No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-11-29, 8:28am
Jacqueline Parkes

Default Help! My Encasing Glass Sucks!

Please tell me what is wrong with my glass. It is bullseye clear, 1401 and I have cleaned it thoroughly and ensured I was not working too low in the flame. I am on a hothead.

Almost all my florals are turning into bead garbage!

I am of course referring to the ugly brown streaks. Is this what you seasoned lampworks call soot?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-11-29, 8:31am
Jacqueline Parkes

I also had another question. Why is it I always get a nice dimpled end on my left side of the bead and no dimple on the right? This has stumped me for years and I have tried so hard to ensure I am treating each side the same. I don't get what I am doing wrong. I am encasing from left to right around the world. I have also tried the swiping from top to bottom but I still have the same issue. I cannot encase in one swoop as I am on a hothead

I am planning on making and selling my florals full time.

PLEASE HELP!

Old 2009-11-29, 8:35am
Tweedle Dumb

Maybe your torch is dirty, you would get soot even working out in the flame if it is throwing off carbon. That being said... you may just have a bad batch of clear. That is what my bad clear does even on my minor, and it burns pretty darn clean. Don't throw them away donate them to beads of courage, the kiddies will love them.

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2009-11-29, 8:37am

Well, your flowers a beautiful so you need no help there. I don't know about the Bullseye either as I use 104. When I encase though, I also use the "round the world" way. When I start my encasement, I start at the left and work to the right. I lay a thick "collar" down and continue until I'm am at the other side and again, lay a thick collar down. I use a brass paddle to heat the encasement at the "collar" and push the clear glass as close to the mandrel as possible without touching. Same for the other side. I do that every time I encase which could be three or four times for one bead. It always insures that I get nice ends on both sides.

Old 2009-11-29, 8:39am
Jacqueline Parkes

My propane tank is new and I am not getting this issue with other brands of clear. I did call the supplier where I purchased the clear and she said that bullseye is not consistent with their clear. Um, what the hell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie lynne View Post
Maybe your torch is dirty, you would get soot even working out in the flame if it is throwing off carbon. That being said... you may just have a bad batch of clear. That is what my bad clear does even on my minor, and it burns pretty darn clean. Don't throw them away donate them to beads of courage, the kiddies will love them.

Old 2009-11-29, 8:40am
Jacqueline Parkes

When you start at the left, do you start on the shoulder of the bead or close to the mandrel? I am making fairly large focals. Also when you end on the right, do you end near the mandrel and then add a collar of clear or do you end on th shoulder and then add more glass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassactcc View Post
Well, your flowers a beautiful so you need no help there. I don't know about the Bullseye either as I use 104. When I encase though, I also use the "round the world" way. When I start my encasement, I start at the left and work to the right. I lay a thick "collar" down and continue until I'm am at the other side and again, lay a thick collar down. I use a brass paddle to heat the encasement at the "collar" and push the clear glass as close to the mandrel as possible without touching. Same for the other side. I do that every time I encase which could be three or four times for one bead. It always insures that I get nice ends on both sides.

Old 2009-11-29, 8:46am
Tweedle Dumb

I don't work with bullseye, I'm mostly 104. But maybe you got a different brand with out knowing it... I mean it is CLEAR... hard to tell the manufacturer and quality until it hits the flame, ya know? Do you work 104 at all? If you do I would recommend Moretti Super Clear. I've had great luck with it. I'm no help with bullseye I'm afraid. Where is Squid I think she works mostly with that coe. Maybe shoot her a pm.

Last edited by jamie lynne; 2009-11-29 at 8:59am.
Old 2009-11-29, 8:51am

I get as close to the mandrel as possible with the collar but I can't get close enough, so I go back with the paddle to push it closer. Same for the other side. I make huge focals that are not always round, so this is a good way to make the finished bead look really nice on both sides. I don't always end up with dimples right off the bat because of the shapes that I make so this technique finishes both sides nicely. I'm not really hung up on dimples, but I want both ends to be symmetrical and have a nice smooth finish.

Old 2009-11-29, 9:04am
Jacqueline Parkes

Still confused sorry lol

Sooooooooo when you are about to lay down the clear, you start on the left with a small collar of clear close to the mandrel and then continue with your swipes across the bead with a small collar close to the mandrel on the right side?

Just confirming..

Quote:
I get as close to the mandrel as possible with the collar but I can't get close enough, so I go back with the paddle to push it closer. Same for the other side. I make huge focals that are not always round, so this is a good way to make the finished bead look really nice on both sides. I don't always end up with dimples right off the bat because of the shapes that I make so this technique finishes both sides nicely. I'm not really hung up on dimples, but I want both ends to be symmetrical and have a nice smooth finish.

Old 2009-11-29, 9:05am
Jacqueline Parkes

I have had luck with the crystal clear in Moretti but I had much luck with Bullseye clear in the past. I just like to make my florals in bullseyes due to the stiffness and the beautiful rich colors.

So what is this issue called anyways? Is this what is referred to as sooty beads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie lynne View Post
I don't work with bullseye, I'm mostly 104. But maybe you got a different brand with out knowing it... I mean it is CLEAR... hard to tell the manufacturer and quality until it hits the flame, ya know? Do you work 104 at all? If you do I would recommend Moretti Super Clear. I've had great luck with it. I'm no help with bullseye I'm afraid. Where is Squid I think she works mostly with that coe. Maybe shoot her a pm.

Old 2009-11-29, 9:06am
Jacqueline Parkes

Squiiiiiiiiiiiiiddddddddddddddddddd

Old 2009-11-29, 9:12am
Tweedle Dumb

It's called shity clear. Sorry, I had to say it. I really don't know if it has a name other than scummy clear, it happens a lot in the 104 line. Not sure about bullseye.

Old 2009-11-29, 9:16am
Present tense

In my limited experience with Bullseye, I haven't been impressed with their clear. Schott 90 COE, on the other hand, is crystal clear, sparkly, and gorgeous and nearly impossible to scum.

|
|

- non-glassy de-stash (shoes, books, yarn, Coach)
Old 2009-11-29, 9:23am
Jacqueline Parkes

Hmmmmmmmm I have never Schott it so I am assuming it it is compatible with Bullseye due to the same COE?

Ironically, since I finally bit the bullet and asked these questions here this morning, I just made another floral and it turned out perfectly, no scum and nice ends on both sides.

It is hit and miss so I need to understand what I am doing wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthandsky View Post
In my limited experience with Bullseye, I haven't been impressed with their clear. Schott 90 COE, on the other hand, is crystal clear, sparkly, and gorgeous and nearly impossible to scum.

Old 2009-11-29, 9:35am
Debra Clutter

When I work with Bullseye, I just cut up some of the fusiable clear and use that. It seems to work fine.

#C-108
Art is the desire of a man to express himself, to record the reactions of his personality to the world he lives in. -Amy Lowell-

Old 2009-11-29, 9:40am

Never had that problem with BE clear and I can't find my catalog right now. I find that the regular clear (if that's what it is) isn't as bright as Schott, but my favorite is BE Crystal Clear. Crytal clear shimmers as it goes down.

Still doesn't help you with your problem. I never worked BE when I was on an HH, but it does look like soot or dirt. Any chance that it picked something up off your marver?
Old 2009-11-29, 9:40am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsinbloom View Post
Still confused sorry lol

Sooooooooo when you are about to lay down the clear, you start on the left with a small collar of clear close to the mandrel and then continue with your swipes across the bead with a small collar close to the mandrel on the right side?

Just confirming..
Oh, I think we are doing our encasing differently I don't swipe, I go from left to right in a continuous spiral. That's probably why it's not making sense to you If you are swiping, you can do the same thing though. Just make your two collars, and swipe in between them and at the last, push the collar with your paddle close to the mandrel.

Old 2009-11-29, 9:42am
Jacqueline Parkes

I am using the crystal clear and hmmmmmmm on the marver. Going to go clean it now!

I just made another floral and there are about three tiny spots of soot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEW View Post
Never had that problem with BE clear and I can't find my catalog right now. I find that the regular clear (if that's what it is) isn't as bright as Schott, but my favorite is BE Crystal Clear. Crytal clear shimmers as it goes down.

Still doesn't help you with your problem. I never worked BE when I was on an HH, but it does look like soot or dirt. Any chance that it picked something up off your marver?

Old 2009-11-29, 9:43am
Jacqueline Parkes

No I am doing it the way you are, from left to right. I use to try and do continuous but I just end up with a mess. So now I melt and do one swipe, pull off.Melt again and swipe next to the previous layer, rinse, repeat.

Quote:
Oh, I think we are doing our encasing differently I don't swipe, I go from left to right in a continuous spiral. That's probably why it's not making sense to you If you are swiping, you can do the same thing though. Just make your two collars, and swipe in between them and at the last, push the collar with your paddle close to the mandrel.

Old 2009-11-29, 10:17am
Jacqueline Parkes

It is not the marver, sigh.

I will wait to hear about using schott with bullseye

Old 2009-11-29, 11:23am
da General

Schott Clear is the best COE 90 clear to use with BE.

As for losing your dimpled end on one side, it could be that you are not heating your bead in the center when you melt down the encasement. Glass travels towards the flame and if you heat your bead just slightly off centered, you may pull glass from that end and ruin your pucker.

Your mandrel may be slightly off parallel also.

Lastly, as Cynthia mentioned, make sure you have more (and equal amount of) clear glass on both ends (the collars) when you encase to ensure that there is enough to create the puckered ends.

Hope this helps.

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-11-29, 11:55am
Jacqueline Parkes

Your post helps a lot, thank you , thank you!

I have to give my local supplier a call when they open today and see if they have Schott then, fingers crossed as I need it immediately to prepare for a home show on Wednesday.

I have turned down the flame and taken more care with the encasing and now I am having better luck.

I am actually printing out your post lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
Schott Clear is the best COE 90 clear to use with BE.

As for losing your dimpled end on one side, it could be that you are not heating your bead in the center when you melt down the encasement. Glass travels towards the flame and if you heat your bead just slightly off centered, you may pull glass from that end and ruin your pucker.

Your mandrel may be slightly off parallel also.

Lastly, as Cynthia mentioned, make sure you have more (and equal amount of) clear glass on both ends (the collars) when you encase to ensure that there is enough to create the puckered ends.

Hope this helps.

Old 2009-11-29, 3:39pm
I need more boro stuff

You can use Schott with BE but it's stiffer than normal BE.

How long ago did you clean/drain your HH and hose? Did you hang it upside down? I had a brown streaks once on HH when I didn't drain my hose properly.

Old 2009-11-30, 2:23pm

Default my Schott glass

Here is a picture of my bead using Schott which is supposed to be soooooo clear.

It hurts my heart when I read how clear it is supposed to be and I got Schott rods that look like Moretti regular clear but I am positive it is not Moretti..

I was very excited about encasing florals because I learned how to do them pretty well. This picture is not of an encased floral though. I have stopped making them until I find a positively clear 90 COE glass to use.

I have been considering buying the Crystal Clear and now I read this.

Is there a separate Bullseye clear such as the one Paula at Flame Dame has that is better than the Crystal clear 1401?

Or is that the 1401 she has on sale?

I have not talked to her (the supplier) about this problem yet, I really don't know what to say!

Attached Images

Last edited by Carols Glass; 2009-11-30 at 2:27pm.
Old 2009-11-30, 2:38pm
I need more boro stuff

WOW! I never seen schott did that

But then again, I managed to boil Laucha clear now and then eventhough everyone said Laucha clear can takes a lot of heat and won't boil or scum

Old 2009-11-30, 2:43pm

I would think it was me but the Schott glass looks bad to begin with. It looks like Moretti regular clear in rod form. Shouldn't it look clear?

I cleaned it all up with alcohol first and nothing helped.

Maybe I will run the rods through the dishwasher, lol.

I made sure I was holding the beads back at least 4 inches, but I can't turn the flame down any more because it would ruin my lynx I think?
Old 2009-12-02, 8:28pm
Creatrixie

What a frustrating conundrum! Looking forward to some answers...

~Mary

There's always something new to learn!
COE 104
Old 2009-12-02, 8:40pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
My propane tank is new and I am not getting this issue with other brands of clear. I did call the supplier where I purchased the clear and she said that bullseye is not consistent with their clear. Um, what the hell?
hmmm... I have to disagree with that.

I would try working further out in the flame - or you could try using Schott clear. It is compatible with BE and the clearest clear I have ever used.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-12-02, 8:40pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Squiiiiiiiiiiiiiddddddddddddddddddd

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2009-12-02, 8:41pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEW View Post

The Crystal Clear is really nice too.

DOG is my co-pilot