No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-06-14, 5:59pm
Glass Obsessed!

Default Help identifying glass rod

I got a bunch of glass shorts and one of them seems to be one of the special silver glasses. It is opaque, looks almost black, but in the light you can just about see it is a dark blue. The heated tip looks slate blue and I get blues and greens from it when I use it.

I've got soem beads in the kiln right now and will post pics tomorrow, but does this ring any bells with anyone? I'd love to get more, once I know what it is!

Thanks!

Forgot to say it is soft glass, most likely 104.

Last edited by amm1majus; 2009-06-14 at 5:59pm. Reason: Forgot information
Old 2009-06-14, 8:20pm

Nyx is my first guess, but I have a limited palette of silver glass to choose from, so I could be wrong - almost navy blue when it's pulled out?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2009-06-14, 8:46pm

mmm...ask this same question in the silver-exchange 5 thread....Hayley will likely know! Actually, @ the beginning of every silver-bead exchange (in the patio) is a set of posts where Hayley lists the glasses (& there's often photos) & how to work them & what they look like & a bunch of other fantastic info....I've learned soooooo much from those threads...I only played in "round 3", but I've READ all of the exchanges, just for the "learning experience" in them!

(Nyx starts dark, gets lighter in the kiln, I don't know if it goes green though...If I had to guess, I'd say it's one of the many R4 glasses....which one, beats me!)

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-06-14, 10:18pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Maybe "Black Pearl" or "Picasso"??

Jack

Old 2009-06-15, 6:41am
Lampworkaholic!

Black Pearl is a good guess. I thought of Picasso, but it's clearly a dark blue not black. Kandinsky is almost black but it boils and is fussy to work. I think Matisse and Cezanne are dark dark blue too. Another thought - Effetre Metallic Black?

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-06-15, 7:36am
A True Woofer

I think Nyx, too.

Old 2009-06-15, 12:18pm
I like to melt things

It could also be Cezanne.

-
-
Old 2009-06-15, 2:24pm
Glass Obsessed!

Well, I got my beads out of the kiln. I was so afraid to use this glass up that I only used it sparingly here and there, so I don't think pictures are going to help!

I think my only hope is to make a bead out of the 3 inches that are left and then see if anyone can help me identify it!

Thanks so much for all your input so far!
Old 2009-06-15, 5:26pm

AnnMarie - if you thin it a little and it is a purple-ish cobalt, it could be Cezanne. But I always see a bit of color through the Cezanne rods, if I hold them to the light. If it is hard to get light through it, I'd guess Nyx?

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2009-06-15, 7:45pm
Life is change. Love it

I'm confused, its it opaque or transparent? All my Nyx is transparent - dark, but definitely transparent!

Old 2009-06-15, 9:29pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

I'm sticking with Black Pearl or Picasso.

Jack

Old 2009-06-16, 6:11am
Glass Obsessed!

Definitely opaque! Hopefully I will get something to show you that will give you more information to go on.

Thank you SO much!