Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-04-04, 4:50pm
Addicted to Glass.

Default Oxygen Use - Bottled Users

Hello!

I was wondering how long (hours) your cylinders of oxy last for a particular torch (typical usage).

I'm thinking an A or B Size (44 or 17 liter) oxy tank on a..

Minor (or equiv)
Mid-range (or equiv)
Major (or equiv)

I'm trying to figure out how many trips I'm going to be making to the welding supply store a month .

Any help would be appreciated!
Old 2010-04-04, 6:50pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Do you mean...

"A" "T" or "K" or 300 cu-ft
"B" "K" or "A" or 200 cu-ft.

It some what goes by who you are purchasing your oxy from...

http://www.airgas.com/content/produc...x?chart_type=6

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2010-04-04, 7:02pm
Somebody's watching me!

im interested in seeing the outcome of this thread. I will let you know how a red max does by the end of this week

Old 2010-04-04, 8:25pm
Kobuki & DIY Homefill Sys

sounds like you'll be in the market for a larger tank soon...
Old 2010-04-04, 8:32pm
She's Back & Burnin'

I am picking up a 220 tank on Monday and I am going to clock my hours on it. I am going to be working with the midrange. I will let you know my results.

Oh and just to add my 2 cents on AirGas...they SUCK!!! After 9 years, they wanted to go triple the price of my K tank leases and go from $20 per refill to $80!!!!

I am now using AndyOxy and they love glass artists!!!

Sara

Old 2010-04-04, 9:09pm
Addicted to Glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
Do you mean...

"A" "T" or "K" or 300 cu-ft
"B" "K" or "A" or 200 cu-ft.

It some what goes by who you are purchasing your oxy from...

http://www.airgas.com/content/produc...x?chart_type=6

Dale
I didn't know that they had differen't sizes per company. I am going to be going through my local welding supply store so I'm not sure exactly what "brand" it is, but I do know the sizes!

It's the 9 X 56 (2nd down on the list) and the
8 1/2x31 (3rd down on the list).

--Mike
Old 2010-04-04, 9:15pm
Somebody's watching me!

word on the street is that my 250cu/ft tank will last 4-5 hours on the red max. but i will be using the mega max on top most of the time so im hoping to get double that out of my tank. i will only torch about an hour a day...

Old 2010-04-05, 3:37am
He can do the origami

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACE Glass View Post
............ (typical usage)......
Just keep in mind this is going to vary from person to person even on the same torch...... if I am making pendants for a show two months from now.... I will be using X amount of O2. If the show is next week and I am behind, I am going to be using a lot more O2... but that is still typical usage for me.... but if I am making perfume bottles for the show... same torch... I probably should just go with a dewer.

It is good to get a feel for what other people are using out there but your actual oxygen use will probably vary due to many things including your own personal working style.

Otter
Old 2010-04-05, 5:22am
Run Free Sweet Boy

tough question.. if i am making beads I barely sip oxy,. if I am making boro sculpture I use more, if I am making marbles I suck down the oxy. and if I am doing bigger blown work I can go through some oxy as well...

Candice

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2010-04-05, 7:26am

Just like Otter says...I tried to get this kind of information once in order to try to figure out how to get started, but it's all about how you're using the torch, what you're making, are you on a foot pedal? It all makes such a difference. When I'm blowing hummingbird feeders I go through crazy amounts of O2, but when I'm doing pendants It's an order of magnitude less. If you can get T (334) tanks, it's more cost effective. You get about 1/2 again as much for only a few dollars more, but you pay for it with the weight to have to move around.
Old 2010-04-05, 8:03am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
I didn't know that they had differen't sizes per company. I am going to be going through my local welding supply store so I'm not sure exactly what "brand" it is, but I do know the sizes!

It's the 9 X 56 (2nd down on the list) and the

--Mike
Actually its just "terminology" each different company uses to "state" tank size...

Base line is actually measurements and actual cubic feet (or liters) each tank will hold at a set pressure, usually something like 2100 psi.... General rule is go with biggest tank you can physically move, and with a "deal" that you can afford...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2010-04-05, 8:45am
Addicted to Glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonker View Post
Just like Otter says...I tried to get this kind of information once in order to try to figure out how to get started, but it's all about how you're using the torch, what you're making, are you on a foot pedal? It all makes such a difference. When I'm blowing hummingbird feeders I go through crazy amounts of O2, but when I'm doing pendants It's an order of magnitude less. If you can get T (334) tanks, it's more cost effective. You get about 1/2 again as much for only a few dollars more, but you pay for it with the weight to have to move around.
I'll be running a mid-range doing small to medium boro work. I'm going to be moving from my teacher's personal studio into my own (I'm working on building the space now - should be ready by the end of the month). I run off bottled oxy when doing larger work and the generator when doing smaller work at her studio, but have no clue really how much bottled I am going through.
Old 2010-04-05, 9:40am

I typically used 9-10 cubic feet of oxygen an hour on a Minor. That translates to 250-280 liters of oxygen an hour.

Steve

Old 2010-04-05, 10:04am
Pyromaniac

On my minor, I used to get about 9 hours out of a 100(ish) cu-ft tank. A "K" tank (a/k/a 200 or 220 depending on who is talking) should last around 20. According to a very reliable source, a K tank will actually last closer to 22 hours, on a minor burner - and I believe that is working boro so you may get more time.

Bigger torch, less time, for example if I remember correctly, a K tank lasts more like 10 hours on a lynx (assuming you're blasting away at boro like I do, anyhow)

I was wondering: 44 liters is equivalent to about 1.55 cubic feet. I'm guessing it is the physical (uncompressed) volume you're discussing, rather than how much gas it can hold in a compressed state? This really threw me for a loop until I started doing the calcs and figured out that pretty much had to be what you meant...

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2010-04-05, 2:01pm

Quote:
...It's the 9 X 56 (2nd down on the list) and the

--Mike
imo, the 8.5 x 31 is too small
Old 2010-04-05, 2:27pm
Addicted to Glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalbone View Post
imo, the 8.5 x 31 is too small
I was thinking of having that as a backup tank in case I was in the middle of a piece. What would you suggest to keep that from happening?

I ask becuase I see "mirage tank and fill system" under your name (I have no clue what that is).

Oxycon's are out of the picture for me since the temperature where they would be located will be often lower than the recomened temp. + I would probably need 2-M15's minimum.

The big tank I will be renting will have 251cf of oxy in it. Should I rent 2?
Old 2010-04-05, 5:28pm

I have two 282's ... and make sure I swap them over (bigger torch though and not doing much boro at the moment). Having 2 covers me when one runs out.

Old 2010-04-05, 6:09pm

the tank fill system is a compressor and oxygen concentrator system I use to fill two K tanks so that I don't have to lug tanks around or keep visiting the local air gas guy (there are no more independents nearby...). I refill the system when the psi reaches about 500.

If I were going to buy oxy from the welding store, I would have 3 Ks so that I can get 2 refills at a time and spread the gas across 2 tanks rather than just 1.

Last edited by metalbone; 2010-04-05 at 8:03pm.
Old 2010-04-05, 11:18pm
Addicted to Glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalbone View Post
the tank fill system is a compressor and oxygen concentrator system I use to fill two K tanks so that I don't have to lug tanks around or keep visiting the local air gas guy (there are no more independents nearby...). I refill the system when the psi reaches about 500.

If I were going to buy oxy from the welding store, I would have 3 Ks so that I can get 2 refills at a time and spread the gas across 2 tanks rather than just 1.
By spread them apart are you talking about hooking them up using a Y connector?

Would I put my regulator on after the Y connector? Or would I need 1 on each tank before the Y?

How much does a tank fill system run?
Old 2010-04-05, 11:20pm
Addicted to Glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadiesJewels View Post
I have two 282's ... and make sure I swap them over (bigger torch though and not doing much boro at the moment). Having 2 covers me when one runs out.
What is your torch of choice?

Also... A little off topic..Great Website! Very nicely laid out!
Old 2010-04-05, 11:23pm
Addicted to Glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunyip View Post
On my minor, I used to get about 9 hours out of a 100(ish) cu-ft tank. A "K" tank (a/k/a 200 or 220 depending on who is talking) should last around 20. According to a very reliable source, a K tank will actually last closer to 22 hours, on a minor burner - and I believe that is working boro so you may get more time.

Bigger torch, less time, for example if I remember correctly, a K tank lasts more like 10 hours on a lynx (assuming you're blasting away at boro like I do, anyhow)

I was wondering: 44 liters is equivalent to about 1.55 cubic feet. I'm guessing it is the physical (uncompressed) volume you're discussing, rather than how much gas it can hold in a compressed state? This really threw me for a loop until I started doing the calcs and figured out that pretty much had to be what you meant...
Yea, I'm talking about in the acutal tank . I now know the torch I will be using will use about 15-30 CFH based on how much I crank it.

Blasting boro is fun... until you boil your white again.
Old 2010-04-05, 11:25pm
Addicted to Glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveWright View Post
I typically used 9-10 cubic feet of oxygen an hour on a Minor. That translates to 250-280 liters of oxygen an hour.

Steve
How hard are you running the Minor?
Old 2010-04-06, 9:17am

Quote:
How hard are you running the Minor?
That would be a neutral flame hot enough to melt Effetre.

Steve