Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-08-13, 8:16pm

Default Please...please help me - completely boro challenged

I finally got my act together, purchased a new concentrator and upgraded to a Betta - all in the hopes I could finally work with Boro. I'm now running on two Elite concentrators, propane and the Betta and I cannot get this glass to melt. I cannot even melt enough glass to make a 12mm donut bead in any of the boro colors that I purchased.

I know that boro is a hard glass, but am I right to assume that my setup with 2 oxycons and a Betta is still not enough to work boro? I had hoped to make some large beads (1-1/2"), but now that I can't even make a small donut bead, I'm starting to get frustrated and I'm ready to give up already.

What glass I do get to melt on my mandrel will not melt down and stays the same shape it is once it lands on the mandrel - no matter how long I hold it in the flame or work it. I can't melt it enough to shape it AT ALL.

What could I possibly be doing wrong here? After 15 minutes, I still can't melt the glass to make a small donut bead. Should my setup be enough to allow me to melt this glass much faster than this?

Does anyone know what PSI my propane and oxy be set at? Maybe the problem is related to that. I don't know - I'm ready to give up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Cat; 2006-08-13 at 8:25pm.
Old 2006-08-13, 8:42pm
AKA Vanna

Hey Cat,

I don't know much about the Betta, but on a Piranha you only have to have one concentrator to melt Boro. Two would be too much oxygen therefore a much cooler flame. Try working with one oxycon and see if it gets better.

Any other suggestions from anyone?

Kim's Klub
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. Come on, you know you wanna!!

"Mama, I need one of those beads in Elvis Red, Mint and Bubblegum." My Daughter Austyn, age 6 (Future Glass Artist)
Old 2006-08-14, 2:57am

I didn't even think of that. I'll give it a shot this morning and see if it's any better. What is puzzling me is that when I purchased a few sample packs I had the Mini CC and two oxycons and was able to melt the boro much faster than I can now on the Betta - which, to me, doesn't seem to make any sense. I would have thought the Betta would work better with Boro. I can't even get the end of the rod to melt if I hold it in the flame forever.

Nobody is really responding to this thread - they are probably rolling their eyes thinking I'm just a dumb a**.. LOL But seriously - something is wrong with my setup if I can't melt the end of a boro rod.

Old 2006-08-14, 5:20am
ManBearPig

You shouldn't have any problem melting boro on the Betta, or a Minor or Mini CC or any torch that size. Could be that your flame isn't adjusted right. Try some soft glass. Does it melt at the same rate as it did on your Mini CC?

Old 2006-08-14, 5:27am
In search of her path....

Hi Cat, You should be able to burn boro better than what your expierience is on the betta, on my bobcat with 2 concentrators I could burn boro with no problem! It was easy peasy. I dont know whats going on. hum the only thing I can think is that your oxy is over powering your propane.

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2006-08-14, 6:53am

I'm on a mini and one oxy con and it's working great!!!!
Old 2006-08-14, 7:53am
Missing presumed fed

Move down closer to the torch head. You can work boro an inch away from the cones.
Old 2006-08-14, 7:57am

Quote:
Originally Posted by IF-Designs
Hi Cat, You should be able to burn boro better than what your expierience is on the betta, on my bobcat with 2 concentrators I could burn boro with no problem! It was easy peasy. I dont know whats going on. hum the only thing I can think is that your oxy is over powering your propane.
What do you have your concentrators set on? I had mine both set at 4.5, shut one off and was able to melt the boro much better than when I had two running - not as good as I think I should, but still much better than before. I'm thinking that I should run both of them, but maybe set them each at 3 or 3.5? I'm going to go and try that.

As far as the soft glass, I've been able to work that much better with my setup - but have only had the problems with boro.

Old 2006-08-14, 7:59am
Boro Brat

I am working boro on a minor with 1 oxy con right now...your set-up is MORE than sufficient to melt the stuff. I'm coil-potting, blowing, popping holes, etc with no problem! What is you propane set at? Here is a picture of one of the pieces I've done on my set-up:

So don't give up!! It's probably something to do with your settings. You'll be melting this stuff in no time!!

Old 2006-08-14, 8:47am
Missing presumed fed

You aren't expecting it to get completely drippy, are you? It should get soft enough to move into a nicely rounded shape (much easier to get nice bead puckers than with soft glass), but it won't get drip-right-onto-the-table runny like soft glass does. You need to push it around more.
Old 2006-08-14, 9:00am
Satake Woman!

I'm using a betta with 2 concentrators for boro. The concentrators are set at 4.5, and I have the propane set to 3. I'm doing all kinds of boro, including tubing and sculpture. I have the oxy knob on the torch almost all the way open, and the propane knob open only a little. I do shove the glass quite a bit, not at all like soft glass. But I have no problems getting it to melt for beads.

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2006-08-14, 9:09am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily
You aren't expecting it to get completely drippy, are you? It should get soft enough to move into a nicely rounded shape (much easier to get nice bead puckers than with soft glass), but it won't get drip-right-onto-the-table runny like soft glass does. You need to push it around more.
No, not at all. I wasn't even able to get the end of a rod to soften enough to put on the mandrel. I put both my concentrators on 3.5 and I've been having a much easier time. I think I had too much oxygen running through the torch.

Old 2006-08-14, 9:24am
boro color bender

I'm working on a Betta and running about 12 LPM through it to get the flame I like. It's just a totally different glass than you're used to. Give it some time, try different parts of the flame. See if somebody that has boro experience lives close to you and can come over to show you boro tricks. It's just going to take some playing around with different flames and such. People are really surprised when they see the flame setting I use on their torch for boro. They normally tell me they didn't know their torch could do that.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-08-14, 9:36am
ID10T Problem Solver

Brent,
How about a pic of the flame you are using on a Betta?

***Scorpion (4 stud)***
Old 2006-08-14, 10:03am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley
I'm working on a Betta and running about 12 LPM through it to get the flame I like. It's just a totally different glass than you're used to. Give it some time, try different parts of the flame. See if somebody that has boro experience lives close to you and can come over to show you boro tricks. It's just going to take some playing around with different flames and such. People are really surprised when they see the flame setting I use on their torch for boro. They normally tell me they didn't know their torch could do that.
Are you using propane? If so, what do you have that set at?

Old 2006-08-14, 10:27am
boro color bender

I have my propane set at about 3 PSI... sure, I can take a picture. I'll do that when I fire it back up.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-08-14, 9:17pm

My oxy con is set at 5 and my propane at 3 and I'm melting the boro drippy.
Mind you it takes a little while to do it, but it can get drippy.
But I don't like it that way, I like to roll it on the mandrel a little stiffer than that.

I'll tell ya what though.. I am loving the boro!