No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2016-10-24, 1:34pm
jamesrich

Default Liquid Oxygen in Residences

Does anyone know of an oxygen supplier in the Algonquin, IL area that could deliver liquid oxygen to a residence? or how to convince them to do it? lol thanks
I am looking to run a redmax and have heard that you could run the top fire on an oxycone and the bottom on tanked? any advice is appreciated
Old 2016-10-24, 4:28pm

Its a hassle. a 230 liter tank is 875 pounds or so.

Dumb people will freak out thinking you are building bombs or a meth lab.
Liquid tanks are just too spooky looking to be in residential areas due to ignorance.
If they will drop it off for you then go for it.

A wiser long term solution is to go to all concentrators, im running a GTT Mirage on 4 oxycons and am very happy.
I own a home fill so I can fill 2 tanks.plus have a Gast compressor I can hook up and pressurize 50 gallon tank to 100psi and run that way.
With the 50 gallon storage method I can run the Mirage and the Phantom at the same time.

Iv used all the methods and spent a big pile of money so I could have almost paid for a manufactured High volume low pressure system like the Oxygen frog or high volume oxygen system.

Scott Fleischman is a great guy with a education in chemical engineering and is very helpful to the glassblowing community by sharing his knowledge.
http://www.oxygenfrog.com/home.html
OxygenFrog Complete 30 liter/min with 60 gallon buffer tank $5975

Before buying a big ol system id load up on oxygen concentrators and run that bad boy.
I love running strait from the concentrators, no hassles always ready with no other gadgets,buffer tanks or anything.

Oh and the concentrators have saved me a pile of money, thats how I could afford nicer torches,glass and tools.
Old 2016-10-24, 6:16pm
jamesrich

[quote=snoopdog6502;4884515]Its a hassle. a 230 liter tank is 875 pounds or so.

A wiser long term solution is to go to all concentrators, im running a GTT Mirage on 4 oxycons and am very happy.
I own a home fill so I can fill 2 tanks.plus have a Gast compressor I can hook up and pressurize 50 gallon tank to 100psi and run that way.
With the 50 gallon storage method I can run the Mirage and the Phantom at the same time.

Thats helpful to hear! what kind of concentrators do u have? how long have u had them? any problems? where did u get them, and for what price? also, does the gast compressor feed into the tank or the torch? and would it then increase psi or lpm?
Thank you
Old 2016-10-24, 10:11pm

[quote=jamesrich;4884559]
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopdog6502 View Post
Its a hassle. a 230 liter tank is 875 pounds or so.

Thats helpful to hear! what kind of concentrators do u have? how long have u had them? any problems? where did u get them, and for what price? also, does the gast compressor feed into the tank or the torch? and would it then increase psi or lpm?
Thank you
I have 4 different brands but they all are pretty good, they are made to keep people alive. I have 2 invacare that have 46,00 hours I think and I know one is over 63,000 hours, that's 7+ years 24/7.

The gast compressor feeds into 3 tanks and I use a normal regulator to turn the pressure and flow to much as I want.

I paid $540 for an 8lpm new
$200 for 2 5lpm machines
2 I got for free but one needs fixed so 4 of my 5 run.

Going liquid is awesome but it would be good to have help using it, I would not want liquid just for one torch.
Old 2016-10-25, 3:35pm
jamesrich

[quote=snoopdog6502;4884625]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrich View Post

I have 4 different brands but they all are pretty good, they are made to keep people alive. I have 2 invacare that have 46,00 hours I think and I know one is over 63,000 hours, that's 7+ years 24/7.

The gast compressor feeds into 3 tanks and I use a normal regulator to turn the pressure and flow to much as I want.

I paid $540 for an 8lpm new
$200 for 2 5lpm machines
2 I got for free but one needs fixed so 4 of my 5 run.

Going liquid is awesome but it would be good to have help using it, I would not want liquid just for one torch.

Sounds like a nice setup, thanks for the quick replies. i have heard that having generators of different power would make the weaker of the bunch get overpowered by the stronger ones. have you had that problem at all? also were i to get a redmax, run the top fire on a generator or two, and the bottom off tanked, would you think that could work well for large boro eventually? thanks again for all the info
Old 2016-10-25, 10:03pm

[quote=jamesrich;4884688]
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopdog6502 View Post

Sounds like a nice setup, thanks for the quick replies. i have heard that having generators of different power would make the weaker of the bunch get overpowered by the stronger ones. have you had that problem at all? also were i to get a redmax, run the top fire on a generator or two, and the bottom off tanked, would you think that could work well for large boro eventually? thanks again for all the info
The oxycons dont fight they dont build any pressure to fight with I leave the torch oxygen wide open at all times.

Oxycons and tanks will run the red max well for a long time, the redmax will handle just about anything its just a bit slower then a big dollar torch.
By buddies crank up the fuel and oxy and make big marbles on them just fine. You can turn up the pressures and go big. Its a respectable torch.
Old 2016-10-26, 8:08am
Phill

There could be local ordinances and regulations that forbid companies from delivering liquid oxygen to your home.

Some places even prevent home owners from having the 5 foot tall "k" tanks at home.

Usually those laws were to prevent folks from opening junk / salvage yards from opening up and driving the market for home prices into the ground but exceptions have been made when you can get the fire department to sign off on what you have in mind.

It does require getting city hall to approve it though and sometimes that is easier said then done.
Old 2016-11-01, 12:34pm
jamesrich

thank you both for the info. I discovered that the redmax is only two ports though, so i wont be able to do an oxycon and tanks at the same time. unless someone know of a 4 port red max? if not ill be getting the bravo. thanks again for all the help
Old 2016-11-03, 1:33am
Phill

There are methods for combining oxycons and tanks.

Foot switches is one way and piping it all to knobs accessible at the torch bench is another.

If the red max is the one I am thinking of it has a smaller torch on top and a bigger torch underneath that. Run an oxycon to the small torch and a tank to the big one and you have the best of both worlds.
Old 2016-11-03, 3:28am

This video says it's about "How I converted Nortel redmax to four stud torch so I can use a foot pedal": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsRFKwSFOUc

I found it by googling "red max 4 stud upgrade". I think there were more relevant results, if you want to look.

Last edited by dusty; 2016-11-03 at 3:33am.