Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Old 2013-05-02, 7:28am

Default GTT Phantom vs Sidewinder and Oxycons

I'm looking to upgrade my minor to a GTT model. Oxycons are adequate for my situation, the sidewinder is designed for that, but the trip mix technology on the phantom is very tempting. What oxycons would be best for both?

Thanks
Old 2013-05-02, 9:17am

triple mix likes higher pressure....higher then most oxycons can produce.
but if you were to use m20's or hurricanes (both unlimited oxygen products) i think you'd be ok.

but gtt has a few torches that are designed with oxycon's in mind, just not sure which models.
Old 2013-05-02, 10:04am
I fart diamonds

If you plan on working with oxycons, get the Sidewinder. The flame is pretty much the same size as the Phantom and since you're not used to the triple mix of the Phantom, you won't even miss it. I've had a Phantom, Cheetah & Lynx and personally, I don't even miss that 2nd oxy knob when I'm working on one of their standard mix torches. GTT just makes great torches, whether triple mix or standard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-05-02, 12:32pm

Thank you for the help, the sidewinder it is! Would two ex 15s do the job?
Old 2013-05-02, 12:54pm
I fart diamonds

You'll probably need 3 to run it well. There's a photo in this thread of one running on 2 M20s & an M15. http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=202288

Old 2013-05-02, 1:52pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
You'll probably need 3 to run it well. There's a photo in this thread of one running on 2 M20s & an M15. http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=202288
Funny I was reading that thread last night!
Old 2013-05-02, 3:22pm
sorcerer

I agree with Shawnette the sidewinder is a great torch and easily as hot as a phantom, that said I run a phantom on two OG20s and it performs very well, it's not just pressure you need on a torch, all the pressure is for is to make sure you have enough volume , so lpm is really the most important factor, Shawnette is also right about the triple mix, it can take a while to get used to it but the sidewinder with a foot pedal you will love.
Bernard

Old 2013-05-02, 7:02pm

Thanks I almost ordered the sidewinder but I found a shop with the scorpion in stock and with the extra cash I was able to grab a foot pedal!

On a side note is a new paragon f13 worth it? I'm looking for a kiln with a good amount of space.

Old 2013-05-02, 7:08pm
I fart diamonds

I have a friend who just retired from lampworking and has a brand spanking new F120 for sale. It has an Orton digital controller. He wants $900 for it. If you're interested, I can give you his contact info. (I have pics but only in email.)

Congrats on the Scorpion! It will work great on 2 M15s!

Old 2013-05-03, 5:45am
PyronamixK

Congratulations on your new Scorpion!

I have some YouTube videos up of the Scorpion being run on a few different concentrator set-ups and one running on tanked oxygen.
Here's my channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/PyronamixK
Old 2013-05-03, 1:08pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
I have a friend who just retired from lampworking and has a brand spanking new F120 for sale. It has an Orton digital controller. He wants $900 for it. If you're interested, I can give you his contact info. (I have pics but only in email.)

Congrats on the Scorpion! It will work great on 2 M15s!
Thanks guys! And that sounds great please do, my studio is going to be in the room where my washer and dryer would be, can I run an F120 in there? Its a three bedroom house and we dont use much electricity.

After doing some research I bought a regalia 10, might buy another 10 at some point. Hope it works out!
Old 2013-05-03, 1:52pm
I fart diamonds

It runs on regular household electric. Shoot me your email address and I'll send you the pics and his contact info.