Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-07-02, 8:39am
Puddy Cat Lover

Default Hot Pink glass. Is there no such animal?

One of my customers wanted to know if I had a hot pink color ( like neon) opal glass to make some spacers for her. The best pink I could show her was Bullseye pink. But that wasn't hot enough. Has anyone found a hot pink or does anyone make a hot pink like the ribbon on this picture?

J
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-07-02, 9:27am

what about gaffer gold ruby over white? http://www.gafferglassusa.com/Detail...628&category=9

there is a picture of a hot pink hollow bead in that color on this page, but if you layered it over white it would be opaque like your customer wants... http://www.blackberrybeads.com/archive/Frits.htm

handmade with my headphones on...
Old 2010-07-02, 9:37am
Super Duper

You are going to have to encase. I'd recommend clear over rubino over white or just rubino over white depending on how dense your pink is.

All the gold rubies are basically the same, just some have more pigment than others.

Double encasing spacers might be excessive though.
Old 2010-07-02, 9:44am
needs creative tagline

If you're willing to make the spacers out of boro, there are some borostix pinks that might work.

laura

Facebook -

Lynx with OGSI-15 and big holding tank, Redmax on tanked, and National 3b that swings both ways...
Old 2010-07-02, 10:08am
Puddy Cat Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaha200 View Post
If you're willing to make the spacers out of boro, there are some borostix pinks that might work.

laura
I'm working on a minor. Boro is wonderful, but until I get my bigger torch, I'll have to wait a while. Trying to melt boro on a minor can be compared to watching grass grow. For me anyway. But thank you so very much for the suggestion. You wouldn't happen to have a picture or name of the boro color you're referring too, would you?

J.

Old 2010-07-02, 10:11am
Puddy Cat Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereoette View Post
what about gaffer gold ruby over white? http://www.gafferglassusa.com/Detail...628&category=9

there is a picture of a hot pink hollow bead in that color on this page, but if you layered it over white it would be opaque like your customer wants... http://www.blackberrybeads.com/archive/Frits.htm
I have the gold ruby shards and the frit and I think I may have to try this over a white base. Thank you so much for your help.

J.

Old 2010-07-02, 10:17am
Will work for glass...

The most recent batch of Clio is a very hot pink- almost purple sometimes. Reichenbach opal raspberry is quite nice as well.
Old 2010-07-02, 10:36am

They're probably talking about Uber blush, but I don't have pictures.
Old 2010-07-02, 10:45am
needs creative tagline

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Savina View Post
You wouldn't happen to have a picture or name of the boro color you're referring too, would you?

J.
ABR has pictures of several of the Borostix colors: http://www.dichroicimagery.com/index...424_423_53_328

I'm thinking the Blush could be a good choice. The Cotton Candy is nice too, but maybe not as "hot". They have something called "Uber Blush" too, which I don't recall seeing at other places. Maybe its an odd lot of something? Looks to be "extra intense."

Have you looked at any of the satake colors like Orchid or Raspberry Sorbet? http://shop.dogmawglass.com/index.ph...&productId=153 (please note I am not familiar with this company or recommending it, I just found it through a google search). And satake would be really easy to work on a smaller torch.

If you can't find a color, is there a combination of pixie dust on some base that might work? Something like this?
http://www.dichroicimagery.com/produ...oducts_id=2392

laura

Facebook -

Lynx with OGSI-15 and big holding tank, Redmax on tanked, and National 3b that swings both ways...
Old 2010-07-02, 12:04pm
<--- Time traveler

The pink "mother of pearl" glass is VERY pink. It is most easily found in the fat rods, so you knock off a chunk, heat it up in the kiln, and pull it. You may still be able to get some from CR Loo - I've heard conflicting stories about whether it's still made/stocked. If you want to try it and can't find a source, I'll dig some up for you.

If you search LE for posts by me, with "Mother of Pearl" in the post, you can probably find a photo that I've posted with some sample beads.
Old 2010-07-02, 1:17pm

I would suggest deepening the effect by layering Rubino (or whatever pink transparent you choose) over a saturated pink/purple opaque. EDP encased in Rubino is nice because it does not devit. A soft light pink will work too. But that helps deepen & intensify the color.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2010-07-02, 8:57pm
Lampworkaholic!

Reichenbach Opal Bright Pink Opaque!

http://www.glasscolor.com/products/d...D=111&pID=1239

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-07-03, 5:13am
<--- Time traveler

I dug up those Mother of Pearl photos:

Old 2010-07-03, 7:59am

You can work boro on a minor. I do.

I've got way cool handmade bags for sale in the Garage Sale area for a buck each!
Old 2010-07-03, 10:13am
Crazy Snake Lady

I was going to suggest Reichenbach. Some of the new 104 pinks are beautiful.
Old 2010-07-03, 10:34am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

If you like any of these tell me which one and I can tell you the color. They are all Reichenbach 96

Old 2010-07-03, 10:38am
Crazy Snake Lady

You might also consider enamel. Layer it over a pink base for a double dose.
Old 2010-07-03, 10:47am
SCIENCE Teacher!

Enamels are a great idea, but you might also try Czech pink tourmaline, as it is also 104.
Old 2010-07-03, 11:48am
Pyromaniac

CIM has some pretty pinks.

http://www.creationismessy.com/palette.aspx?id=11

http://www.creationismessy.com/CImag...nberryPink.jpg

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2010-07-03, 12:28pm

Bullseye Hawaiian Punch over white.
Old 2010-07-03, 1:42pm
Back to 👊 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cghipp View Post
I dug up those Mother of Pearl photos:

Those are pretty! Is that also called shampoo glass?

Don't make me cranky, I WILL "chuck a tanty!" a la PerfectDeb

Old 2010-07-03, 2:44pm

Who makes the mother of pearl glass. Is this Reichenbach 104? The purple looks like the Pearl Violet but that pink is really, really vivid!

Old 2010-07-03, 2:53pm
<--- Time traveler

I was once told that this was some kind of out-of-stock German glass, but I don't know if it's true. It isn't the same as the Czech/"Check"/Ornela Shampoo glass, because I'm pretty sure this is 104 COE. And it came in fat glassblowing rods and relatively fat lampworking cane. I have some Shampoo glass and they don't really look the same in rod form, either. This stuff is ringed, and the outer layer is almost completely flat (as in, not glossy). But once you melt it, it seems pretty homogeneous. I haven't experimented with it enough to give you any more info about its working characteristics, unfortunately.
Old 2010-07-03, 8:42pm
Queen Bee

How about Reichenbach Pink Lady?

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2010-07-04, 4:03am
Unmedicated since '62

cim cranberry over white

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2010-07-04, 5:22am

I've used cranberry over white a lot for hot pink but it's still not the hot pink our clients are wanting with lime green and zebra stuff. Like in your ribbon.
I accidently made this hot pink one day and it's probably the pinkest I've come across so far.
I used transparent orange (I know it sounds weird) and silver pixie dust. I was elated when it turned pink on me. Made some great spacers with it and sold them on Etsy pretty quickly. I need to make more.
Attached Images

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2010-07-04, 8:02am
And silence is golden

Donna, those are prettier than Poppy!
Old 2010-07-04, 11:57am
one day at a time

I used to make a very bright fuchsia pink from mixing equal parts of BE transparent cranberry with transparent neo lavender. If I added more of the lavender I got a gorgeous magenta.

Since you are looking for an opaque/opal, you could try layering the transparent cranberry over opal neo lavender and see what you get.
Old 2010-07-04, 1:51pm
Dangerous Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleta View Post
Donna, those are prettier than Poppy!

Shush your mouth!!! Sacrilige!!

Really, Donna they are TDF!!! Really!

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2010-07-04, 1:52pm
Dangerous Woman

I still haven't figured out pixie dust. I just can't seem to do anything with it.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.