Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Website help and critique

Website help and critique -- Get assistance with your website.

Old 2010-09-10, 12:13pm
Marbles, dude, Marbles

Default Ownership of domain name - questions

I want a website to sell my stuff. I want to own my domain name, but it seems like a lot of web hosts wind up owning it a let you use it for as long as you want, until you want to switch web hosts. Could someone be so kind as to write a good explanation, with pros and cons of 'what the real story is' on this topic?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-09-10, 12:24pm
Uh Oh....

This is new news to me. If you buy a domain name, it's yours for the given period of time that you paid for it. You just have to buy your name from an accredited registrar, which can be found here: http://www.icann.org/en/registrars/accredited-list.html

Most of these registrars have an interface that will let you forward your domain name to any webhosting service or IP address. If you are trying to use a webhosting service that only "rents" the name, I probably wouldn't use them. They are trying to lock you into using their webhosting service and I find that kind of scammy. What they are doing is buying the name, which is included in the fees you pay them and I bet you when you're done using the name, they release it to go back into the pool of unused names. Don't confuse buying a domain name with webhosting services. They are two different things.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mewkittie; 2010-09-10 at 12:27pm.
Old 2010-09-10, 5:32pm
Marbles, dude, Marbles

Woow! Your response is incredably helpful. Greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 2010-09-10, 8:09pm
Glassmangler

For what it's worth, you own the domain with GoDaddy (who I use for domain registration, not hosting).
Old 2010-09-10, 8:57pm

I use Omnis.com and they are pretty cheap for a domain name. There is a company out of France that is really, really cheap but for the life of me I can't remember what it was.
You pay for it for a year, two, three..etc
You can take it with you if you change hosts!

Old 2010-09-10, 9:09pm
ManBearPig

Your domain name is yours. Hosting companies register it for you, but you are the owner.

Old 2010-09-10, 10:04pm
Uh Oh....

You're welcome!! I also use GoDaddy. They are an accredited domain name registrar. They also do webhosting and even if you use their webhosting service for a while, then want to change to another, you still own the domain name as long as for the years you've paid for it.

Old 2010-09-11, 4:49am
Unmedicated since '62

yep, i own mine - pay for it every three years

just a tip - owning your own domain is actually really useful, it means no matter what hosting service you have (and you can change it endlessly), you always have the same email address

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2010-09-11, 4:43pm

I buy all my domains from G0 Daddy and my husband hosts them on his server. you just pay a server to host for you.
Geneva
Old 2010-09-12, 8:04pm
OBA-Official Bead Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewkittie View Post
You're welcome!! I also use GoDaddy. They are an accredited domain name registrar. They also do webhosting and even if you use their webhosting service for a while, then want to change to another, you still own the domain name as long as for the years you've paid for it.

What she said....exactly!

Janet

Old 2010-09-13, 8:01pm

First, let's set one thing straight ...

One does not *own* a domain name. You license the right to exclusive use of it for a period of time. If, at the end of that time, you do not renew the license (ie: pay for it again), the domain name becomes available for anyone else to license.

You register a domain with a Registrar. There are many registrars out there ... shop around for price and services. Some registrars also offer additional services: hosting, email accounts, etc. We'll get into that later.

Once you have a domain registered, you can use it or not. You don't have to use it .. you can register a name now with the intent of using it several years from now. Only one person can register any single name, so if there is a name that you want, and it is available, register it now. It costs maybe $15 a year to register a name. I have over 20 names registered. For me, that's a small price to pay to have the names I want available for use later, when I want them.

You can also sell the rights to a name to someone else. If I registered the domain MyGlassBeads.com, and you wanted it, I could sell you the rights to it. The price to do this is whatever you and I both agree upon. People go out and 'buy up' domain names, and try to 'sell' them all the time. A popular domain name can sell for thousands, tens of thousands, even hundreds of thousands of dollars (or more!). After I sell you the rights to a domain, you still need to go to a registrar and register it (and pay the registrar their fee).

You host a web site on a Host. A host and a registrar are not the same, although there are many companies that do both. You do *not* have to host your site through the same company through whom you have registered your domains. To use a different host, all it takes is a one-time change of the settings, with your host and/or your registrar, so that the world knows where to find your site. Both your host and your registrar can assist you with this. If you want to move your site to a different host, you can. Just change the settings once again.

Now, for the OP. Some hosting companies offer, as a "service", the option of registering the domain name through them. As others have already mentioned, be careful. Make sure that you are the registered "owner" of the name, and not your hosting company.

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2010-09-14, 12:55am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtcoInc View Post

One does not *own* a domain name. You license the right to exclusive use of it for a period of time. If, at the end of that time, you do not renew the license (ie: pay for it again), the domain name becomes available for anyone else to license.
yes, you are correct - as long as you pay for it its yours

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2010-09-14, 5:52am
ManBearPig

Quote:

You register a domain with a Registrar. There are many registrars out there ... shop around for price and services. Some registrars also offer additional services: hosting, email accounts, etc. We'll get into that later.

Once you have a domain registered, you can use it or not. You don't have to use it .. you can register a name now with the intent of using it several years from now. Only one person can register any single name, so if there is a name that you want, and it is available, register it now. It costs maybe $15 a year to register a name. I have over 20 names registered. For me, that's a small price to pay to have the names I want available for use later, when I want them.

You can also sell the rights to a name to someone else. If I registered the domain MyGlassBeads.com, and you wanted it, I could sell you the rights to it. The price to do this is whatever you and I both agree upon. People go out and 'buy up' domain names, and try to 'sell' them all the time. A popular domain name can sell for thousands, tens of thousands, even hundreds of thousands of dollars (or more!). After I sell you the rights to a domain, you still need to go to a registrar and register it (and pay the registrar their fee).

You host a web site on a Host. A host and a registrar are not the same, although there are many companies that do both. You do *not* have to host your site through the same company through whom you have registered your domains. To use a different host, all it takes is a one-time change of the settings, with your host and/or your registrar, so that the world knows where to find your site. Both your host and your registrar can assist you with this. If you want to move your site to a different host, you can. Just change the settings once again.

Now, for the OP. Some hosting companies offer, as a "service", the option of registering the domain name through them. As others have already mentioned, be careful. Make sure that you are the registered "owner" of the name, and not your hosting company.

Malcolm
True, you don't technically "own" it. But for the purposes of this thread, to say that you own it was the best way to get the point across...

Old 2010-09-17, 8:20am
Marbles, dude, Marbles

I want to thank you all for your input. Last night I signed up with godaddy.com, and this weekend I will begin 'building my website'. Eventually my stuff should be visible and available on www.stonepillowglass.com

Old 2010-09-17, 9:17am

Cool name btw, is there a story behind it ?

Good thread too, I'm setting up my website right now and I'm thinking of setting up several iterations of the name and redirecting them all to my site.
Current flamethrowers: Redmax, a Mini CC, and a fancy Benelli Cordoba skeet gun.
Old 2010-09-17, 10:05am

Quote:
Originally Posted by crofootadv View Post
I'm setting up my website right now and I'm thinking of setting up several iterations of the name and redirecting them all to my site.
Wise move.

My primary domain is artcoinc.com. I often type it in mixed case: ArtcoInc.com. But, if where I'm printing it uses a sanserif font, the upper case i looks like a lower case L. So, I also registered artcoLnc.com, and have it redirected back to artcoinc.com.

I will also register the .net and the .org names too.

I believe that even if the user makes a mistake typing in the URL, I still want them to find me.

Malcolm

Email:

Old 2010-09-18, 7:21am

Malcolm is dead on ... another thing is that other companies, like network solutions, will take orders on a already taken domain so if your late on getting the renewal done ... you'll lose it ... it always pays to know when you need to renew because it might be 4 people deep just waiting to grab up that name.
Old 2010-09-20, 3:22pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Also there is usually a 30 day grace period after domain name license has technically "expired"... But don't count on it....

My hosting service for my dune buggy website notifies me in advance (30-60 days) of any renewals for domain name fees or hosting fees.... Any good hosting service may also do this....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2010-09-20, 5:51pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
My hosting service for my dune buggy website ...
Dune buggy website ????

Malcolm

Email:

Old 2010-09-22, 6:23pm
Marbles, dude, Marbles

Default where I got my name

[quote=crofootadv;3206923]Cool name btw, is there a story behind it ?

Not a very exciting story behind the name - stonepillowglass - but here it is:
Several years ago a name for a rock band popped into my head. I'm not in a band, don't play an instrument etc, etc. but a name popped in anyways. The name was 'Steel Pillow'. So now I want a website for my glass and I'm thinking - steelpillowglass... , but then I'm thinking that steel doesn't go with glass very well (yeah, yeah I know-I've been walking past steel and glass buildings most of my life) so I thought - stone - ah ha, that's it - stone pillow; in my mind 'stone pillow' feels a little bit softer than 'steel pillow'. (Now I'm thinking that the 'o' sound in stone is softer sounding than the 'ee' in steel.)

Old 2010-10-07, 1:34pm
Redheaded Thread Killer

I also use GoDaddy to register, but have it hosted by another company. Someone else mentioned getting the other three main top level extensions. I did the same and got .net/.com/.org that way no matter which one they typed out, it was mine. Just redirect all the other versions back to your main hosted site. If you register multiple domains sometimes you also get a pricebreak, so if you plan to register - decide what you want and do it all at once.

Currently... torch is cold. Not sure when I'll be making glass again. Hothead and Lynx user.
Nothing on
Old 2010-10-10, 4:05pm
Favorite color is shiny

Quote:
Dune buggy website ????

Malcolm
Again.....Dune Buggy website?????

I'm back after a long time with a cold torch. Torch Lit.... Life is goooood.....now!

---> LE