Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2008-11-27, 9:29pm

Default photos of my new studio

I think this is my first post here at LE. So hello!

I have been lampworking for about 3 years, I was renting studio time the entire time at Flame Kissed Beads in Cary, NC, but sadly they closed. So my awesome husband converted our former carport to a studio for me! It had already been screened off so the 2x4's were already in place at the front and back walls.

I have a Lynx with oxygen tanks. Here are some photos:
http://artsymartha.com/studio.htm

Luckily the FKB folks are still selling glass so I don't need to store any like y'all do.

The room is actually quite large but I only take up the far wall as you see. I need to add more photos to show the whole room, huh.

I have an A/C installed for the summer time. Right now I have a space heater for my feet and another little room heater. I'm quite warm in there even with the window cracked and the fan on, it's insulated quite well.
Old 2008-11-27, 9:42pm

Martha thats a really nice setup! Way to go.

Michelle

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-11-28, 7:00pm

I love the FUN COLORS!!! Is the countertop painted?

"The creative process is a process of surrender, not control.” Julia Cameron

Scorpion on 2 concentrators
Old 2008-11-28, 7:05pm

How fun! Congratulations, you have ventilation and everything! Have fun out there.
Jen
Old 2008-11-29, 2:01pm

I like. What type of fan is that that you are using for your ventilation?

Minor
Old 2008-12-02, 4:52am

Yes the countertop is painted and sealed, it is just a door from Home Depot repurposed as a tabletop. I told my husband not to go nuts on the paint since it would probably get messed up but he's an artist so he had to get it right.

Regarding the fan, it's whatever bathroom fan you can get at Home Depot and it's the slightly stronger one...? We did a smoke test and it pulls the air out just fine. I'm quite lucky to be an an outside wall, no need for duct work.
Old 2008-12-02, 5:12am
Cherine Perrin Glass

Very nice studio. How do you like your bluebird kiln? I'm thinking about buying one.

My Etsy shop: https://
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
face="Verdana">Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/CherinePerrinLampwork/
Old 2008-12-02, 8:52am

Martha, Thanks for sharing. Very nice studio.

Minor
Old 2008-12-02, 2:47pm
Mom to 20 paws

WTG, it looks great.

Jen

Etsy jewelry-

AAA Gemstone Beads Etsy-
Old 2008-12-03, 5:09am

I like the Bluebird. Flame Kissed Beads had a big Arrow Springs brick kiln, so I was hesitant to go with something new and different. But I didn't want to spend that much and I wanted a digital controller. I saw a few positive reviews of the Bluebird and I figured I'd just go for it.

Learning to program it was frustrating but I've finally gotten it down I think. Just follow the directions to the letter. It cools down a lot faster than the brick ones (duh!) but I programmed a cooldown segment so I'm good to go now. I was just turning it off at first but that made me nervous once I saw how fast the temp went down.
Old 2008-12-03, 7:35am
Who me?

Very nice - now that you have broken the ice and posted, can we expect to see some of your work in the S&T? Please........
Old 2008-12-03, 9:31am
glass lampwork artist

So organized and fun... lovely work space! I love the idea for the mandrels too... we are using yoga blocks, works but it isn't as pretty as your bowl of sand.

Old 2008-12-03, 6:45pm

Hi, It looks wonderful! I'm envious. I am a newbie and live Chapel Hill too. I rent studio time but with two young kids I don't get to do as much as I'd like. I thought Flame Kissed Beads totally shut down and the mall was to be demo'ed. Do you mind me asking, have they moved locations/ where are they selling glass? I would love to be able to just run to a store and buy some glass. I can only dream about a studio like yours right now, but maybe someday... Congratulations on your set up!
Old 2008-12-03, 10:04pm

Yes FKB totally shut down the retail store. I think the mall is still standing at the moment.

But Mike will continue to sell glass out of his garage as long as he can, thankfully! Just email him mike@flamekissedbeads.com. Mike helped design my studio set up, he is awesome.

swamper, I will post on S&T, thanks for asking. But my photography leaves much to be desired
Old 2008-12-05, 2:21pm

Thanks for the info about FKB I really appreciate it!
Old 2008-12-06, 8:49am
Cherine Perrin Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsymartha View Post
I like the Bluebird. Flame Kissed Beads had a big Arrow Springs brick kiln, so I was hesitant to go with something new and different. But I didn't want to spend that much and I wanted a digital controller. I saw a few positive reviews of the Bluebird and I figured I'd just go for it.

Learning to program it was frustrating but I've finally gotten it down I think. Just follow the directions to the letter. It cools down a lot faster than the brick ones (duh!) but I programmed a cooldown segment so I'm good to go now. I was just turning it off at first but that made me nervous once I saw how fast the temp went down.

Oh wow, I didn't realize that the inside wasn't kiln bricks. Well as long as you have the cool down schedule right you should be fine. I can't wait to get mine soon, my kiln is ancient!

My Etsy shop: https://
face="Verdana">Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/CherinePerrinLampwork/
Old 2008-12-08, 2:05pm

Artsymartha,
Very nice setup, very well laid outfor the space. Wanted to ask , my girlfriend has been lampwork for several years on a carlyisle mini? and wanted to buy the "Bobcat", I suggested that i help her but the "Lynx " instead, wanted to know your opinion of it.
Also, I just bought her the Bluebird for christmas. I am interested, and amazed at what she can do with glass, Im very proud of her. Thank you, and keep burning the beads.
Old 2008-12-08, 4:13pm

I learned on a Minor and FKB had a Lynx around and said I could use it. I LOVE THIS TORCH!!!! Can't say enough good things about it. I have never used a Bobcat or a Mini so I can't compare.

I was lucky enough to find a new one for sale on eBay when I was ready for it. Otherwise it was going to be a few weeks directly from GTT (and I was doubtful they'd be ready to ship at that time). So plan ahead if it's what you want.
Old 2008-12-09, 10:45am

Artsymartha,
Thank you, I still need so much stuff, that it will be spring, or beyond before everything comes together. Later, when my girlfriend gets here, I would like to have one setup for her,( like she cant go a single day without burning a fews, ) , but i am so proud of what she can do, and I'm hoping to try alittle myself. So my plan will be to get the lynx and a bobcat, so we can both burn. I will be happy to just give her new ideas and directions. Again, thank you. Sweet dreams, Jim.