No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-06-20, 10:06am
Glass Obsessed!

Default Hot Head as a second torch?

I know I am lucky to have this problem!, but we have a shore house we spend most summer weekends at. Meaning that my weekends, which are my best chance to have hubby watch the kids while I torch, are spent AWAY from my torch.

I had the thought that maybe I could get a hothead to use down the shore, but I sometime miss the practical details when I am dreaming big picture!

Can someone here talk me through what I would need to do this, and help me figure out if it really is a practical solution?

Thanks loads!
Old 2009-06-20, 10:11am

I tried using a hothead at the beach while on vacation, but it was too windy!!

Mary
Old 2009-06-20, 10:18am
Smile, it's contagious!

It would be a perfect solution, if you have an area to torch. Outside would be fine, as long as you have some kind of wind barrier. If you are setting up indoors, then I don't see a problem at all. HH's are very portable, easy to set up and easy to use.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Old 2009-06-20, 10:50am
Glass Obsessed!

Okay, dumb questions here. I need a hothead torch and MAPP gas cylinder (or whatever you use now that Mapp has been discontinued?), a place to work, and a fiber blanket (I can take them home to batch anneal). Any other big things I'm missing?
Old 2009-06-20, 11:19am
Smile, it's contagious!

You need some kind of clamping device to hold the torch to the work surface. Before I had my creation station, I had an L bracket connected to the torch with a zip tie and a big C clamp that held the L bracket to the table. You can also use a BBQ tank of propane instead of the little cannisters... you would just need to buy a hose to connect them.

If you are using the cannisters, a big hose clamp would be used w/the L bracket and C clamp.

Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Old 2009-06-20, 11:29am
Glass Obsessed!

Thank you, Gelly, for helping so much!!
Old 2009-06-20, 11:37am
Smile, it's contagious!

YW!

I'm not sure what kind of torch you are on now... just prepare yourself to work much slower than you are used to working.

Old 2009-06-20, 11:40am
Glass Obsessed!

Sometimes I think slower would be to my advantage! I am always trying to do too much in the limited time I have on the torch and usually trying to rush too much through beads, which usually equals crappy beads!

BTW, thanks for the horse on Farmtown! I just logged in for the first time in a long time! Rainy day down the shore=I'm bored!!
Old 2009-06-20, 11:42am
Smile, it's contagious!

I don't even remember the last time I sent any gifts on FT. I haven't played in over a month. I've taken a break from lots of things lately... I'm hoping to get back to torching real soon, it just hasn't happened yet.

Old 2009-06-21, 2:00pm
It's all about the color.

If you're going to be torching in the daytime outside, you might want to paint your work surface with black high-temp spray paint (like for car engines). It makes it a bit easier to see the flame. Of course, you'll also want some kind of cover or umbrella to protect yourself from the sun.

Indoors, have fun. Can't think of anything Gelly missed.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2009-06-21, 5:10pm

I used to torch outside @ night with mine
(and inside I used a black table!)
even though I have a new (not set up ) torch, I'm not giving up my hothead--I that torch....
Check out Nikki's website www.nlcbeads.com , check the "tutorials" link, for a fantastic drawn diagram on "where in the flame" you want to be, etc. on a hothead, she's done some great little tutorials, etc. on how a hothead works.
~luna

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-06-22, 8:21am
Glass Obsessed!

Thank you, Kay and Luna. Now I am trying to figure out where I can scrounge up a table, and some kind of windscreen.... Luckily it is garage sale season!

And yes I know many people have accomplished great things on a HotHead! I would never disparage one! Nikki alone is amazing!!
Old 2009-06-22, 11:34am
Ad astra per aspera

Make optimum use of your HH by packing a bunch of dichro. Much as I love my Midrange, the HH is seemingly designed just for working dichro!

Also, instead of a fiber blanket, nab some of those nifty Japanese annealing bubbles from Malcolm. Whatever they're made of, they truly seem to be a better option than anything else short of a live kiln.