No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-12-13, 12:31pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Default Vetrofond Glass

Hey there, I have heard different stories concerning vetrofond. That they will be no more and the reasons why. What is the real scoop? I would like to know before falling in love with some of the colors. Mike? Anyone?

thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-12-13, 1:11pm
Glass Addict

My understanding is the Vetrofond's parent company is closing opperations as it is/was the least profitable of their 5 companies owned. Vetrofond will no longer be making glass. I'm not sure as of when, or if they have already stopped production... Maybe Mike Frantz can chime in if anymore stock is due in or if he's simply able to sell "quantity on hand". Many of us that have fallen in love with Vetrofond colors have been stocking up when we can get it on sale and there is still stock available.

Old 2012-12-13, 2:18pm
Slogan Challenged...

Vetrofond is a large supplier of different types of glass products, ....can't quite recall what...blinds or lamp covers or something. They added the lampworking section on and started to make glass rods. There was some connection with Effetre, they are just across from Murano and there might have been some sort of family link. It was said some of the recipes were similar, perhaps why they were mostly compatible.

Someone had said they had trouble with one of their furnaces for lampworking cane, it was mentioned on a glass blog. They haven't got it back up. Otherwise, for some other reason they are no longer making lampworking rods but will still make glass. Frantz has been hinting that production will resume in another factory that will have use of some of the same recipes. I hope this is the case as Frantz's supply definitely seems to be dwindling. I have been wanting to buy more. It's not so much that I think there are colors I can't live without, but that the competition was healthy for the market. I wonder how it will affect the pricing for the rest. Will they continue to woo our affections with more colors and odd lots?
Old 2012-12-13, 2:21pm
Jacqueline Parkes

too late, I just fell in love with candy apply today

sigh

Old 2012-12-13, 3:56pm

This is the story I was told by a local-ish glass supplier. It goes way back, and fits with everything you have all mentioned you heard. It contains the stuff of legend.

*dim the lights, play some calming beach noises*

Years ago, Mr. Moretti, the family patriarch, worked with his daughter in the Moretti factory. When he died/retired, she kept going where he left off, continuing in her passion. She also had two brothers. One of them left town and supported her claim to make glass in the family tradition. Her other brother saw a money-maker and wanted a piece. He took her to court for the family recipe book and equipment.

The court awarded him the family recipe book and some of the equipment. The daughter kept the original factory and more of the equipment, but lost the recipe book, save the ones in her head and notes. They both started to make glass, but the brother was again upset by the thought of his sister continuing to make glass in the family name, and took her to court again. This time, the courts ruled in neither's favour, and both had to start selling glass under new names. The brother became Vetrofond, and the sister became Effetre.

Now the machine that Vetrofond was using broke down, and not having the passion for lamp working glass like his sister, the brother decided to just close up shop on that part of his business.

Facebook:

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:
Old 2012-12-13, 4:23pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Wow that is quite the story!

Hmmmmmmm how sad family members turned on each other ( if the story is true)

Old 2012-12-13, 4:34pm

Well then he can give the frickin' recipe book back!

"Whether you believe that you can or believe that you can't, you're probably right." Henry Ford
Old 2012-12-13, 5:10pm

I fell in love with vetrofond and used that glass almost exclusively in my bead work...mostly because it was less expensive, not to mention how nice the glass worked for me.

I, too, love candy apple, and have slowly been building my stash 1/4 pound at a time! Lol

Beaded Chic

Old 2012-12-13, 5:12pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiP View Post
Well then he can give the frickin' recipe book back!
Yes. Although, clearly she is more talented and no longer needs the recipe book. While I like a lot of Vetrofond, it is known for inconsistency, or rather odd-lots. Sad for this to happen.

Ginko Beads
Old 2012-12-13, 5:19pm

Grace at The Glass Shoppe Studio in Ottawa told me the same story. It it isn't true it certainly is circulating!
Old 2012-12-13, 5:21pm
honorary bead lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlilly1 View Post
It contains the stuff of legend.
And is mostly that according to Mike...

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...0&postcount=26
Old 2012-12-13, 5:52pm

I don't understand.

Facebook:

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:
Old 2012-12-13, 6:28pm
honorary bead lady

The Moretti owner and the Vetrofond owner have/had the same last name but are not related
Old 2012-12-13, 6:55pm
offically down under

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsinbloom View Post
too late, I just fell in love with candy apply today

sigh
This has been my go to red for a long long time. When everyone was gushing about CIM Sangre, I kept my mouth shut and continued with the Candy Apple Red at a fraction of the cost. Then I heard that Vetrofond was going out of business and every time I ordered glass, I got a few pounds of CAR. Our local supplier had it on sale and I bought 5 lbs of it. I love CAR so much, I think I could marry it.

Old 2012-12-14, 7:06am

Wasn't candy apple red an oddlot anyway? It was sold as one over here. So all of it may have been from the same batch anyway and would run out eventually.

|
|
|
|
Old 2012-12-14, 3:20pm
Triumphantly Knit!

I heard/read somewhere that someone bought the Vetrofond recipes and is going to be making glass with those recipes, of course who knows if they'll be the same and I can't remember where I read this, I think in Europe.

namaste
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
Old 2012-12-14, 3:47pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Well candy apple sure is a strange glass. I got way different results before annealing compared to after annealing. Both yummy but I prefer the before results better. I got some really cool colors in the orange family. No idea why...

Old 2012-12-14, 4:04pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Ok, why am I just now hearing about Vetrofond stopping production? My favorite Vetrofond color is Pajama Blue and now I can only get 1/4 pound at a time from Frantz?! So sad!

~
~

#M-191
Old 2013-01-03, 7:21am

Sincerely hope that Vetrofond will continue. Shipping to Mauritius is expensive and being able to buy less expensive glass balances out the more expensive in each shipment. Does anyone have any update on this story?
Old 2013-01-03, 8:13am
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsinbloom View Post
Well candy apple sure is a strange glass. I got way different results before annealing compared to after annealing. Both yummy but I prefer the before results better. I got some really cool colors in the orange family. No idea why...
Candy apple and Orange Punch are close in rod color and some batches were mislabeled.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...andy+apple+red

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=34

I have a bunch of both that I'd sell for what I paid for it. I stocked up on Messy Macaw and Tandoori and don't need the Vetrofond any more.

Pm if interested....

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2013-01-03, 12:24pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Elizabeth - I like the new picture in your sig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Beads View Post
Candy apple and Orange Punch are close in rod color and some batches were mislabeled.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...andy+apple+red

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=34

I have a bunch of both that I'd sell for what I paid for it. I stocked up on Messy Macaw and Tandoori and don't need the Vetrofond any more.

Pm if interested....

~
~

#M-191
Old 2013-01-03, 8:36pm

Elizabeth, how much of the Orange Punch and Candy Apple did you want to get rid of and what were you asking for it? Shipping would be?

Thanks

Andrea
Old 2013-01-03, 9:10pm
Lampworkaholic!

Thanks Aimee. Andrea I will weigh it and pm you a price.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox

Last edited by Elizabeth Beads; 2013-01-03 at 9:21pm.
Old 2013-01-03, 10:03pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginko View Post
While I like a lot of Vetrofond, it is known for inconsistency, or rather odd-lots.
Well, this answers the question I came here for. I just bought a pound of white & I'm very disappointed to find out that little lines of gray dots appear as it cools.

Old 2013-01-03, 10:08pm
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denielle View Post
Well, this answers the question I came here for. I just bought a pound of white & I'm very disappointed to find out that little lines of gray dots appear as it cools.
All the more recent batches of Vetrofond whites are gray or blue or have other issues. I used mine up as bases for nicer colors. Now I'm using up my Vetrofond clear the same way. After that, I'll work my way through translucent yellow....

Old 2013-01-04, 2:17am
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyssa View Post
Ok, why am I just now hearing about Vetrofond stopping production? My favorite Vetrofond color is Pajama Blue and now I can only get 1/4 pound at a time from Frantz?! So sad!
I love that blue too.
Old 2013-01-04, 8:51am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Beads View Post
All the more recent batches of Vetrofond whites are gray or blue or have other issues. I used mine up as bases for nicer colors. Now I'm using up my Vetrofond clear the same way. After that, I'll work my way through translucent yellow....
Yep, I made a bunch of frit beads. That covered it up pretty well.

Old 2013-01-08, 8:26am

I think that glass comes and goes just like yarn, or a particular brand of white dress shirt that your husband loves, or anything else.

Though it's no doubt a drag, the challenge to find new ways of making your go-to beads is also stimulating. I found that competition and outrageous prices kind of made me go cold on the odd lots, even though I will probably regret the loss of light ivory forever.

Now, cue up "Circle of Life," and I'll go make those beads I've been putting off for an hour.

Nolly
Old 2013-01-08, 11:21am
Slogan Challenged...

Philosophical is a good approach. I don't even use all the glass I have.

Although I haven't minded the V. white, they say it has a bluish/aqua cast but I can't see it at all. No lines on mine, that would stink.

-----------
Kristin ~
Old 2013-01-08, 1:48pm

For those who may want to know...I have 3 5/8 of Candy Apple and more than 1/2 lb (i haven't weighed it) of the orange punch.

Duane

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN