Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-01-27, 6:20am
It dazzles, it sparkles

Default Jim Moore vs Retro Glass

I am in the process of deciding to buy a bead liner and wondered if anyone could give me some advice and info on either of the Jim Moore or Retro glass tools.

I do not want this to be like a rivalry i just wondered what the difference is as there is a substantial price difference. Are they easy to use? etc etc benefits? pros and cons, that sort of thing

thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-01-27, 7:42am
FatCat Mama

Can't help you out much as I don't own either tool. I have, however, spent loads of time online looking at them both and longing for one of my own.

One thing I notice is that the Retrotool liner comes with 4 dies, and the Jim Moore press (I'm pretty sure) just comes with one - each additional is $50.00. So they may actually be closer in price if you're in the market for a tool that will line various diameter bead holes.

Once we accept our limits, we go beyond them.
Albert Einstein

Orange Cricket with 10L oxycon and NG
Old 2008-01-27, 7:48am
Formerly SirWatson

I actually got to see the RetroTools beadliner demo'd last week, and I must say it's pretty nifty. It comes with 4 dies like teribeads said, where the Jim's only comes with one. You also need to buy the plastic die to finish the lining using Jim's tool. However, the die that comes with Jim's tool will line beads up to a certain size. If you want to go larger, you'll need to get the next size up.

So...if you want the ability to line beads with varying sized holes, the two tools will probably cost you about the same.

I can tell you RetroTool's is very compact and easy to transport (it comes in a cute little wooden box). I can't be much more help than that as I haven't tried Jim's tool. I really want to though!

Good luck!

<><
Old 2008-01-27, 8:02am
It dazzles, it sparkles

thanks, i just found a thread on here about 8 pages long with info, should have looked first i guess

i am really torn

i am located in the UK and s i stand to pay out approx $130 shipping as well as any customs tax that will be added when it reaches here.

money money money - i wish tax was payable by beads he he

Old 2008-01-27, 8:09am
Meow.

Psssst, it's important to note that the die that comes with the Jim Moore press will flare up to 3/16 tubing -- it's one die that will do all of the same sizes of tubing that the four retro dies do...but to finish off the bead you would need to dap or purchase the plastic die separately with the Jim Moore press. The medium and large flaring dies,sold separately, from Jim Moore are for tubing larger then 3/16.

In short, the Retro Tools liner needs a separate die (included) for 3/32, 1/8, 5/32 and 3/16 tubing - but the standard die that comes with the Jim Moore press flares up to 3/16 with the one die.

I don't think you'll go wrong with either one -- people are loyal to each of them.

Go on. Click it!

Yes. We. Did!
Old 2008-01-27, 8:23am
It dazzles, it sparkles

thanks for that info!!!

i think you may have swung it for me

Old 2008-01-27, 8:33am

I have the Retro tool and although I haven't yet used it (got to get some tubing) I have watched the DVD that Jerry produced and honestly, I'm glad I got this one. It's ONE step. You measure for the tubing, cut it, fit it on the liner, put the bead over it, spin the wheel and you're done.

I also want to point out that the Retro tool is beautifully machined. It's a work of art all by itself. Plus it DOES come in that cute little box

Old 2008-01-27, 8:50am

Here's the main difference that I noticed and noticed it immediately when I got the Retro Tool: If you are going to put a bead cap on using the Retro Tool, the bead cap will be "hanging" off the bead because of the way the bead is set in the tool. This could make it tricky to center the cap over the bead unless your tubing fits perfectly and snug through the bead cap hole.

With the Jim Moore tool, the bead is sitting still on the "plate" with the bead cap already set to rivet and you will be able to control exactly how the bead cap is riveted onto the bead.

A big difference in my opinion. That was always my issue riveting bead caps - keeping that bead set perfectly still during the final riveting.

Old 2008-01-27, 9:15am

Here is my opinion:

I own the Jim Moore lining press! i have no, and i stress no experience! I have been able to successfully line my beads using this tool! I have heard it is the same with the retro bead liner as well!

i went on the idea that Jim Moore is a successful and knowledgeable man of the trade with wonderful glass tools that are well constructed and very sought after! Also, i loved the idea that Andrea Guarino collaberated with him to make this press so that she could make life easier for herself and her wonderful beautiful beads! Knowing how much i love her work and seeing the product i decided to buy Jim's because my motto is "if it aint broke, don't fix it!!!! If it is good enough for them, it is good enough for me!!

Good luck with your decision, i am sure the retro liner is great as well!

steph
Old 2008-01-27, 9:44am
Butterfly Rancher

Has anyone tried lining the beads from Zoozii's Big Hole, Chunky Disc press? I'm using 1/4" hollow mandrels that I ordered from Zoozii's. Any ideas about which would be better?

May 2014 -- Good-bye Florida and Hello Colorado
Old 2008-01-27, 10:06am

With my hand problem I have been trying to eliminate anything that needs to be gripped and turned........ With Jim's press you just have to pull the handle down.... very easy on my hand........

Old 2008-01-27, 10:12am
OY and Psyche Junkie

Beckah,

I have Zoozii's Big Hole Chunky Disc press and I also have Jim Moore's liner. It's a marriage made in Heaven! I've successfully lined three of these disc beads (with 1/4" silver tubing) with no problems. I wish I had a picture to show you, but I've already given away the beads!

Cheers
Kathy

Minor with one concentrator

Old 2008-01-27, 11:14am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

So far, hands down - everyone that I've spoken to that has experience
says that they like the Jim Moore one over the Retro one.
The main reason is ease of use - the retro one lines beads
side-to-side (meaning the bead is sideways when you are working with it).
Apparently, this makes it much harder to line up.

With the Jim Moore press, the bead is straight up and down, so
you don't need a third hand when you are lining the beads.

Again - all the people I've spoken to have had extensive
experience with BOTH machines.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2008-01-27, 11:37am
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckah View Post
Has anyone tried lining the beads from Zoozii's Big Hole, Chunky Disc press? I'm using 1/4" hollow mandrels that I ordered from Zoozii's. Any ideas about which would be better?

I do it all the time & it's easy peasy!!

Vivian

-

Old 2008-01-27, 12:48pm
Dichro Addict

I have the Jim Moore one, and I LOVE it!! The plastic dies press the tubing snug on the bead. No dapping! The tool itself is really heavy and fairly good sized.

Old 2008-01-27, 2:21pm
It dazzles, it sparkles

thanks

so
so
so
so
so
so much for all your information guys.
i am going to mull this all over and decide over the next week
you have helped me so much

Old 2008-01-27, 2:43pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckah View Post
Beckah,
not only have i successfully lined 1/4 inch holes, but i am lining 1/2 holes as well with the jim moore tool!!! I have not tried the other!

It is a heavy tool like Lenora said above, it had to be bolted to the table, and man oh man you get great pulling leverage that way!! lol

steph

Last edited by steph1214; 2008-01-27 at 2:46pm.
Old 2008-01-28, 7:45am
Butterfly Rancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebug View Post
Beckah,

I have Zoozii's Big Hole Chunky Disc press and I also have Jim Moore's liner. It's a marriage made in Heaven! I've successfully lined three of these disc beads (with 1/4" silver tubing) with no problems. I wish I had a picture to show you, but I've already given away the beads!

Cheers
Kathy
Quote:
Originally Posted by VivianLampwork View Post
I do it all the time & it's easy peasy!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfotter View Post
With my hand problem I have been trying to eliminate anything that needs to be gripped and turned........ With Jim's press you just have to pull the handle down.... very easy on my hand........
Quote:
Originally Posted by steph1214 View Post
Beckah,
not only have i successfully lined 1/4 inch holes, but i am lining 1/2 holes as well with the jim moore tool!!! I have not tried the other!

It is a heavy tool like Lenora said above, it had to be bolted to the table, and man oh man you get great pulling leverage that way!! lol

steph
Wow, thanks for all the info! Off to the Jim Moore site... Thanks everyone!

May 2014 -- Good-bye Florida and Hello Colorado
Old 2008-01-28, 12:15pm

[The main reason is ease of use - the retro one lines beads
side-to-side (meaning the bead is sideways when you are working with it).
Apparently, this makes it much harder to line up.

With the Jim Moore press, the bead is straight up and down, so
you don't need a third hand when you are lining the beads.

[/quote]

I have the Retro liner, and don't understand why you'd need a 3rd hand? You turn the wheel with one and keep the bead turning on the liner with the other. I don't have any trouble lining up the bead on the Retro Beadliner.