ordered a kiln this month, so i may have to wait until next month for that! Thanks for the tip on Triton, i will get my hands on some and give it a whirl!

Tags
aion, luna