Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-08-14, 1:02pm
Carpe Beadum

Default Seconds - economical or trouble?

Boro is so expensive! Just getting 1/4 lb of all the colors I want to try would the bank! LOL

Boro "seconds" are obviously a lot cheaper, but I don't want to end up with a lot of bad glass. So what's the deal with them? Are "firsts" worth the extra money?

Thanks!!
Disa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"In dreams we pass into the deeper and more universal truth." Carl Jung
Old 2006-08-14, 1:52pm

It really seems to depend, I have gotten a couple of seconds batches that just aren't something I want to make beads out of, and I've also gotten plenty that hardly seem different from first quality.

The worst was a seconds lot of amazon night, the rod isn't solid in color, it is striped blue, green, and grey. This batch doesn't look anything like amazon night when applied onto a bead. I have yet to figure out how to use it and get something pretty!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-08-14, 2:12pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Hi Disa,
I buy a lot of seconds (heck, I live down the road from winship, and they have a sale table - which I always go and poke through!). I really haven't gotten any "bad" boro. Even the weirdest colors are good for something - either as a background color, or (if I really have a lot of something I don't like) I can use it as a "base bead" and apply my better liked colors on top of that in a thinner layer. I bought a bunch of chinese boro that didn't thrill me at first, but then I started using it as a background for my frit mixes and that worked out just peachy!

I would just caution you against going hog wild and buying several pounds of boro seconds. I'm still working my way through the two pounds of ODD weird peach I bought a year ago <g> .

PM me your addy - I'll send you some sample packs of my boro blends to play with.
Old 2006-08-14, 2:15pm
ID10T Problem Solver

Where do you find "seconds"?

Oh, and you will love, love, love Karen's frits!

***Scorpion (4 stud)***
Old 2006-08-14, 2:19pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Like I said - winship has a whole bunch of seconds. Also - I think that glasscraft had a whole bunch in their last newsletter: here's the cut-and-pasted info from the newsletter:

Selected Glass Alchemy Occasionals (not seconds but freaking cheap!)

Just $17 / Pound, While Supplies Last

OC-204 Orange Crayon
OC-4646 Paris Green 6
OC-556 Atlantis Sparkle
OC-558 Teal Sparkle
OC-993 Black Blue

Selected Northstar Seconds

Just $12 / Pound, While Supplies Last

NS-28S Blue Exotic Seconds
NS-52S Teal Seconds
NS-53S Forest Green
NS-65S Cherry Seconds

news@glasscraftinc.com - 888-272-3830 or 303-278-4670 - http://www.glasscraftinc.com
Old 2006-08-14, 2:20pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

You're just sweet as pie, girlfriend!
Didja try out the Blue Mojo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by janakisses
Where do you find "seconds"?

Oh, and you will love, love, love Karen's frits!
Old 2006-08-14, 2:42pm
Serenity Now!

For what it's worth - I sometimes buy "odds" from Glasscraft...they're priced between seconds and firsts, but the colours are the same as firsts (so there's no real surprises, and I don't wind up getting stuck with any weird glass), just sometimes the rods are odd-shaped...a wee bit thicker/thinner than regular, but that doesn't change a thing!

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2006-08-14, 3:43pm
ID10T Problem Solver

Not yet, just the Vampire's Kiss....I plan on playing with more boro this weekend...have a bunch of soft glass orders to get done for this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Hardy

***Scorpion (4 stud)***
Old 2006-08-14, 5:38pm
ManBearPig

Seconds are just that. Seconds. You don't know what you are getting. Sometimes it's okay, sometimes it's junk. And, occasionally you'll get a color out of an odd that you can't reproduce.

Odds are a completely different story. Odds are the same formulation as regular color, just in odd shapes (bent rods, not completely round, etc). And odds are usually pretty cheap as well.

Old 2006-08-14, 7:28pm
senior citizen lampworker

Default seconds,,,good or bad?

My experiance has been about 80/20. 80% bad and 20% good. I wont be buying any more seconds.
Thanks
Mike

A YouTube video I made:
Old 2006-08-17, 2:30pm
ID10T Problem Solver

I tried the Blue Mojo yesterday, and it is lovely! I will post a pic as soon as my batteries charge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Hardy

***Scorpion (4 stud)***
Old 2006-08-17, 2:51pm
boro color bender

I won't buy seconds unless I can put my eyeballs and fingers on them. They are OK in some colors, but worthless in others. Odds are pretty much OK. I am spoiled, I can hand pick it all. I go through thousands of pounds to get my choice picks. Neener neener neener.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-08-19, 8:48pm
product of the universe

I think seconds are pretty sweet. You can get shades of colors that are not the usual. odds sometimes come in very nasty looking rods but very workable. An example of a second i got was the new sno white the rods came all weird looking with clear spots running down the rod. I remixed it and it worked smooth as butter. I found that the glassalchemy seconds are much better than the ns. Also if your working on a new tech that may involve wasting, or ruining color, seconds and odds help aleviate some of worry of money when it comes to learning.
I've also bought firsts at a place around here and i could swear their either seconds or odds. just the nicer ones at the firsts' price which is a bummer if peoople aren't expecting super taxed seconds.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2006-08-20, 10:52pm
Carpe Beadum

Thanks for weighing in, everyone *smiles* I appreciate the advice.

and thanks for the offer of some of your blends, Karen! I'll def be taking you up on that! *Grins*

"In dreams we pass into the deeper and more universal truth." Carl Jung