Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2012-07-27, 11:31am
Queen Bee

Default Does Does Boro need better ventilation than soft glass?

I'm in the process of figuring out the ventilation for my studio, using Dale's formula for CFM's based upon the hood size, etc.

My question is: does this formula work for soft glass as well as boro? Or do you need a higher CFM when working boro? I want to make sure I buy a big enough fan to handle both soft and hard glass.

Any help is appreciated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2012-07-27, 11:05pm
Borovangelist

I don't know that you need more for "just" boro. It's when you start getting into fuming that you want better than 'good enough' to get the metals away from you as fast as possible.

Keep in mind, typically you're working a bigger torch. Bigger torch means a higher volume of nasty being produced and also more heat. But if you're working the exact same torch as you're working now for soft glass, and have no intention of going bigger or getting into fuming, then you should be ok with your existing setup.

|
|
Old 2012-07-28, 4:34pm
Queen Bee

Thanks Tom!

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry