Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2009-01-15, 5:34pm

Default Fume with pre-mix problems?????????????

Allright here it go's....So I'm new to the world of pre-mix torches and Am not liking the outcome of my fume jobs as compared to my Surface -mix torch. I like the PM because it rages nice and hot and I can work faster. With the SM I can control my fume colors much better though.

Maybe I'm just psycho...But does anyone else notice the color difference with gold fume on a Pre V.s. a Surface Mix. Here's two pics of two pendants I made today to compare with. The first is with a pre-mix and the second is with a surface mix. Any opinions????????
Attached Images

Old 2009-01-15, 6:04pm

I think you are over fuming with the premix. less fume is better then too much. also what did you use. gold & silver on both?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-01-16, 12:09am

yeah. i mix em ' up. I'll tell ya' that damn pre-mix fumes very very fast. I'm used to fumeing very slowly with small amounts.
Old 2009-01-16, 12:25am

allright check this out...this pendant has much less gold fume... and still (with the pre-mix) it still has that oragngy color. And yes there are many more just like this one. ?????????????????
Attached Images

Old 2009-01-16, 6:32am

still could be too much fume or you are using the wrong flame. With gold I use a oxidizing flame. Try oxidizing, neutral, and reducing to see what flames give you different colors. With a premix torch get the flame to go from a light aqua blue(reducing) to a dark blue(oxidizing) an it should be hissing a little too.
oh and what clear are you using?
Old 2009-01-16, 7:21am
ManBearPig

The type of clear you use will have an effect on the fume (especially the silver). However, assuming you used the same clear for all of them, I'd say that first one you posted has a lot more gold than the second one. To get the greens, you need a light layer of gold and a light layer of silver. Also, you get more of the blues with lighter silver fume.

Old 2009-01-16, 5:35pm

Yeah...I think i'm layering too much fume. That pre-mix just fumes so damn fast its hard to tell. With my SM i could fume a piece for 10 -20 seconds to get what i desire. With this pre-mix it's almost instant.

I'm gonna make some tweeks and get back to you'all with some new pic's. Thanks
Old 2009-01-16, 6:21pm
ManBearPig

I do all my work on a pre-mix. For fuming, it's the best there is. You just have to work it a little differently than on a surface mix.

Old 2009-01-17, 1:30am

Alrighty then...I made some adjustments...took some advice...dialed my flame real small and much more oxidizing than normal. There is definitely improvemnet in color. Not completely there yet but I think I will find it soon. Here's some pics.
Attached Images

Old 2009-01-17, 2:31am

nice! you'll have found by now that pre-mix torches are much more efficient in regards to fuming than surface mix torches, like you said they fume a lot faster and before you know it you've gots a heavy fume with a mirror finish . I bet you will end up preferring the pre-mix for fuming once you've worked it out to your satisfaction, I know I do. Enjoy

Running a
by Miema on LPG and oxy bottles and a GTT Mirage.
Old 2009-01-19, 12:24am
Bust It Big

So what is the best way to fume with a surface mix torch, say on a Lynx??

Old 2009-01-19, 1:41am

for silver i use a real small reduced flame with sharp candles about an inch tall. For gold I use a small oxidizing flame. Not to oxidizing like i'm doing on the pre-mix now. Just a little over the line from a nuetral flame. Put he metals right at the tip of the candles... watch out with the silver it sputters at first but when that goes away your fuming.

I've never used a lynx so I don't know if its different with that triple mix tech. maybe someone else can chime in.