Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-01-26, 9:39am

Default Glas for Paperweights

Hi to all

is anyone out there who can tell me where I can find the glas "plugs" or what they are named ?? for Paperweights . I'm from germany and if someone nows a shop here in europe I would be pleased. But also in Amerika I wpould by them...
I want the softglas ones! cause I want to make more of this

Thanks for your help

Sandra

my blog
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-01-26, 9:51am

They were called S-8 Schott casting glass pucks. They have gone out of production and nobody has the $$ to pony up to get them going again. Alternatives are being explored but to my knowledge nothing comparable is on the market now. Sucks for paperweight makers.

Robert
Old 2015-01-26, 9:57am

Thanks for that Information,Robert
hope someone can tell me if there is something I can use instead!

my blog
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-01-26, 9:14pm
Lizard rescue squad

They've been called a lot of different things by different people and retailers, but "SCHOTT S-8 Art Encapsulation Gobs" is the actual name of the paperweight glass slugs/pucks/gobs made by SCHOTT.

Last I heard, SCHOTT was planning to do a new melt of 315 gram S-8 gobs last November, however I don't know if it actually happened. The person to contact for first hand information would be David Schimmel at Schott North America, phone number: 570-457-7485, ext 300. Normal contact hours are Monday - Friday 8:00 - 12:00 Eastern Time. Unfortunately, I don't have a current email address for him.

If it is available, do not expect the glass to be cheap. But if you want to make absolutely top quality paperweights, it is worth every penny.

Here is part of my property/data sheet from the first melt of S-8 that SCHOTT released to the public in 1991. The properties of any new melt should still be the same.

Brad

Old 2015-01-27, 1:46am

Thanks Brad
That helps a lot.
Now it's my part to deside what to do! First the glas or the bigger equipment.....

Thanks Sandra

my blog
Old 2015-01-31, 5:33pm

It would be welcome news for a lot of us if the melt actually happened. Last I heard it was a no-go, but maybe (hopefully) I heard wrong. Still have a little original S8 in the studio, would love to have a backup supply.

Robert