No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-12-06, 9:31am
Christine

Default Teacher for Stringer Control

If you were going to take a class from an experienced lampworker on stringer control and learning how to do scroll work etc - who would you take it from?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-12-06, 9:34am

This is just my opinion, but I don't think you can be taught that. I think you have to practice very diligently. You can be given advice, watch someone else, take a class, read books, watch videos, etc., and until you spend a significant amount of time honing the skill on your own torch, you will not master it.
Old 2012-12-06, 10:32am
Playing with Fire!

Holly Cooper and Trey Cornette are the two we would recommend. We have had them as visiting teachers a few times and they both teach methods for precise stringer control.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Playing with Fire!
Old 2012-12-06, 12:07pm
GLASS ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by echeveria View Post
This is just my opinion, but I don't think you can be taught that. I think you have to practice very diligently. You can be given advice, watch someone else, take a class, read books, watch videos, etc., and until you spend a significant amount of time honing the skill on your own torch, you will not master it.
I have seen others do it and watched a lot of videos on you tube but if you don't practice they mean nothing
Old 2012-12-06, 1:24pm
offically down under

Corina and Anastasia both teach fine stringer control. I flunked both classes. Hopefully, Holly will be able to teach me when she comes here in April.

Old 2012-12-06, 2:07pm

if you haven't watched Corina's video on stringer control, I would suggest it.

But how I taught myself stringer control was to do stringer work (scrolls ets) in 90 or 96 since it is stiffer and then once I got the hang of it in 90 or 96 then I moved back to 104 but being sure not to use white. White melts easier than other colors.

Old 2012-12-06, 2:41pm

Trey Cornette's class is great but I think he is taking a break from teaching. Even after you take a class I agree with everyone that is takes lots of practice.
Old 2012-12-06, 2:47pm
Nikki Haverstock

I so badly want to take Holly's class to improve my scrolling stringer work I might take her class at the Gathering.

Old 2012-12-06, 11:06pm
honorary bead lady

Ali VandeGrift!
Old 2012-12-07, 4:56am
Unmedicated since '62

Corina or Holly but they use different methods, I learned from both of them but in the end it's practice
One thing that helped me was to start with thick stringer and work your way up to thin stringer

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-12-07, 4:57am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polgarra View Post
I so badly want to take Holly's class to improve my scrolling stringer work I might take her class at the Gathering.
It was AWSOME,....but I sucked

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-12-07, 5:02am
Scientific Glass Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by echeveria View Post
amen.

i think classes are great. i have taken a LOT of classes. but i think the skill comes from an absolutely ridiculous amount of practice. even when it feels like you're failing, you need to just keep at it. for years. and one day you'll step back and go, "damn! i'm glad i stuck with that!"