No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2009-08-11, 1:54pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll Lover View Post
You guys could read the whole thread of course , there are several suggestion on where to get this stuff .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-08-11, 4:00pm

Yeah wow. I went to Michaels and they don't have anything.
Old 2009-08-11, 4:12pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I would bet a hobby shop would have it - a place that has models and stuff.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-08-11, 4:19pm
Senior Moment

There are three Michaels within 30 miles of me. They carry different items. One of them did have the brass and copper mesh. It was the newer of the stores. I'd call around.....

Old 2009-08-11, 4:25pm
Feminist Killjoy

Having a hell of a time finding local stores. Found these guys online:

http://www.smallparts.com/s?ie=UTF8&...FRFWagodqHF0dw
Old 2009-08-11, 5:20pm

HOWACO sells copper mesh too...

http://howacoglass.com/metal_mesh.html

Old 2009-08-12, 6:19am
Dangerous Woman

The brass wire works too. I got brass wire at a hardware store and have had good results with it.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2009-08-12, 2:46pm

Yes, Michae's has it but you got to know where to look. They keeps it at a place to make sculpture like you make a mold to shape of something (like a face) by copper mesh then cover it with ceramic or clay. The stock girl will not know that if you ask them for copper mesh. So, go pass the clay or nimo clay section. It would be next to wood burner. I think the size is 8X8 (not sure forgot already) at $8.99 if you have 40% coupon, it helps and with this size you can make zillion beads (now, don't listen to me at this part.)
Old 2009-08-12, 5:12pm
Anyone need some spacers?

Please count me in on wanting to purchase YOUR method of creating beads. I for one am a tut ho and NEED instructions Good luck with what ever you decide.

Old 2009-08-13, 6:28am

I am a newbe lampworker from Sweden and I discover this technic before I saw any beads with it. I was testing with different metals in beads just for fun, and loved the bubbles from brass. I was using foil and wire.

I just mean that no one can own this technic...

Hugs!!!

Anneli
Old 2009-08-13, 6:59am
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

The plumbing section at Lowe's or Home Depot is a goldmine of mesh. Look for the strainers in the drain section. The brass mesh in the little strainers comes in different sizes and can be easily removed. These also work for sifting frit and applying enamels and micas. Everything old is, at some time or another, new again!

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!
Old 2009-08-13, 11:20am
I speak Murrini!

Good idea, Joan!

Just a reminder, though - when getting Copper or Brass (or even Silver) Mesh, be sure that the product is 100% thru-and-thru of what you're looking for. There is "Copper Mesh" product at Michael's in the Scrap Book Section, but some of it is only "plated" and this definitely doesn't work well in Hot Glass applications!!!! Yuck!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2009-08-13, 7:14pm

Location: Im in Lawrenceburg TN .. about 1 1/2 south of Nashville

I couldnt find any brass mesh in this dinky town ....... TILL .. I went to the music store and bought some screens they use in Pipes . You might want to try a tobaco shop

"If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you have to find the courage to live it."*John Irving*

Old 2009-08-13, 9:01pm
I speak Murrini!

Pfffttt! I haven't had to buy one of those for years...good thinking, Janelyn!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2009-08-14, 1:23pm
Formerly known as LT

I have quite a bit of the brass mesh if anyone can't find it.

Old 2009-09-04, 10:02am

What size? I would like to know if the size is the same size as the sterling mesh? Or is it the tightly woven mesh?So if anyone knows let me know a pic.would help
Old 2009-09-07, 2:56am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetAge Studio View Post
http://www.dickblick.com/products/amaco-wireform-mesh/

There's a few different opening sizes to choose from. Click on the thumbnails to get a closer look at them.

This is where I got mine -- and it works very nicely! The smallest size at the bottom of the list produces tiny bubbles. This stuff is FUN! Encase well and play.

I'm working on a list of online resources for people on the go (on land or at sea).
Old 2009-09-08, 5:50am

Just a quick note if anyone is looking for the brass mesh at Michael's. The store close to home recently reorganized the store, and were no longer carrying the metal meshes at all. The store near to a friend's house, abut 45 minutes away from my home, still had the old setup, and still had the metal meshes available. However, it looks like even that store is clearing them out. I picked up the very last package of brass mesh they had, and it was on clearance. So if you happen to find it at you local Michael's, snag it right away! It's only a roughly 14x18 sheet I think, but that will last me forever. I experimented with it a little bit, and it does bubble nicely, but as I was doing it from memory, I was heating it too much and kept having the bubbles break the surface. Nice fireworks tho. Will definitely have to play with it some more.
Old 2009-09-10, 8:06pm
Beady eyed

Hi there, I posted this bead back in January 09, back then I was trying to make a metal skeleton for my robot and was plugging in bits of watch works. I was really ANNOYED at the bubbles . My opinion is that the rods in the legs were stainless steel, could very well have had grease on them. I don't know.

And yes, there's fireworks if the flame hits thin brass. spit spat kind of stuff. Scared the crap outta me at the time

Personally I think it comes down to application. Is it a bead that tells your story? Get a handle on the technique then apply it the way YOU want to, for the greatest personal satisfaction that is.

My
My

My
My
My
Old 2009-09-10, 9:26pm
uncouthful cats

Georgie - that robot is seriously & fabulously cool!

Oh no! The cats forgot to vacuum AGAIN!
Old 2009-09-11, 7:20am

Just my two cents... but I am wondering if a person could take some fine gauge wire and crochet it and then use it in some of these techniques.... I think I might try it. I picture small doily type patterns plunged and encased.

Oh.. and that Robot is wonderful! Looks like those watches I have in the watch graveyard finally have a purpose!