No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-11-05, 10:15am
Forever P~P~P :0)

Default Sculptural work ~ COE? Brand?

Good morning hello artists. Question: What's the preferred COE and brand for doing sculptural work/beads other than Boro?

thanks Sandy :0)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sandy
No hurry ~ no worries ~ unless its hot & drippy..!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hot Head & big BBQ tank of propane!

awesome banner by Knatty Dreadz!! WE MISS YOU!
Old 2009-11-05, 12:02pm

I don't do much sculptural work at all-- but when I've tried it, I've had more success with Bullseye. It's stiffer than Moretti/Effetre and holds the shape better (in my limited experience).

Mimi
Old 2009-11-05, 12:11pm

Most people use Bullseye and some use Lauscha too.
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !

Last edited by PaulaD; 2009-11-05 at 2:17pm.
Old 2009-11-05, 2:12pm
Beyond Cloud 9!

Any.

Seriously, there are artists who use just about any COE. Just go for it!

Old 2009-11-05, 2:22pm
I fart diamonds

I use 96 & 104.

Old 2009-11-05, 3:09pm

Me too any.....well maybe except fer Satake.

Old 2009-11-05, 5:01pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassactcc View Post
Me too any.....well maybe except fer Satake.
You can sculpt in Satake ... I know you can

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2009-11-05, 5:12pm

You try first and then I'll try You got a match? I can sculpt round beads with it really good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtcoInc View Post
You can sculpt in Satake ... I know you can

Malcolm

Old 2009-11-05, 5:24pm

I hear Devardi is good for scuptural...it's 104 and stiffer than most 104 is.
Old 2009-11-05, 5:29pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassactcc View Post
You try first and then I'll try You got a match? I can sculpt round beads with it really good.
You can! If I can do it, you definitely can!!

Old 2009-11-06, 6:31am
Lampworkaholic!

Bullseye without a doubt is the best soft glass for sculpting. I'd put the furnace canes second, Gaffer, Kugler and Reichenbach, especially the transparents.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-11-06, 8:18am
Forever P~P~P :0)

Thanks everyone for your imput. It truly helps!!

Sandy
No hurry ~ no worries ~ unless its hot & drippy..!

Hot Head & big BBQ tank of propane!

awesome banner by Knatty Dreadz!! WE MISS YOU!
Old 2009-11-06, 8:50am
critter creator

Definitely use whatever glass you're comfortable with!!!

As for Satake, I watched Vittorio sculpt a beautiful bird with it (although he burned the sh*t out of his hand while doing so!) I tried sculpting with it and wound up with a mess

You could even sculpt with quartz (zero COE) if you had the cahones!
Old 2009-11-06, 10:59am

I use primarily 104 and do well...

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2009-11-07, 8:55pm
MonaRAEbeads.com

Location: I live in the Sierras, between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe.

104 on a hothead is awesome for medium to large sculptures.

to get 15% off my beads

Old 2009-11-07, 9:04pm
Critter Mom

I've been using Bullseye for a couple of years and now that I've gotten used to it I don't find sculpting with 104 as difficult as I used to.

Old 2009-11-09, 7:36pm
burnin' glass just becuz

i prefer 104 cuz it's nice and soupy and sculpts easily. the 96 colours are also great, they're stiffer and come in a lovely range of very intense colours.

i'll be trying boro next...

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2009-11-10, 5:44am
Goddess

Everyone's going to have their own favorites which will vary greatly from one person to the next. Some prefer stiffer glass, others like myself (and Evelyn too ) prefer soft soupy glass. My favorite is Effetre Ivory, dark or light, it doesn't matter. I just love the honey-like consistency! Try soupy, try stiff, try different COE's, try opaque vs. transparent, try dark vs. light. They are all different and you will have to find what feels and works best for you.