No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-03-14, 10:45am
Glass my new Obsession

Default What to do with Rubino Oro

I have 1 rod of Rubino Oro and I don't know what to do with itAre there any special reactions with other colors?
Pics please LOL!
Tina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-03-14, 10:57am
Viking Flame Keeper

Do not, I repeat, do not put it on top of ivory!

That is seriously ugly, I promise. You don't have to try it, just trust me.

Make some flowers!

One thing that you have to be very careful to do is to work the rubino cool and not reduce it. You can very easily burn out the colour if you work it too hot.
Make a gather of white, encase in rubino, melt and pull a stringer. Now you can use that stringer to make spiral roses. Check out the current set I have on eBay to see an example. The glass I used is not Effetre so you won't get that intense pink colour but the technique is the same.
It's also very pretty on opal yellow and copper green.

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Old 2007-03-14, 11:37am

You can use it over silver over cobalt for some great space effects as well
:

--------------
Make Beads:

--------------

Do you make purple hearts? Let me know in your order and I'll send you free purple glass!
Old 2007-03-14, 12:02pm

Ditto on working it cooler. Move it out further in your flame so it doesn't get too hot. You can boil the color right out of it. It is possible to strike it back in BUT NOT if you get it too hot.

If it turns clear on you, take it out of the flame. Let it cool and then bring it back slowly into the cooler far end of the flame.

Sometimes I do well with this color and other times I waste the glass.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2007-03-14, 1:34pm
Missing presumed fed

Don't make beads out of solid rubino. It's too dark. If you want a bead with a rubino base, make a core out of clear and case it with rubino.

If you're going to make dots with rubino, heat a gather on the end of a rod and use another rod to mix it up well, then pull a stringer and use that to make the dots. The reason for this is that rubino rods are actually a core of clear covered with a layer of rubino, because the color of rubino is really, really dense. If you make dots straight from the rod, sometimes what you get is a dot that's part clear and part rubino.

Rubino over white or pale pink is pretty pretty pretty for flower petals.

Rubino reacts with silver to turn swampy green tones. If you're really good with your flame chemistry -- if you're Michael Barley, for instance -- you can get blues, sometimes, too. It's not to everybody's taste, but those who like it think it's very very cool.

Rubino is like the transparent striking red or yellow. If you overheat it, it will go cloudy instead of transparent.

Be careful not to reduce rubino. It goes gray.

I've heard people say that beads with rubino on the surface are sometimes sticky in the kiln, so you should be careful about letting them touch other beads.

Never make an ivory goddess with rubino nipples.
Old 2007-03-14, 1:51pm
Glass my new Obsession

So if I make a base that is copper green and dot it with rubino do I get pink dots or greenish blue ones?

LOL I remember the ivory goddess with rubino nipples

Keep the ideas coming guys!
Tina

Old 2007-03-14, 2:36pm
ID10T Problem Solver

I like to use it for raised surface decoration on the Silver Plums...dots or scrolls.

***Scorpion (4 stud)***
Old 2007-03-14, 2:48pm

Lightly reduce it for a gorgeous lustre!

Old 2007-03-14, 3:08pm
I love melting glass!

Here's a set that came out of my kiln yesterday...it's rubino over dark pink.

Christy

Old 2007-03-14, 3:10pm
Glass my new Obsession

Those are beautiful Christy!

Old 2007-03-14, 3:11pm
I love melting glass!

Thanks Tina!

Old 2007-03-14, 3:30pm

This is rubino over opal yellow
Old 2007-03-14, 6:55pm
Glass my new Obsession

I think I may have to buy some more of this glass!
Lovely bead Pat.
Tina

Old 2007-03-15, 5:41am
In spite of it all!

Are we talking about the old Rubino or the old Rubino? I have the ld Rubino and it seems to be pretty deeply (evenly) colored through out the entire rod looking at it from the end view. Possibly I have some that is a fluke?

Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us. ~ Stephen Covey

Old 2007-03-15, 5:52am

Quote:
Originally Posted by KetchikanSculptor View Post
Are we talking about the old Rubino or the old Rubino? I have the ld Rubino and it seems to be pretty deeply (evenly) colored through out the entire rod looking at it from the end view. Possibly I have some that is a fluke?
The old rubino is dark through the entire rod, but if you really look at the end, you should be able to see concentric circles. Look hard. If you don't, please post a pic. I must have 12 different batches (at least) from the darkest of the dark to watermelon, to clear. They always have them. Even if you look at the clear in the right light, you can tell it's rubino.
Old 2007-03-15, 8:20am
Contessa Glass

I love rubino, use it all the time. I have many batches, from dark to clear, they all seem to work up the same. Not burning it in the flame is important, but also, don't let it strike too long in the kiln either or it gets cloudy. An hour soak at the most, then ramp down. I save the rubino beads for last within each torching session so they're not in there too long at max. temp.

These are my avatar, rubino encased over white...

Through great effort and hard work, a precious dream comes true

Old 2007-03-15, 11:19am
WildBird Beads

So Emily,.. what color do you use for those nipples on a goddess?? LOL

WildBird
Old 2007-03-15, 11:41am
one day at a time

Rubino on opal yellow, swirl it, rake it around a bit, then strike in the flame = yummy!
Old 2007-03-15, 11:54am
Glass my new Obsession

These are all such great ideas and all the beads are gorgeous!I bought a couple more rods today at a local glass shopGonna play with some in a bit
Tina

Old 2007-03-15, 2:37pm

I bought some of this and have been trying to psych myself up to play some with it! I just can't bear the thought of wasting a speck of it thats kinda making me stall! and the fear its gonna go gray on me.........

Old 2007-03-16, 9:11am

one of my favorite beads is a copper green base with masking dots of opal yellow/copper green and then accent raised dots of rubino. it's a really nice soft combo!

melanie
Old 2007-03-16, 9:29am

HEre are a couple of beads that I've made with Rubino Oro.
Attached Images