No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-01-25, 1:14pm
Cancer SUCKS!

Default Setting up a glass school

I was contacted today about setting up a local glass school/program at a community college. I am trying to get a list together of suppliers, glass, kilns, etc. Also trying to put together a figure on how much it will cost to set it up.

What torch, glass, etc? At this point I don't have a ton of information. Not sure if they are wanting to set up a bead making, fusing or blowing glass.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-01-25, 2:08pm

Default studio

The best person I know to talk to is Jean at Nortel. They make the minor torches - http://www.nortelglass.com/aboutus.shtml
I know she is helping with a major studio set-up here in Toronto for the fall.
jean@nortelmfg.com

Laurie
http://www.designerbeads.com
Old 2010-01-25, 2:09pm

I would definitely find out what kind of activities they want to do.

When I started our club, I had much stained glass equipment and assumed that would hold people's interest. At the time, I only had few pieces of equipment for repairing and fabricating scientific equipment, and also I didn't know about the glass beadmaking explosion that had happened while I was stationed overseas.

Anyway, now I don't have any students interested in stained glass and they are all making beads. I have set up a propane-oxygen torch in the past, but right now, all the students prefer using Hot Heads. I have mentioned that I have materials for fusing and also have some tubing and pulled points, but so far, no one has expressed any interest in fusing or glass blowing.

Of course, I guess you will have some kind of budget and possibly with better equipment, things might be different. I don't receive any funding, so am limited in what I can offer to the club.

So, I believe it would be best to determine what kind of audience is out there and what specific goals and activities they have in mind before proposing an equipment list.
Old 2010-03-10, 1:19pm
Cancer SUCKS!

We have a TROLL!!!!!! This post was interpreted that I was going to teach glass classes at the college level. WOW.

I guess I should have been more specific. My former college teacher contacted me to see if I could provide him a list of suppliers and any glass information I could give him. NOT for me to teach.

I'm speechless.

Old 2010-03-10, 2:17pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Hopeful Journeys View Post
We have a TROLL!!!!!! This post was interpreted that I was going to teach glass classes at the college level. WOW. I guess I should have been more specific. My former college teacher contacted me to see if I could provide him a list of suppliers and any glass information I could give him. NOT for me to teach.I'm speechless.
Huh? Sorry, Deb - but that was sorta the impression I got from my first read of your post as well! Nevertheless, I guess this sets the course direction of your inquiry a bit clearer! Frankly, I think you'd be a great teacher and am kinda sorry it's not going to be YOU teaching!

Anyway, I'm thinking that DeAnza's post made sense to me! When I took a beginner "lampworking" course way back when, we used Hot Heads, had some basic 104 glass in fundamental colors (red, green, blue, yellow, black, white and clear); the teacher provided bead release and mandrels, and the course was a quickie, 4 hour one-time explanation of safety, technique and lab.

One thing for sure: I'd recommend if the teacher is going to go the Hot Head route, use the "c-clamp" holders and don't just have the students lean the torches against the tables (basically holding 'em between their knees) like my teacher did! Yikes! Looking back, that was just insane!

I'll bet there are several LE members who have made their own mandrels and have lots of spares that can be purchased really inexpensively. Depending on the number of students, one good-sized bottle of release should be plenty to go around, and maybe someone has a bunch of Hot Heads from a previous teaching situation you can get a deal on.

Good luck with it! Maybe you can come in to the class and do a "demo" or help with more advanced techniques.

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro

Last edited by theglasszone; 2010-03-10 at 2:25pm. Reason: added word "lampworking" to the course I took...clarifying!
Old 2010-03-10, 2:26pm
<--- Time traveler

I think she means "troll" as in, my douchebag ex is scouring LE for anything he could use against me in court.
Old 2010-03-10, 2:28pm
I speak Murrini!

Oh! Sorry (again!) Deb! That WOULD be nasty behavior! Sheesh, ex, get a life!

Old 2010-03-10, 2:34pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Do we need some of this?

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2010-03-10, 2:36pm
I speak Murrini!

That's AWESOME Dale!

Old 2010-03-10, 2:44pm
working to pay for glass

I would have to agree Jean at Nortel is awesome !
Old 2010-03-10, 2:56pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

I guess it's a good thing they didn't find out about
how you've had to make money selling crack out of the back
of your minivan - or how you're turning tricks to buy expensive
shoes and handbags!

Whoops......

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2010-03-10, 4:32pm
Cancer SUCKS!

OMG, thanks for the laugh. I actually laughed out loud and haven't done that in a LONG time.

Sorry De for the confusion.

Old 2010-03-10, 4:36pm
Cancer SUCKS!

BTW, I did pass on the ISGB, glass vendors, LE, torch manufactures and some other online links to my college instructor. That was over a month ago and I have no clue as to if they are going to add glass making or not.

Guess sometimes you need to be a bit more specific when inquiring about information.

Old 2010-03-10, 4:58pm
PyronamixK

Well, Deb, the title of this thread sounded like it could have been you starting a glass school, BUT the first post made it very clear that you were looking for information on behalf of someone else.

Wow, not only is your troll trolling, your troll has poor reading comprehension. Might I suggest Sylvan Learning Systems? I have seen their commercials.
Old 2010-03-10, 5:26pm
Cancer SUCKS!

Kimberly, I did tell them about GTT!!!!

Old 2010-03-10, 5:37pm

You people are wierd and I'm not the only one who has poor reading comprehension.

The OP asked for suggestions on preparing an equipment list (sentence 2) and proposing a budget (sentence 3). It was also stated that the scope of the program was not defined (sentence 6).

I was suggesting that the scope needs to be defined, giving some personal experience because I attempted a similar student activity program assuming stained glass and fusing, and the actual interest was in beadmaking. It seems reasonable that, given the resources available to schools these days, a limited, realistic input would be more useful than one providing for every possible activity.

And no, I never have and never will have any personal experience with the original poster and I get the hint from post #8.
Old 2010-03-10, 5:42pm
Cancer SUCKS!

De Anza, I'm so sorry that you thought I meant you were the Troll. That wasn't my intention.

I couldn't go into detail about my question, because that is all my instructor gave me. I tried to ask him all the questions that you did and he didn't have any answers. He just wanted links to suppliers, etc.

Old 2010-03-10, 5:50pm
funny mofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by De Anza Art Glass Club View Post
You people are wierd and I'm not the only one who has poor reading comprehension.

The OP asked for suggestions on preparing an equipment list (sentence 2) and proposing a budget (sentence 3). It was also stated that the scope of the program was not defined (sentence 6).

I was suggesting that the scope needs to be defined, giving some personal experience because I attempted a similar student activity program assuming stained glass and fusing, and the actual interest was in beadmaking. It seems reasonable that, given the resources available to schools these days, a limited, realistic input would be more useful than one providing for every possible activity.

And no, I never have and never will have any personal experience with the original poster and I get the hint from post #8.
I don't think anyone thought you were a troll... Your information was interesting and spoke directly to the point, which lead me, at least, to the conclusion that you know what you're talking about and have experience with glass. Deb (the original poster) had a day in court dealing with her ex, and apparently the ex or his legal personnel printed out the thread thinking that Deb was going to start teaching college classes. I also can't imagine that the 'troll spray' was directed towards you.

Now, as for whether people here are weird: speaking for myself only, I can't disprove that at all.

Whoops! Deb beat me to it!
Old 2010-03-10, 5:55pm
Cancer SUCKS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Hardy View Post
I guess it's a good thing they didn't find out about
how you've had to make money selling crack out of the back
of your minivan - or how you're turning tricks to buy expensive
shoes and handbags!

Whoops......
You know working the street corner would definitely be more profitable then the one set of beads I've sold so far this year. LOL

Old 2010-03-11, 11:28am
PyronamixK

Quote:
I did not say that you had reading comprehension problems. I said that Deb's troll had reading comprehension problems.

My comment was mostly a show of support for Deb. It had nothing to do with your post. In fact, I don't think I have even read your post yet. I read what Deb posted on another thread and came in and read her first post and posted my comment.

She said that she was contacted about getting something put together. She did not say that she was asked to teach the class. She also said that she wasn't sure what all they were going to do - fusing, beads, whatever.

At any rate, to use a single vague post that could be taken more than one way and print it out to be used as a weapon in a child custody case is pretty lame. If this troll could not see that Deb's post could be taken in a completely different way, and so firmly believes that it has one and only one meaning - so much so that it should be used against her in a legal matter, then that person does indeed have a reading comprehension problem. The sad thing is that reading comprehension must be the least of these people's problems (the troll, the ex, and the lawyer).
Old 2010-03-11, 11:38am
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
You people are wierd and I'm not the only one who has poor reading comprehension....And no, I never have and never will have any personal experience with the original poster and I get the hint from post #8.
Sheesh, girl...please let it go!

In the beginning I was right there with you, not quite sure what Deb was aiming for; she's since cleared it up, and certainly you can see that if someone (not you for Heaven's sake...the now clearly identified "Troll") was practically stalking her posts to use every little thing against her in a matter of law, she called it as she saw it and clearly let the "Troll" know she knew HE was spying on her!

Deb's good people...and she's apologized for any misunderstanding and clarified that this comment was not aimed at you whatsoever! I hope you can see your way to forgiving and forgetting it. It's definitely NOT all about you, ok?

And yes, it's true, I'm pretty damned weird!

De

Old 2010-03-11, 2:15pm
working to pay for glass

what is a troll ?
Old 2010-03-11, 2:33pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixbabygirls View Post
what is a troll ?
"Troll" is sometimes used as a slang term for a cyber-stalker of sorts, Six. Someone who "trolls" around, following the threads and postings of another user on a forum (or Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, etc.)...sort of a spying kinda thing!

And of course, it's also a cute doll that I used to collect when I was a kid - with big, googlie eyes, a shot of crazy, puffy hair and a bare-neeked bootie!

Wish I still had my collection

Old 2010-03-11, 10:48pm
Cancer SUCKS!

Thank you for the support. It sure has helped me get through this mess.

De I had several of those Troll dolls, how fun. Much better then the other kind of Trolls.