No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-06-04, 9:59am
SCIENCE Teacher!

Default orange turning red? need opinions

I have just got a small batch of Moretti special opaque orange..I think. It turns red at the drop of a hat, and I mean Xmas red, not an ugly red or anything but it's not orange.

It doesn't do this every time, but even when it stays orange it's a very red-orange. Has anyone heard of this happening? Or maybe I just got some carrot-red-orange?

I have some older orange with yellow center and more recent orange that usually ends up with a red tip on the rod but comes out of the kiln as orange.

Last edited by FosterFire; 2010-06-04 at 11:30am.
Old 2010-06-04, 10:39am
Flame Dames Rule!

Every orange I've bought for the last 2 years turns red. BUT... lately the dark yellows have been turning a beautiful orange!

(hi, Robin!)
*s*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2010-06-04, 10:50am
Hobby Junkie

Mine turns red too. If I layer it over yellow, it looks a bit more orange (still red but an orangish red!)

Old 2010-06-04, 12:39pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

sigh.
Old 2010-06-04, 1:44pm

I use CIM Creamsicle. A little streaky, but more orange.
Old 2010-06-04, 2:54pm
More ideas than talent

Work it cooler.

I find the longer I work the oranges, the redder they become.

Of course the times I am going for that red effect the damn things stay orange...

Old 2010-06-04, 5:53pm
offically down under

orange is turning red for me and the dark lemon yellow is a bit more orange. I have an old vetro odd lot that is a lovely orange but in rod form, it looks the same as candy apple red.

Old 2010-06-05, 6:25am

Also try CIM Clockwork Orange. I put it over Coral Mango and it's a beautiful orange. I'll try to post a pix later.

Old 2010-06-05, 7:42am

Robin, you lucky duck. Now you don't have to mix your own red for your Christmas 'stuff'.

-D

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2010-06-05, 7:47am
SCIENCE Teacher!

I need an opaque regular std issue naval orange color. Not streaky, not transparent. This is a rather larger, rather specific order and I have grown fond of paying my bills on time.
Old 2010-06-06, 8:35am
Glass-aholic

try enamels????

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2010-06-08, 10:58am
SCIENCE Teacher!

Enamels would get expensive for this number of beads. I tried Lauscha orange from about 5-ish years ago and it gets darker than I like, but mostly stays orange. Any other suggestons?
Old 2010-06-08, 2:38pm
offically down under

Dark yellow
Attached Images

Old 2010-06-08, 3:35pm
PyronamixK

CIM Creamsicle and CIM Pumpkin Opaque are that kind of yellow orange like a naval orange. I like the old Effetre 422 for a real orange (like carrot orange), but it might be a little more red than what you're looking for.
Old 2010-06-08, 4:00pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

I have been told I was using "orange delight" which as far as I know, is just an old batch of effetre orange 422. It is very orange with a lighter yellowish core.

The problem is that the beads must closely resemble the sample, or at least give the same idea, visually. I am already using dark yellow in the design, so that won't work as an orange substitute.
Old 2010-06-08, 4:33pm
PyronamixK

Do you have a picture of the sample (even just the part with the color and not the whole thing)?
Old 2010-06-09, 7:15am
SCIENCE Teacher!

scan of rods, the one I need is on the right - will try for photo of rod ends shortly. I have been working for the census and am "on call" so I don't know if I need to run out the door in a few min or not -

oops - on my monitor the rod on the left looks like coral, but it's actually Lauscha orange and not at all coral-ish in person. You can get a glimpse of the yellow end of the good rod on the right.
Attached Images

Old 2010-06-09, 7:31am
Glass-aholic

just for fun now.. how many beads are you making???

maybe between us we can come up with a stash of the orange you were using originally

WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2010-06-09, 7:55am
SCIENCE Teacher!

282 beads total, only one of which has no orange in it.
Old 2010-06-09, 8:46am
Glass-aholic

omg.. that is a big order....! I definitely have a rod or 2 but thats is not going to cover your order!!

Old 2010-06-09, 9:08am
SCIENCE Teacher!

gotta buy dog food, ya know. Called Frantz and STACY went and looked and got me some orange that has a yellow core. I'll let ya'll know how it turns out after I get it.

YEAH! Stacy at Frantz..woo hoo!!

Last edited by FosterFire; 2010-06-09 at 10:45am.
Old 2010-06-09, 11:13am
Dangerous Woman

My red turns orange. I tried to make tomatos and everyone says "Oh look at the cute little pumpkins!". Maybe we should trade.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2010-06-18, 7:53am
SCIENCE Teacher!

OK, there is good news and bad news. Frantz does have a yellow-core orange that stays orange longer. It still turns red if you cook it just a bit too much. But it is better..MUCH better.
Old 2010-06-19, 7:16am
Glass-aholic

that IS good news!!

Old 2010-06-21, 9:22am
Megra Farbot

Robin, I know exactly what you are talking about! I have 2 lbs of the old orange with the yellow core and I hoard it insanely.

I have been working with another color lately to achieve that lovely orange and haven't had to worry at all about overworking it, in fact it seems to like it. I've been using Orange Sherbert, the Vetrofond odd that came out at the same time as the poppy, and it comes out wonderfully. It's a bit lighter than the pic, really a nice true orange.

Old 2010-06-22, 12:16am
More ideas than talent

Does annealing temp make any difference to whether the orange stays orange or goes red? Thinking maybe a lower annealing temp might be better?