Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Website help and critique

Website help and critique -- Get assistance with your website.

Old 2010-12-07, 1:54pm
one day at a time

Default I need recommendations for a new website service, please?

I dropped my website service because I can't afford them anymore at $13 a month, and I know there are many much lower cost website services out there. I had the site for quite a while and barely used it because I didn't have time to mess with it. Now I see the need for a website and want to use it mostly a a way to link to my shops, blog, FB, etc. Also to post a customer gallery is very important to me. So I need one that has enough "space" to do a lot yet something affordable and computer illiterate user friendly. I don't plan to sell anything on the site so I don't need a shopping cart service.

Thanks in advance!
Old 2010-12-07, 4:03pm

I too have been thinking about adding a few more website to our list. we have 66 domain names all pointing to a few with websites on them. But I have been hearing that Google no longer considers forwarding domains as link "juice" to boost the website that a domain is being forwarded to.

I was looking at Godaddy.com for just a simple host (5 bucks a month) for a few photos with links back to my sales site. There is the link to their hosting page where they show hosting plans.

I have a few friends that swear doing things this way does bring in more sales to their shops because their product is on the net in more places to be seen. But anyway, it is a 5 dollar hosting package.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-12-08, 12:15pm
one day at a time

Thanks! I forgot about Godaddy, and they have been around a while!
Old 2010-12-08, 1:18pm
Uh Oh....

www.wordpress.com. You can build a website or blog there for free and you get 3.0GB of space. It doesn't cost anything if you use their domain name. It would be something like www.wordpress.com/mywebsite, but if you want to use your own, I believe it's $17.00 a year for the redirect. If you want up upload videos, there is an additional cost but for just having links to your shops and other news worthy items, it's one of the cheapest ways to go.

Old 2010-12-08, 1:22pm
Experimentalist

I pay just a bit more than godaddy... I use hostmonster... I think it's $6 or $7 a month. Very little down time. Pretty good customer service.

Old 2010-12-09, 2:09pm
one day at a time

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I'll check them out!
Old 2010-12-10, 6:47am

You might want to check out Hypermart too. I have used their services since the mid 90"s. Have never had a down time. Support is excellent. I am paying less than $60 a year...think it is $54.
Colleen

Old 2010-12-10, 10:33pm
ManBearPig

www.inmotionhosting.com

Old 2010-12-11, 2:26pm
one day at a time

Thank for the links everyone! Still haven't picked anything yet so I have plenty of time to look around. Right now I'm trying to get my sister to design a "signature" logo design for my header and likely for business cards. This is so exciting! I'm going to get my webpage to look just like I wlays dreamed it would.
Old 2010-12-12, 11:11am

I personally don't like Godaddy. It is a little cheaper, but it is a pain. I don't like the interface of the back-end. When you sign up you need to be careful because they will sign you up with all kind of things you may not want. Keep a close eye on all the check boxes because many of them are automatically checked. But that goes for any webhost, it just seemed like Godaddy was pretty bad about. It may be better now, but I just had a bad experience with it a few years ago.

I use Powweb as my host. First year is $3.88 a month, and then it goes up to $7.77 a month.

I never had a problem with them. I run my website on it, the Frantz Newsletter website and a few other sites on it. The back-end is easy to use, and make it super easy to install wordpress, weebly, zencart and other online applications.

It's not the Camera that takes the photo, it's the photographer.
Old 2010-12-13, 11:45am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith_H View Post
I personally don't like Godaddy. It is a little cheaper, but it is a pain. I don't like the interface of the back-end. When you sign up you need to be careful because they will sign you up with all kind of things you may not want. Keep a close eye on all the check boxes because many of them are automatically checked. But that goes for any webhost, it just seemed like Godaddy was pretty bad about. It may be better now, but I just had a bad experience with it a few years ago.

I use Powweb as my host. First year is $3.88 a month, and then it goes up to $7.77 a month.

I never had a problem with them. I run my website on it, the Frantz Newsletter website and a few other sites on it. The back-end is easy to use, and make it super easy to install wordpress, weebly, zencart and other online applications.
Thanks and oh BTW...I have been wanting your tutorial for some time so I bookmarked your site so I won't forget where to buy it!
Old 2010-12-31, 5:04am

I don't have a site yet, but I've been checking out weebly. It looks pretty interesting.

Mary
Old 2011-01-12, 9:09am
Gentleman of Leisure

Here is who I use for my "other hobby" site... Also Art Glass Answers is hosted here....

http://www.lunarpages.com

Check out "Basic Plan" at $5 a month...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2011-01-12 at 9:11am.
Old 2011-01-14, 10:08am
Melting

Startlogic. They have low prices and the customer service is good. You can call or chat, tech support fixes any problems very quickly. I've been with them for years. I have the Prologic acct for $5.95/month and you get a lot for the money.

http://www.startlogic.com/startlogic/hosting.bml

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20

Last edited by tnehlers; 2011-01-14 at 10:10am.
Old 2011-01-16, 2:44pm
"Sinners have soul too"

I would contact our our own Janelle Zorko... she's awesome.

Old 2011-01-20, 8:32pm

webstarts.com
Old 2011-02-08, 3:42am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnehlers View Post
Startlogic. They have low prices and the customer service is good. You can call or chat, tech support fixes any problems very quickly. I've been with them for years. I have the Prologic acct for $5.95/month and you get a lot for the money.

http://www.startlogic.com/startlogic/hosting.bml
Does STARTLOGIC have templates?

Duane

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2011-02-09, 10:04am
Melting

From my VDeck:

WebSite Creator Limited is FREE in your hosting plan and comes with:

FREE!

* 9 site pages
* 100 templates and various color schemes
* Flash movie capabilities
* Guest book
* Business blog tool
* SiteMap generator
* A site search tool
* And more....

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2011-02-09, 10:23am
Salt Box Beads

I just signed up with Bluehost and get free access to wordpress.
Old 2011-02-11, 1:59am
picking Job's Tears

I'm using Awardspace, the free plan on it, but I admit that I have most of my pages as well as all the images at work. I pay $20/year for the domain name. You can host your images on image hosting sites, DH has his on photobucket (but he doesn't have a website I know of)
-
-
-

Palms Etc. tropical seeds and cuttings:

HotHead on bulk propane and a Glasshive kiln