Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2008-08-29, 1:15pm

Default sombody help me out please :D

ok so i know i saw a thread showing static pressure for ducting and the max cfm that can be pulled through them?? wered it go iv tryed seraching
Old 2008-08-29, 1:53pm
No Problem!

You could check out the links at the top of this page for information on calculating static pressure, velocity etc...
http://mikeaurelius.wordpress.com/ventilation-primer/
Just start by calculating the area of the opening that your hood has. Then roughly figure that you want to choose a fan/blower that moves 125 cfm per sq ft of that number.

Example..
If your hood opening is 2ft x 4ft then you would require a fan that moves 1000cfm. If you have a long run of ducting with bends then you would likely require additional CFM.
The diameter of the ducting, number of bends and the total duct length from hood to exaust all will affect the performance. The longer the duct and greater number of bends will equal more static pressure.
Most fans/blowers will have CFM ratings based on a given static pressure in the specifications. If these aren't listed be careful.
For example often a fan will be rated at say "650 CFM" If it doesn't say otherwise, this is referring to "free air" as in zero static pressure. This rating will go down when the fan is actually connected to a system.
Centrifugal blowers are a good choice because the efficiency doesn't diminish as greatly with increased static pressure in comparison to axial fans.
Good luck! Take your time and choose the right fan for the job without choosing one that's overkill.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Beau & Shani)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-08-29, 3:00pm

well i have just ordered my fan im guessing its overkill abit but hey im upgrading torches one day lol its the http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1TDU2 its coming here in 2 days
thanks for the link